Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM

25 posts, read 62,489 times

Advertisements

I have spent a fair amount of time combing through the threads looking for information on where is the best place to live with our family of five. We have two kids in elementary and one in middle school. I have been looking mostly in Montgomery and Prince George's County. We currently live in the suburbs in CT and would like to find something similar, except the prices are insane in the DC suburbs. My husband is hoping not to commute further than 30 to 45 minutes into DC.

The area where we currently live has zero diversity and we are a mixed race family. I am not looking to jump from the pot into the fire in terms of going from all white to all black. A healthy mix is preferred. Schools of course are an issue as well as crime/safety.

I am looking for a little more insight into what county/town would be best for our family and should I be looking elsewhere outside those counties. We would like to stay around 600K if possible.

I have read other threads that seem to turn into debates about race, politics and something else entirely. I am seriously looking for honest feedback as the move will be coming up quickly. We plan to head to DC during Spring Break to scout out some areas.

I am looking for a community feel. Sports for the kids, places to swim, hiking, biking, not too rural and not too city. Does this exist?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:46 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Lots of choices...might want to check out this place, growing rapidly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbana,_Maryland

Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Lots of choices...might want to check out this place, growing rapidly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbana,_Maryland
Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Where in DC would the job be? That might help narrow the neighborhoods down, especially if the plan is to commute via mass transit. Urbana would be a ridiculously horrific commute (2-4 hours a day) no matter where in DC the job's located.

Generally, in MoCo, most people w/your budget and wish list will end up in Rockville or Silver Spring, but there are a lot of good neighborhoods to pick from within those areas so it's really about what makes sense for the commute. DC area traffic is terrible, so that'll quickly turn into the biggest quality of life issue your husband faces if it's not properly accounted for.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:39 AM

53 posts, read 73,245 times
In PG there are some neighborhoods that fit your description. The limiting factor is usually schools. Greenbelt, Hyattsville, College Park area would be worth looking into.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadiblue View Post
Thanks for the link. I will look into it.
Not going to meet your desired commute. Meeting that commute will be tough. Depending on where in DC he is commuting to you might look at Brunswick, MD and take the MARC train in. Lots of new housing being built, Frederick County has great schools, nice communities Or look at other communities in Frederick County and drive to the MARC train or Commuter Bus stop and ride from there. Although the commute is longer you can relax, read, or work while someone else drives. I did it for a year or so out of the 30 I commuted 'down the road'. Some of the easiest commuting I ever had.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:17 PM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
In PG there are some neighborhoods that fit your description. The limiting factor is usually schools. Greenbelt, Hyattsville, College Park area would be worth looking into.
And Bowie

Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Where in DC would the job be? That might help narrow the neighborhoods down, especially if the plan is to commute via mass transit. Urbana would be a ridiculously horrific commute (2-4 hours a day) no matter where in DC the job's located.

Generally, in MoCo, most people w/your budget and wish list will end up in Rockville or Silver Spring, but there are a lot of good neighborhoods to pick from within those areas so it's really about what makes sense for the commute. DC area traffic is terrible, so that'll quickly turn into the biggest quality of life issue your husband faces if it's not properly accounted for.
He will be working right in the heart of downtown DC. We are planning to check out Rockville and Silver Spring. Still trying to figure out how the schools work. Thanks for you reply.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Thank you for your reply. Will look into those areas.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not going to meet your desired commute. Meeting that commute will be tough. Depending on where in DC he is commuting to you might look at Brunswick, MD and take the MARC train in. Lots of new housing being built, Frederick County has great schools, nice communities Or look at other communities in Frederick County and drive to the MARC train or Commuter Bus stop and ride from there. Although the commute is longer you can relax, read, or work while someone else drives. I did it for a year or so out of the 30 I commuted 'down the road'. Some of the easiest commuting I ever had.
I use to live in LA so I understand commuting. I appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland