Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 13,365 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a newbie long time lurker of this forum and decided to post something that concerned me. I live in a condo in Gaithersburg, MD for almost a year which I thought was an okay neighborhood but then I saw something that kinda disturbed me.

I went on a week-long vacation to see in my family in Ohio. I got back to Maryland very early and decided to go to a movie. At my bus stop I noticed alleged gang graffiti. It had the Blood gang star symbol (I had to look it up on google) and that frightened me a bit. I asked my family what to do and they suggested to call the police to notify them about the graffiti and to tell them to look out for suspicious behavior. I did just that. The Maryland PD claimed they would check it out and remove it but they haven't yet. Anyway, coming to work I noticed additional graffiti on another bus stop.

While searching through this forum, I fell upon a .pdf file that highlighted gangs in Montgomery county. Lo and behold, their are a pocket of Bloods in Gaithersburg.

The graffiti wasn't there when I started to live there in the fall/winter and it started to pop up now. I also know that it could just be bored kids with nothing to do for the summer and staring to cause trouble.

I'm basically posting cause I wondered if anyone noticed any additional graffiti or any gang activity during the summer. I'm very worried because this part of Gaithersburg seems nice and I don't want to be around if it is starting to get rough. I hope I'm just being paranoid. If not, I might try to find another place to live.

Last edited by PhoenixReborn; 06-22-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 AM

924 posts, read 2,606,803 times
It will eventually happen... Most parts of Mo county used to be nice, now most parts are not... I used to live in Silver Spring, and in Olney and the more years went buy the more thugs and criminals you would see in the area...

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 AM

Yeah I starting to read this website and an article from 2006 said they were on the rise in the neighborhood. I guess they started to stake their claim where I live.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-24-2009 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: please do not post links

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 AM

Sorry to double post, but with that establised: Does anyone know of any nice places to move near the metro system? hehe

Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,937,313 times
could be bored kids, could be hardcore gang members, but if anything the recent tradegy in Crofton should tell us is they both will and can kill.

Be safe!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,893,036 times
Quote:
It will eventually happen... Most parts of Mo county used to be nice, now most parts are not... I used to live in Silver Spring, and in Olney and the more years went buy the more thugs and criminals you would see in the area...
We lived in Germantown for 10 months. I knew we made a mistake about a week after we moved in. I hope I never have reason to step foot in Montgomery County again. We now live in safe, clean, Burke, Virginia.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM

924 posts, read 2,606,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We lived in Germantown for 10 months. I knew we made a mistake about a week after we moved in. I hope I never have reason to step foot in Montgomery County again. We now live in safe, clean, Burke, Virginia.
It really is sad, my Dad grew up on 5th and Florida avenue in DC and worked really hard to get out of the ghetto so that his family could have a nice place to live only to have it follow him everywhere he went... Olney is by no means ghetto but it has steadily gotten worse over the last 20 years... Areas like Germantown and Gaithersburg are already on the way out... I loved living in Southern MD it was very nice there and I like where I live now in Jacksonville, FL...

Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,893,036 times
It is really sad. You can drive around Germantown and see that it used to be a great place. You can see the vision for the community in the stores, walking paths, parks, etc.....

It really is too bad.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,248,298 times
You guys have gangs?
Lol

Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,439,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
It is really sad. You can drive around Germantown and see that it used to be a great place. You can see the vision for the community in the stores, walking paths, parks, etc.....

It really is too bad.
I lived in Germantown about ten years ago, for nearly two years. It was on the way out then. My ex-husband moved to G-burg a few years ago, and he stayed there for a little over a year. He said that both Germantown and parts of Gaithersburg really deteriorated in the last several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland