Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 PM

40 posts, read 266,934 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering buying one of the MI townhouses in Hidden Creek. They were selling other models of townhouses there for over 550K, but the townhouses we are looking at now sell for around 450K (due to the deflated housing bubble) and are nicer. We know that the schools in that area are not good, but we are in our early twenties and therefore do not really have to care about schools for a solid decade. The idea is to build equity while not having to live in a shoebox. Our main concerns are the SAFETY, resale value, and commute time. Diversity doesn't bother us. Any opinions out there, reasons you chose to buy/not buy there, etc?

For those of you who do not know the location it is East of Lakeforest Mall (therefore East of the Rockville Pike) bordered by Midcounty Hwy, Goshen RD, and Girard St. I guess it would be considered Gaithersburg and/or SE Montgomery Village.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:11 PM

I didn't get any responses to my post, any opinions about Hidden Creek or Montgomery Village out there?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times
They built that area in the last few years. I haven't gone near it, but from the looks of it (I pass it all the times), it looks ok. I miss the land that used to be on there. I think Ryan built these cookie cutter houses.

The area borders a low income apartment/condo complex with a lot of illegal hispanic people and typical black people running about. I wouldn't want to go to to LF mall at night anymore.

It's pretty safe because cops patrol the area very heavily. Nightlife is nonexistant. Everything closes at 9:30 or earlier.

It's a 3 or 4 story townhouses...some with garages, some without.

Resale value? Ha! With the shakedown of real estate these days, you can't tell right now.

As Gaithersburg is a popular suburb of DC, you will be faced with heavy population and commuting issues, espeically if you are employed by the federal government.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Yeah, it is not the best area from what I know, but there are not really that many choices in our price range. The choices are pretty much a condo or older small townhouse in a nice area (and everyone knows those will not sell in a less than hot housing market) or a new townhouse in a mediocre area. And that low income housing could be demolished someday as the City of Gaithersburg starts more Old Town improvement projects.

Due to the higher than average crime rate I would not buy anything with less than 2 garage parking spaces (dealing with car break-ins and damage is too much of a hassle). Luckily I do not have to commute into DC or Bethesda.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 11,440 times
Default I love Hidden Creek!!

Hey Lind, I for one don't think you have anything at all to worry about. My place will be ready in January '08 and I can't wait to move in. I'm a Joisey boy from Hudson County (think Sopranos). Gaithersburg on the whole, much less Hidden Creek, is freakin' gorgeous by comparison. The way some people talk you would think there are roving gangs wandering about waiting to prey on unsuspecting victims - puhleaze!! I'd be more concerned about slow drivers staying in the left lane and people not using blinkers...

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Hey thanks for responding to my post! It is so exciting to talk to someone who is buying in that area. Are you buying from M/I and if so, how has your customer service experience been with them so far? I assume you have signed a contract to buy the house, did the contract have M/I's name on it or did it say [Random Name], Ltd? I have just heard this is what developers often do. Also, did you find their financing to be competative with other mortgage bankers/brokers in the area?

Finally, how much of a choice do you get when it comes to exterior brick color? Do you at least get to pick within a range or do they just tell you "this is the way its gonna be"?

Best of luck with your upcoming move!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRooster View Post
Hey Lind, I for one don't think you have anything at all to worry about. My place will be ready in January '08 and I can't wait to move in. I'm a Joisey boy from Hudson County (think Sopranos). Gaithersburg on the whole, much less Hidden Creek, is freakin' gorgeous by comparison. The way some people talk you would think there are roving gangs wandering about waiting to prey on unsuspecting victims - puhleaze!! I'd be more concerned about slow drivers staying in the left lane and people not using blinkers...
Rooster, Think again. I'm a Joisey girl from Kearny. (think Satriel's pork store and uncle Juniors house) I moved to Gaithersbug in 1985 to Christopher Court in Montgomery Village. This is about two or three of "our" city blocks away from where the poster is considering. I too, thought it was paradise. It was for several years. I even sold homes there for the builder who originally had the vision for Montgomery Village.(Clarence Kettler of Kettler Bros, Inc) I sold the homes and lived there with great pride. It was a great neighbothood with great ammenities and close to commuter roads(270 & 355)
I moved to marry in 1992 and at that time it started to change. The market became over inflated and the homeowners there took out thier equity to buy homes in the Norbeck and Bethesda area. They rented out thier homes and the rest is history.......... YES, there are now roving gangs everywhere. The m-13 gang has one of it's largest presences(sp?) there. It is not a safe place to live and the Lake Forest mall makes Downtown Newark look like a romp in the park. REALLY The community looks like Livingston, but lives like Newark.. More scarey, the area around the mall lives like "the projects. "
I almost never say anything negative (I work hard at this), but just want you to be informed. I came from where you are coming from and have been where you are going. I highly suggest moving to Maryland, you will LOVE it. Just re-consider where you are moving to. You can PM me if you wish and though I am new at this I will figure out how to get mail in case you do. Write publically, if I don't respond as I'm not used to this site yet.
P.S. What did you think of the final Soprano's episode? I actually liked it!!!

Last edited by Doorway; 10-25-2007 at 02:12 AM..

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lind1550 View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering buying one of the MI townhouses in Hidden Creek. They were selling other models of townhouses there for over 550K, but the townhouses we are looking at now sell for around 450K (due to the deflated housing bubble) and are nicer. We know that the schools in that area are not good, but we are in our early twenties and therefore do not really have to care about schools for a solid decade. The idea is to build equity while not having to live in a shoebox. Our main concerns are the SAFETY, resale value, and commute time. Diversity doesn't bother us. Any opinions out there, reasons you chose to buy/not buy there, etc?

For those of you who do not know the location it is East of Lakeforest Mall (therefore East of the Rockville Pike) bordered by Midcounty Hwy, Goshen RD, and Girard St. I guess it would be considered Gaithersburg and/or SE Montgomery Village.

Thanks!
PLEASE see my response to __THE ROOSTER___below. In addition to what I said to him consider this..... If the builder has to drop the price 100,000 to sell it new, what are you going to do to sell it used? Though you may not be concerned about schools now, whoever buys from you in the future may be. I sold in Montgomery Village (across from you in aaargh, I can't remember the name.. same side as mall on corner of Goshen and Odenhal?) The only people who bought from me were empty nesters and young singles who did not care that the kids had to go to G'burg High School. That is when I stopped sellling in the Village. Go farther into the Village to "East Village" if you want to stay in that area.(Holly Pointe or East Pointe) Better yet, go down to Shady Grove area. If you want more house, go up to Mt. Airy or Frederick(AVOID Germantown) Lots of new stuff going up in Clarksburg. These more Northern locations may be a bear to commute, but if you are not going into D.C. who cares. You mentioned SAFETY, this is why I say avoid the area you are considering and most areas of Germantown. Lots of Gangs (serious ones) in both places. I promise you you will Hate it and take a loss when you try to get out! Good Luck to you. Don't give up on MD. It is gorgeous and there are tons of things to do. Just choose anything but those two areas. FYI last time I was there was about 2 mos. ago. I kept all my Dr's. after moving to Rockville. So would be there about once a month between kids and Vet. We just moved to Charlotte, NC a month ago. Like it alot, but it is no Md...

Last edited by Doorway; 10-25-2007 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: to go back and get name of Rooster to refer to........

Old 10-26-2007, 05:39 PM

9 posts, read 38,121 times
lind1550

Wow, from some of the responses you would think the area is a impoverished, backward civilization.

Doorway, sounds like a good move to NC for you - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
The area borders a low income apartment/condo complex with a lot of illegal hispanic people and typical black people running about. I wouldn't want to go to to LF mall at night anymore.
That's as assumptive and prejudicial as they come! 'Illegal', 'typical' - please elaborate. Yes, there are rental apartments and condos across Girard Street, townhouses in the $260-330K range across Goshen Road, the Saybrooke neighborhood behind has detached homes in the $450-600K range - not quite the slums. Also across Goshen Road is the Asbury Methodist Home - a very nice and well-cared for community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
It's pretty safe because cops patrol the area very heavily. Nightlife is nonexistant. Everything closes at 9:30 or earlier.
I live within walking distance of Hidden Creek - have not noticed this 'heavy cop patrol' - must have missed it.

Yes, everything closes at 9:30 - it's a normal suburban community, not downtown New York. I don't believe anyone is fooled into thinking Gaithersburg is a 'nightlife' town.

Builder dropping the price - has nothing to do with this location - you will see it in every price range across the state.

Schools - my last kid just graduated from Gaithersburg High -no, he didn't wear a bullet-proof vest. Yes, the school is very diverse with the full range of student abilities, from the lowest to the highest - it won't win any top-10 ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
You mentioned SAFETY, this is why I say avoid the area you are considering and most areas of Germantown. Lots of Gangs (serious ones) in both places. I promise you you will Hate it and take a loss when you try to get out!
Gangs - there was an article in the past year? about the gangs in Montgomery County. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with them, never witnessed them, my kids at school was aware of some but weren't affected by them. But, 'take a loss'?? If you are referring to a loss in the value of your home then the statistics will show, with the exception of the recent market downturn (which of course can't be attributed to 'gangs') , an upward movement of prices/values over time throughout the area.

By the way, I've lived locally for 48 years and walking distance to Hidden Creek for the past 21 years. I don't plan to move anytime soon.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 32,211 times
Red face Hidden creek in Gaithersburg is ok!

I have lived in Hidden Creek for 1 and 1/2 years. This is a good, affordable. place to live for singles and families. There are townhouse condos, individual townhouses and single family houses. It is a new community, and consists mostly of professionals, teachers and policeman. There is a magnificent clubhouse with a fitness center and a huge pool. The community is active in its self governance. We have beautiful woodlands and trails. I have previously lived in King Farm in Rockville, and before that lived in Potomac for 17 years in a colonial on 1 and 1/2 acres of land in the Wooton School district. There is more crime in King Farm than in Hidden creek, by far. check the message boards. Buy in potomac if you dont want to be exposed to any crime within 2 miles, and even that is not a guarantee.
Evere been on I-270 commuting in the am or pm--it has grown into a nightmare..as bad a Shirley Highway [I-95] in VA. If you live in Clarksburg or Urbana, make sure you work in Frederick or you will be spending much of your life in a car. As it turned out , we actually live close in, and that has an awful lot to do with the quality of life, since sitting in traffic is no life.
On the other hand, we are 5 minutes from the Marc train station--you could almost walk it, and some people do. We are 10-15 minutes from the Shady Grove metro, via the mid-county highway, which is divided 4 lane, with only a couple lights, and 45 mph speed limit..it is a pleasure.

And we are close to lots of recreation like golf courses, aquatic centers, sports clubs, etc ., etc.

You can walk to Lakeforest Mall which has a very good food court for a quick dinner, and lots of good stores..if you can't find it there, you don't need it. With the exception of a home depot..have a 10-15 minute ride up to germantown for that, but that is very close and germantown has a great shopping mecca called milestone. You'll have to go down to chevy chase if you want to buy a furcoat, or an Armani suit, but if your not one of those, everything you need is very, very close by.
But the most pleasant surprize i found when I moved here was the city of Gaithersburg. Old town , at the Marc station is uber funky, the community is very active, and i actually have developed a lot of civic pride about gaithersburg..they do an awful lot for its citizens with a lot more to come.
The price to buy here, for what you get and the location can not be beat. They are expcting suburban dc to grow by another 2 or 3 million people over the next 10 years...those people have to have housing someplace and it to be affordable will have to be much further out, which means the values here will likely go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland