Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,706 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lanham with friends which was not in a poor area and my 2 of my roommates we robbed at gunpoint. And what you are saying is my point. how many 100K jobs are there around here for everyone in PG COunty? why should we have to be way above the cost of living for safety? There is always the select few privilged mentality that I hate, I make a good salary and I still can't afford to live expensive as a single woman on my salary. I guess we all better get better jobs...

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 44,751 times
i don't think teaching can get me a $100,000 job

Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 AM

176 posts, read 278,840 times
All I have to say is Konterra. You guys who don`t know anythign about Laurel why even write about it? It`s funny how people just run their mouths and don`t even know if that`s how it is. Experience it for yourself and make your own judgement. Do`nt judge from what the mass says. That`s so stupid but their are alot of people not only in this country but the world like that. So yea, check it out and then talk about Laurel. Laurel is the future. LOL. Hate on haters.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,303,077 times
Crime is every where Montgomery county is known for have MS13 gangs we all know. I just move to upper marlboro from the up scale area of washington dc NW dc. The reason I move form dc which had a lot of whites is because my husband and I are tired of getting robbed. Our house got broken into and I almost got killed in my own home. They broke into my husband cars and my car. 3 doors down is a drug house. My next door neighbor is in the criminal justice job field and he just move from NW Dc right by Walter Reed 2 months ago. I have never experience things like that in Upper Marlboro Maryland I feel 100% safe. I know all the neighbors who are all educated and friendly and the kid play together and I feel safer in pg then any where else. If you want to live in a safe environment you have to pay the cost no matter where you live.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Very True. Tell em.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:32 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Crime is every where Montgomery county is known for have MS13 gangs we all know. I just move to upper marlboro from the up scale area of washington dc NW dc. The reason I move form dc which had a lot of whites is because my husband and I are tired of getting robbed. Our house got broken into and I almost got killed in my own home. They broke into my husband cars and my car. 3 doors down is a drug house. My next door neighbor is in the criminal justice job field and he just move from NW Dc right by Walter Reed 2 months ago. I have never experience things like that in Upper Marlboro Maryland I feel 100% safe. I know all the neighbors who are all educated and friendly and the kid play together and I feel safer in pg then any where else. If you want to live in a safe environment you have to pay the cost no matter where you live.
Pay the cost? I pay the taxes! That is no excuse for the inflated prices of homes in the area. And just because crime is eveywhere, there are places where there is less crime. Montgomery does not have as much as PG County. My point is, you found your Utopia in PG. That's good, but everybody is not going to agree with your choice of location. So stop being defensive when people do not agree with your view of the area, because there are REASONS why people feel the way they do. And I still resent the fact that you called me a racist, just because I don't agree with living in the areas you like

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 63,733 times
Living in the DC area, we always have to hear about the stupid, idiotic pieces of criminal garbage that hail from either DC or Prince George's County on a very regular basis on the news. Prince George's County is a joke to the rest of Maryland and the entire metropolitan area. It's absolutely pathetic. Not only is Montgomery County a nicer place to live, but will undoubtedly pay higher wages for those in the educational field and you’ll feel a lot safer, you will regret moving anywhere in Prince George's County. To give some proof for this argument I researched crime data from both PG County and Montgomery County.

Year 2000 Data (US Census Bureau)
PG County - Montgomery County
Assault: 4172 - 871
Burglary: 7042 - 3777
Larceny: 26560 - 18990
Murder: 72 - 12
Rape: 228 - 177
Robbery: 2937 - 813

Statistically, Montgomery County is the safer of the two DC area Maryland counties with populations greater than 800,000.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM

What you think about
Laurel and that goes into four counties and what about the National harbor Project.
Quiet frankly ppl just like ot make themselves feel better by putting down other people. Certain parts of the county are still nie and just as nice as some area in neighboring counties. At least the places I`m use to going.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,303,077 times
Roadtripgurl You live in Hartford county what is in Hartford county no one want to move their. You just mad you live in a very cheap county where no one wants to live but you. What’s the population in Hartford County? I have never heard one person saying hey is moving to Hartford County and I own my own Mortgage Company so I deal with different areas in Maryland. I am not being defensive my whole point is before you bash an entire county live in every city in the county before you talk about the entire county. If you did live in pg county talk about where you live but do not get on line and say the entire county is bad, poor because you only know about a certain area come on be fair. Have you seen in Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Brandywine, Fort Washington, and Clinton all the wonderful communities? I use to live in Nw dc by Walter reed a yr ago and I can only talk about the gun shots I hear and all the crack heads I have seen, and my house been broken into and my car but I will never say the entire city of Washington Dc is bad and have nothing but crime because I didn’t live in the entire city. So stop putting down the entire county of pg. I too agree that in pg county there are bad areas to avoid the bad areas I just do not live their. like I said before if you want a nice community in pg give my community a try one home is for sale its selling for $700,000 let me know road tripgurl if you are interest in buying. I know if you are going to bash the county at least be able to afford the homes.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:53 PM

175 posts, read 733,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Roadtripgurl You live in Hartford county what is in Hartford county no one want to move their. You just mad you live in a very cheap county where no one wants to live but you. What’s the population in Hartford County? I have never heard one person saying hey is moving to Hartford County and I own my own Mortgage Company so I deal with different areas in Maryland. I am not being defensive my whole point is before you bash an entire county live in every city in the county before you talk about the entire county. If you did live in pg county talk about where you live but do not get on line and say the entire county is bad, poor because you only know about a certain area come on be fair. Have you seen in Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Brandywine, Fort Washington, and Clinton all the wonderful communities? I use to live in Nw dc by Walter reed a yr ago and I can only talk about the gun shots I hear and all the crack heads I have seen, and my house been broken into and my car but I will never say the entire city of Washington Dc is bad and have nothing but crime because I didn’t live in the entire city. So stop putting down the entire county of pg. I too agree that in pg county there are bad areas to avoid the bad areas I just do not live their. like I said before if you want a nice community in pg give my community a try one home is for sale its selling for $700,000 let me know road tripgurl if you are interest in buying. I know if you are going to bash the county at least be able to afford the homes.
In all fairness lscalder is pointing out a few valid points. Yes, not all of PG county is a crime ridden hell hole. However, Iscalder, I think the argument that Roadtripgirl is making is simple and equally as valid. Why should she have to live in a crime infested unsafe community just to find affordable living in PG. I think her argument is she is finding the more affordable living in whatever county it is and a lot less crime. Now, obviously there are a number of reasons it is cheaper to live further away from a major city then it is to live closer to a major city. My parents live in the neighborhood and area you are talking Iscalder and my mom hates it and would prefer to live in Fairfax. Now, you're right there are not many crime issues in their neighborhood, but they have to leave that neighborhood and it is like living in a third world country when they leave. Most of the county is in the dumps! Yes, there are a "few" neighborhoods that are extremely nice with a lot of well to do black americans, but the majority of PG is not that way and I think that's what most people are saying. I do not think anyone here would disagree with you in saying that there are well to do blacks living in the county. I think the disagreement comes from saying the whole county is the wonderful perfect utopia of black success. I'm sorry making a 150k is not a lot of money. I mean making 300k is not a lot of money. You're really not living a true upper middle class life until you're making over 600k - 800k after taxes.

I digress, but I would have to strongly agree. Now, why are people saying such negative things about PG? The main reason is the crime why the hell is a county full of black americans so dangerous and why the heck are they always killing each other and robbing people and stealing cars? There is no excuse for that in what is supposed to be a "suburban county." Now there is crime everywhere you're right, but nothing near the level of PG county. I live in the northeast and we leave our door open and unlocked would you do that in your neighborhood? I mean i lived in Mclean, Va for a brief time period and there was a gang shooting in a neighborhood with 6000-8000 sq foot houses. Obviously it did not make the nightly news as Mclean has the money to keep that stuff under rugs and I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the local paper there, but that was a very random one time event. Upper Marlboro, MD is not bad, but Largo is, Kettering is, and Landover is, and those are all in close proximity to one another, so naturally crime spills over. Look if you're an upper class person looking to live the "american dream" PG is probably not the best place to experience, that dream. I'm not saying you cannot have the American dream in PG, but i'd recommend a more respected zip code in a more respectable county. Look if PG did not have the crime problem, did not have the shcool system problem, then you'd have a valid arguement that a lot of people crapping on the county is because there's a black middle class majority, but with all the problems there, there are way too many valid reasons to make such accusation of the county.

Last edited by howsitgoingdude3; 05-11-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland