Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM

147 posts, read 218,908 times

Advertisements

Hi. As many know, I am about to move to the area. I think I have settled on the Silver Spring area. I will be needing all new furniture, as I am leaving mine here and renting out my condo as a furnished unit.

Can anyone suggest great, but affordable furniture in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM

159 posts, read 360,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Hi. As many know, I am about to move to the area. I think I have settled on the Silver Spring area. I will be needing all new furniture, as I am leaving mine here and renting out my condo as a furnished unit.

Can anyone suggest great, but affordable furniture in that area?

Thanks!
Hi Kelly.

Interesting. I keep an apartment in NoVA and rent it out as a furnished sublet. Anyway, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on furniture so I found myself visiting HomeGoods every week, sometimes bi-weekly. I actually found high quality throw rugs, dishes, silverware, pillows, you name it, they have it, and there are a few locations in MD -

HomeGoods: Unique Home Decor and Affordable Home Furnishings

If you're looking for a great mattress at a heavily discounted price, go here -

US-Mattress for Sealy, Stearns & Foster, Simmons or Serta Mattress Sets

Free delivery too!

Don't forget World Market!

Home Furnishings, Home Décor and Living Room Furniture at World Market

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Hi Kelly.

Interesting. I keep an apartment in NoVA and rent it out as a furnished sublet. Anyway, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on furniture so I found myself visiting HomeGoods every week, sometimes bi-weekly. I actually found high quality throw rugs, dishes, silverware, pillows, you name it, they have it, and there are a few locations in MD -

HomeGoods: Unique Home Decor and Affordable Home Furnishings

If you're looking for a great mattress at a heavily discounted price, go here -

US-Mattress for Sealy, Stearns & Foster, Simmons or Serta Mattress Sets

Free delivery too!

Don't forget World Market!

Home Furnishings, Home Décor and Living Room Furniture at World Market

Good luck!
Perfect! I love the mattress one! That will be my first purchase.
Thank you.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 PM

159 posts, read 360,017 times
You're welcome. I dug through my old online receipts and found that I bought that the Queen Sealy Gem Turquoise Plush Pillowtop Mattress and yes, indeed, it's a gem. It's so comfortable! And no, I'm not an undercover shill for them or Sealy!

If you have any other questions, you are more than welcome to email!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Home goods is really great for rugs. I bought a big area rug for my living room there for $100, and it's really nice. The same price range at target gets you something that feels super cheap, but home goods is a notch above.

For tables and tv units and such, I got mine off craigslist. I found some really nice end tables and coffee tables and whatever for dirt cheap, and they're all still in good condition. I just had to rent a truck for the day to pick up stuff, but it was pretty painless and the savings were substantial enough to justify it.

I'm not sure where the best place for sofas is--I was lucky to inherit some from a relative.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
the good thing about DC is there are a lot of people moving back and forth in short periods of time and need to unload all their stuff. I got all the furniture for my house for under $350. A couple was moving to Europe. They sold their Mercedes Benz for $2500 to a guy right before I contacted them.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
the good thing about DC is there are a lot of people moving back and forth in short periods of time and need to unload all their stuff. I got all the furniture for my house for under $350. A couple was moving to Europe. They sold their Mercedes Benz for $2500 to a guy right before I contacted them.

Bummer! I think that I will do some serious CL digging. Thanks, you guys!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
Craigslist, lots of deals, so much stuff cause people are moving. I got rid of EVERY single piece of furniture when I moved out of my apartment I was shocked how fast it went.

Keep in mind items that are good go fast. happy hunting.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
So, some of you are comfortable with buying used furniture? I don't know, I guess it depends on what condition they're in. But still.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, some of you are comfortable with buying used furniture? I don't know, I guess it depends on what condition they're in. But still.
if it's in good condition why not? makes perfect sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC