Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 74,272 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be moving to Rockville, MD in a few months. WOuld appreciate if someone can suggest good/safe areas to rent apartments. Also, what is a reasonable price range to expect for a 1 and 2 bedrooms? I'm from out of state.

Thanks.

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Most of Rockvillle is pretty safe, but the eastern part bordered by Viers Mill Village is less desirable than the western parts. Generally anything west of I-270 is more affluent, but overall Rockville is a good place to live.

Older 1 bedroom apartments start around $1050 and can rise up to $1600. The closer you are to Bethesda, the more expensive. On average though you would be spending $1200-$1400 for a one bedroom.

A few recommended communities are King Farm, Miramount, Village Square West, Rollins Park, and Avalon at Travalle and Decoverly. You may want to check out reviews on aptratings.com, and check out private listings on Craigslist.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM

thanks TrippingJoe, would you also tell me about Gaithersburg?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,937 times
Default How about the Derwood area of Rockville?

Don't want to high jack this post but we are coming to the area as well and the wife will be working at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I see that the West side of 270 is better/safer from TrippingJays post.

How about Derwood area of Rockville? How does that rate as far as safe and/or schools as well? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdonowa View Post
thanks TrippingJoe, would you also tell me about Gaithersburg?
Gaithersburg has both good and bad areas. Generally the area in the 20878 zip code is pretty safe but can be higher priced, probably about the same range as Rockville of $1200-$1400 for a one bedroom. I lived at Archstone Gaithersburg across from the Rio Center when I first moved to MD and it's a good community.

As you get east of I-270 some of the areas become less desirable but cheaper. I would definately avoid Cider Mill apts (across from Lakeforest mall) and some of the areas on on Summit Ave. Although I have heard good things about the apartments off Christopher Ave by the library.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
Don't want to high jack this post but we are coming to the area as well and the wife will be working at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I see that the West side of 270 is better/safer from TrippingJays post.

How about Derwood area of Rockville? How does that rate as far as safe and/or schools as well? Thanks for any help.
Derwood is a nice area which is actually outside of the the Rockville city limits. Safety-wise you should be fine. I believe the schools are good, not the highest in the county but definately above the national and state average. One thing to know about Derwood is that the proposed Inter County Connector will be built through this, so if you are buying it may be something for you to consider.

Olney is another area adjacent that is desirable as well, but may be far to commute to the Naval Hospital.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Thx TrippingJoe!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,621 times
Default A good place to move

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdonowa View Post
Hi All,

I'll be moving to Rockville, MD in a few months. WOuld appreciate if someone can suggest good/safe areas to rent apartments. Also, what is a reasonable price range to expect for a 1 and 2 bedrooms? I'm from out of state.

Thanks.

Sam

In the center of rockville there is an area called the rockville town center and it is immidiate to everything ex. subway, movies, shops resteraunts, and a kids plaza

Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM

hi trippingjoe,
u lived at archstone apartments in gaithersburg at 9806 mahogany drive? you mentioned it's a good area...how about the bldg? i read some pretty bad reviews about it even though their pics look nice and expensive....any tips? thanks.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM

102 posts, read 467,971 times
PM sent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland