Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus phoenix View Post
How about Bethesda or Rockville?
Rockville seems more friendly to mixing than Bethesda to me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 AM

10 posts, read 11,102 times
Its cheaper to live there as well. The crowd in Bethesda seemed to old for me.

I wish there was a freeway through DC....its unbeleivable that it takes almost an hour to commute just 10 miles.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Quote:
Its cheaper to live there as well. The crowd in Bethesda seemed to old for me.

I wish there was a freeway through DC....its unbeleivable that it takes almost an hour to commute just 10 miles.
There is on the East Side.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am a single guy who moved to DC recently from California and am having a tough time making friends/ meeting women in DC. Coming from the west coast, I am not used to this level of unfriendliness that I have seen in DC in my short time here. Is this normal for this area? Any advice on how I should try and break in with the people here or should I pack my bags and head back to California? Is Maryland any better?
Ever consider becoming a doctor or a lawyer?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But there are different status levels for both doctors and lawyers..

Status people in DC will make a distinguishment. Oh, and if you get with a woman who wants you because you are a lawyer, and you wind up hating being a lawyer, and switch to a less "status"ish job, she'll say buh bye.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 11,102 times
Quote:
I am a CPA, graduate degree from a top school, work for the Federal Govt. Not good enough?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I am a CPA, graduate degree from a top school, work for the Federal Govt. Not good enough?
It may be, but it's much easier to get nurses or secretaries who work with you interested in you if you're a doctor or lawyer. That's not what I did, but I've noticed how prevalent it is.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
It may be, but it's much easier to get nurses or secretaries who work with you interested in you if you're a doctor or lawyer. That's not what I did, but I've noticed how prevalent it is.
Remember, if you get married, you are responsible for maintaining her lifestyle even if the marriage ends if you marry a woman who makes a lot less than you do.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
I have to agree with the OP. Making friends in DC, unless you're a high-end lobbyist/lawyer/associate of a politician, is a challenge, especially if you know no one who's already here. Everyone who seems to have "enjoyed DC" has friends who are already here when they move, or at least that's the case for all of my room mates.

The difficulty especially applies to historically underprivileged minorities who want to branch out or are "Americanized." Many assimilated minorities tend to be better off in the social and interracial dating arena in Northern Virginia, which is ironically the most "conservative" part of the DC area. As a result, the quote by ahales is pretty much spot-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I haven't noticed much interracial scenery in the city, but I see nothing but interracial couples in NOVA. I normally meet a lot of latino and Asian girls in NOVA who are into black guys. I have a white friend who meets tons of black girls in NOVA, who are into white guys. That is just my personal observation though.
Also, having certain hobbies that would be seen as normal for the 16-30 male demographic like playing video games (even ones for adults like MW2 and GoW ), liking certain movies and shows like action and comedy, and watching certain sports like football and UFC/MMA, are looked down upon by most of the general DC crowds as being "blue-collarish," but is more acceptable amongst most people in NoVA and some parts of DC suburban Maryland.

Quote:
How about Bethesda or Rockville?
You can try those places, but you're probably going to face the suburban conundrum of not being able to meet many people in your age range, especially if you're in your twenties.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM

81 posts, read 176,018 times
Quote:
@BigCityDreamer -This is so true...LOL

Get some phony business cards and tell them you're a lawyer or a doctor, women eat that up here.

I understand the problems with meeting friends but problems meeting women??? Here???? How??? There are too many single women, go to a club or bar, there are tons of women everywhere and they look good!!!, it's overwhelming really. It all depends on your type, most of the women in a club, bar, whether during happy hour or at night are pretty shallow when it comes to meeting people who aren’t a lawyer or doctor, you may have the occasional down to earth woman but they're usually married or in a serious relationship already. There's also a large proportionate of women in DC that just go to work and then run back home to watch cable TV, they don't go out during the weekends neither. Why? don't really know, DC is a southern city at heart, so partying it up all the time doesn't really appeal to them??? (crazy assumption I know)

If not the phony business cards, what you should do is be a bit more aggressive, don't go to a bar and wait for people to talk, don't wear plain clothes and stand around holding a beer. You won't attract much attention that way. Be aggressive, take initiative, buy the lady interested in a drink, approach her and say something clever or corny. Another idea is to find an organization to be a part of, there are a lot listed on meetup.com, join one and attend a event. Eventually you'll strike gold and meet someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC