Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Good news!!!! I had a meeting close to Whole Foods and afterwards detoured by to check out the place. Not one single bum or Confederate reenacter anywhere to be seen. Nothing but guys in Gucci loafers and girls in Capri pants.
I noticed that someone wrote graffiti over the sign there that is pro illegal immigrant, and someone who was anti illegal immigrant spray painted "nobody has a right to be here illegally" on it, right before the hardware store I believe and between the mac dee cleaners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I noticed that someone wrote graffiti over the sign there that is pro illegal immigrant, and someone who was anti illegal immigrant spray painted "nobody has a right to be here illegally" on it, right before the hardware store I believe and between the mac dee cleaners.
Nope never happened.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
" I noticed that someone wrote graffiti over the sign there that is pro illegal immigrant, and someone who was anti illegal immigrant spray painted "nobody has a right to be here illegally" on it, right before the hardware store I believe and between the mac dee cleaners."

And? A bit of graffiti does not a bad neighborhood make. And IIRC, Logan borders Shaw which is still a bit rough around the edges. It's not like there's a force field keeping the riff-raff out. Yeah one would be wise to have a heightened sense of awareness whilst walking there at night, but it's still not dangerous/crappy anymore. It kind of passed the event horizon when Whole Foods opened.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
" I noticed that someone wrote graffiti over the sign there that is pro illegal immigrant, and someone who was anti illegal immigrant spray painted "nobody has a right to be here illegally" on it, right before the hardware store I believe and between the mac dee cleaners."

And? A bit of graffiti does not a bad neighborhood make. And IIRC, Logan borders Shaw which is still a bit rough around the edges. It's not like there's a force field keeping the riff-raff out. Yeah one would be wise to have a heightened sense of awareness whilst walking there at night, but it's still not dangerous/crappy anymore. It kind of passed the event horizon when Whole Foods opened.
It was actually conservative graffiti.. I think that was my point. Maybe the area has changed. But I figured after 1.5 years, it would have had less vacancies. There used to be some garage bar/restaurant that apparently was a lesbian bar, then that closed, and whatever replaced it closed. Walked by and there was a liquor license application on the window..

I didn't walk past P street though. maybe it's different up that way... But there were plenty of closed down places, screaming crazy people. They still have the homeless shelter by the church there. Honestly, Thai Tanic looked closed too, but wasn't positive.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,737 times
Quote:
Haven't been there in 2 years. Some of the constructed buildings are done, but there are plenty of closed shops. Things that have gone out of business, still crazy bums screaming and yelling. Thought it might have changed, but hasn't.
Well, just on the 1400 block of P Street, Whole Foods and CVS are rennovating their stores. Lululemon, Pitango Gelato, and Sweet Green have all opened. If you made it out to 14th Street, you might notice that between N and Rhode Island, Churchkey and Birch & Barley have opened as has the Ghana Cafe. Also the Copperstone building was renovated and is in the process of getting more ground floor tenants. Also added are the BioScrip Pharmacy and offices for Fathom Creative. Coming soon is a new business next to the Crew Club.

Moving north along 14th Street to the 1500 block, we now have Timothy Paul, ACKC, and Universal Gear on the east side of the street. On the west side, I'm sure you noticed the new wine store and that Estadio will be opening in a few weeks. Yes, Garden District did close its location on that block, but Estadio swooped in to take its place. Also, Posto has replaced Viridian.

On the 1600 block, did you notice MidCity Cafe or Miss Pixie's? Did you make it any further north to see the huge new Garden District location, Point Chaud, or Policy? Are you clued in to the neighborhood enough to notice that the sketchy used car dealers have all been chased out and that Fenty is targeting the pawn shops next? Did you know that vacant dry cleaner on the corner of 14th and Q is going to become an Italian restaurant and bakery? Also, the hulking building on the southwest corner of 14th and T is now a three-story Room and Board.

There are plans for development of almost every vacant building and open lot. For example, a condo building is coming to the southwest corner of 14th and R and the owners of Local 16 will be opening up a new spot on 14th just south of U. Central Union Mission has already sold its building contingent on closing on a new location. The Whitman Walker Clinic location at 14th and S will soon be redeveloped.

But, sure, nothing's changed in the past two years.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
The Kentland doesn't have bums screaming and yelling and closed down shops and sidewalks that smell like urine.
Neither does Logan. You're confused.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
Well, just on the 1400 block of P Street, Whole Foods and CVS are rennovating their stores. Lululemon, Pitango Gelato, and Sweet Green have all opened. If you made it out to 14th Street, you might notice that between N and Rhode Island, Churchkey and Birch & Barley have opened as has the Ghana Cafe. Also the Copperstone building was renovated and is in the process of getting more ground floor tenants. Also added are the BioScrip Pharmacy and offices for Fathom Creative. Coming soon is a new business next to the Crew Club.

Moving north along 14th Street to the 1500 block, we now have Timothy Paul, ACKC, and Universal Gear on the east side of the street. On the west side, I'm sure you noticed the new wine store and that Estadio will be opening in a few weeks. Yes, Garden District did close its location on that block, but Estadio swooped in to take its place. Also, Posto has replaced Viridian.

On the 1600 block, did you notice MidCity Cafe or Miss Pixie's? Did you make it any further north to see the huge new Garden District location, Point Chaud, or Policy? Are you clued in to the neighborhood enough to notice that the sketchy used car dealers have all been chased out and that Fenty is targeting the pawn shops next? Did you know that vacant dry cleaner on the corner of 14th and Q is going to become an Italian restaurant and bakery? Also, the hulking building on the southwest corner of 14th and T is now a three-story Room and Board.

There are plans for development of almost every vacant building and open lot. For example, a condo building is coming to the southwest corner of 14th and R and the owners of Local 16 will be opening up a new spot on 14th just south of U. Central Union Mission has already sold its building contingent on closing on a new location. The Whitman Walker Clinic location at 14th and S will soon be redeveloped.

But, sure, nothing's changed in the past two years.
And let's not forget all of the places that have opened up during the last two years along 14th Street between R and T: Cork, Flowers on 14th (moving into the old Cafe Salsa location), Cork Market, Point Chaud crepes, Masa 14, Rue 14, Redeem, in addition to all of the businesses that were already there (Pulp, Home Rule, Saint-Ex, Bar Pilar, etc.)

And let's also not forget the refurbished (and very active) Source Theater, and of couse the aformentioned Whitman-Walker development, set to break ground this fall.

Yep, same old Logan. LOL

Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Honestly, Thai Tanic looked closed too, but wasn't positive.
When were you there? Tuesday afternoon at 3 PM? Thai Tanic is always packed. In fact, they recently opened a second floor lounge. We picked up carryout from them last Monday night, and there was a wait for a table at 9:30 PM. On a Monday.

Seriously, stop by and visit sometime. We'll show you around. You've got some very circa-1997 perceptions of the 'hood.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonym99 View Post
More things shut down? Do you read any of the local blogs? There are new cafes, bars, and shops opening in Logan Circle practically every day. Neighboring Shaw/Mt. Vernon is being built up like mad.
<ahem> 14th & You: Preparing For a Busy Summer in Shaw

Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,737 times
Quote:
But I figured after 1.5 years, it would have had less vacancies. There used to be some garage bar/restaurant that apparently was a lesbian bar, then that closed, and whatever replaced it closed. Walked by and there was a liquor license application on the window..
You're thinking of Dakota Cowgirl at 1337 14th Street. The lower floor of the building is now Birch & Barley and the top floor is Churchkey. Both are owned by the same restaurant group. They opened last October and have remained open. Did you really walk by recently or did you just go to the out-of-date Google Streetview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC