Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 42,212 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and his brother have recently been looking to move in to a townhouse in Montgomery village. after seeing the neighborhood and inside of the property i am very unsettled as to how well they will be living here. can anyone give me some incite into how good or bad of an area this is to live in. is it going to be safe to have cars and large dogs outside? i guess what i'm looking for is a little peace of mind that even though the complex doesnt look that great its still not a bad place. the place they are looking at is fairly close to watkins mill hs.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
Hi, I just moved to Montgomery Village and so far I havent found anything unsafe about it. Which complex are they looking at exactly. I hear there are shady characters at Lake Forest Mall. I Haven't been there yet. The townhouse complex along Club House road look a lil rough. The shopping center looks dated. Other than that, I have no problems with the place. I think the key advice here is to be careful which community you decide to move into. Where are they looking exactly?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM

i'm not sure what the complex name was called but it was off of apple ridge i believe. right near the highschool.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
Oh ok. Were they looking at foreclosures or normal sales? Because a foreclosure is most likely going to look rough on the inside anyway.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM

as far as i know its a normal sale rental townhouse.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,531 times
Ask if it's in McKendrie I or II

Those are the most run down of the neighborhoods off Apple Ridge. I should know, I live in one of them! It's not unsafe IMO but it isn't exactly safe either.. if that makes sense. I think there are a lot of seedy things that happen, but you don't really see them... The neighborhood isn't really well taken care of.. but I'm okay with renting here for now. I don't want to be here much longer than a year...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,035 times
Most areas of G'burg are safe. The exceptions are: Old Town, Federal Ct & surrounding inside streets, Towne Crest apts, and Streamside apts. Areas right on Lakeforest Mall are a crapshoot. At night the Lakeforest mall gets seedy.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:31 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Gaithersburg is pretty big and has its good and bad parts. Watkins Mill is a good high school and so is Quince Orchard. Gaithersburg HS does have a negative reputation within Montgomery County as a "ghetto" school but its all relative, this being Montgomery County where most people don't have a clue about the outside world. All of the schools in the county are above the national average I believe.

However the center of Gaithersburg, around Lakeforest Mall and Gaithersburg HS is seeing a large influx of illegal immigrants, and it is common knowledge that this is correlated with crime, drugs, and gang activity. Also the revitalization of Washington DC is also pushing the ghetto outwards. Make sure to check that wherever they live there is no Section 8 housing nearby, this is VERY important.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Make sure to check that wherever they live there is no Section 8 housing nearby, this is VERY important.
Sigh

Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 AM

516 posts, read 1,375,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Gaithersburg is pretty big and has its good and bad parts. Watkins Mill is a good high school and so is Quince Orchard. Gaithersburg HS does have a negative reputation within Montgomery County as a "ghetto" school but its all relative, this being Montgomery County where most people don't have a clue about the outside world. All of the schools in the county are above the national average I believe.

However the center of Gaithersburg, around Lakeforest Mall and Gaithersburg HS is seeing a large influx of illegal immigrants, and it is common knowledge that this is correlated with crime, drugs, and gang activity. Also the revitalization of Washington DC is also pushing the ghetto outwards. Make sure to check that wherever they live there is no Section 8 housing nearby, this is VERY important.

There is a HUGE amount of Section 8 housing in Montgomery Village.. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is I suppose depending on your opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland