Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 11,522 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker that currently resides in Virginia. 5 years ago my family and I moved out of New York (Brooklyn) and since then we have spent 3 years in Virginia, 2 years in Connecticut, and now wew are back in Virginia. We want out of Virginia for various reasons and are thinking about MD because it is close to NYC. From what we have researched we are considering etiher Columbia or Silver Spring. We have 3 kids and would like to be in a diverse place that is safe for kids but has a night life. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 PM

150 posts, read 595,856 times
Colombia and Silver Spring offer some very different things, for starters Silver Spring offer a more urban feel than Colombia downtown Silver Spring is much more dense and urban than Columbia. As well, it is adjacent to DC so that also contributes. Some good things about Silver Spring are that it offers high diversity, walking anywhere downtown one will encounter quite and eclectic mix of restaurants and small retailers from all over the place. You expressed the need for a good night life, here you have it, with nearby bars, clubs and, music venues, Silver Spring's night life beats Columbia's any day. Being from New York, you would find Silver Spring to be more familiar. Some good things about Columbia are its professional and business environment, many IT and defense contractors have hubs in or near Columbia. Columbia is generally regarded as very family oriented and safe. The school around Columbia are some of the best in the country, if kid safe if you're chief concern then Columbia is a better option. The only downside to Columbia is that it is more expensive to live in than Silver Spring, the average 4BR house in Silver Spring might be 500K while it would be 600K in columbia, not a huge difference but it still should be a consideration.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,784 times
I can't speak about Silver Spring but Columbia is very safe and family friendly. However it is the "burbs", I would not say that it has a night life. IMO, prices have fallen in Columbia making it more affordable, perhaps they have done the same in Silver Springs. I think you can definitely find a 4 bedroom <600K. Depending on if you want a single family or a townhouse and where you want to live you can find houses between 400 - 600k. Of course there are some for more than 600k as well.

Where in Connecticut did you live? Most cities there do not have a night life either. of course there are a few exceptions, such as Stamford.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 11,522 times
Thanks for the answering my question. We are leaning toward Silver Spring or that immediate area because it most resembles what we know as New Yorkers. We have tried the slow life in VA and are not found of it. Once a New Yorker always a New Yorker.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynProduct View Post
Thanks for the answering my question. We are leaning toward Silver Spring or that immediate area because it most resembles what we know as New Yorkers. We have tried the slow life in VA and are not found of it. Once a New Yorker always a New Yorker.

Night life may not be as much in Columbia as in Silver Spring, but you are only a 30 minutes or less drive, from either downtown Baltimore (Harbor Place) or D. C. When it comes to education for your children, Howard County, where Columbia is located, has one of the highest rated academic systems in the state...if that is a consideration. It really is not that "slow paced".

Last edited by candel; 09-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland