Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times

Advertisements

I just got off a packed Yellow Line train, and just can't believe how rude some people are!!! While on the train, a man stepped on a woman's feet with his full weight and full force when the train made a jerk. She was wearing flip flops (bad idea), and started crying for several minutes, as I'm sure she was in a lot of pain. This man clearly saw what he had done, but didn't even apologize! When we got off the train, he tried to dart off, but at a bottleneck I confronted him, telling him (loud enough for others to hear) that the least he could have done was apologize. He promptly said "thanks" and ran off.

Question for you all... when you see such grossly inappropriate and rude behavior, do you watch it complacently, or do you confront people? I feel like more and more, as each year goes by, we just let stuff like this go, but I really think that people need to be held accountable. Any thoughts on being confrontational with super-rude people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
That's not rudeness--it sounds like it was an accident. Anyway, if the train was packed, how were you able to get a clear view of someone's feet? Story does not pass the smell test

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Stepping on her was an accident, not apologizing is downright rude.

I rarely see super rude behavior, mainly cos I rarely ride at rush hour.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times
Sorry it doesn't pass your smell test, stars99. He knew what he did, especially right after when he looked her in the face when she was crying. He knew what he did, and refused to even acknoweldge it. Smell any better to you?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ View Post
I just got off a packed Yellow Line train, and just can't believe how rude some people are!!! While on the train, a man stepped on a woman's feet with his full weight and full force when the train made a jerk. She was wearing flip flops (bad idea), and started crying for several minutes, as I'm sure she was in a lot of pain. This man clearly saw what he had done, but didn't even apologize! When we got off the train, he tried to dart off, but at a bottleneck I confronted him, telling him (loud enough for others to hear) that the least he could have done was apologize. He promptly said "thanks" and ran off.

Question for you all... when you see such grossly inappropriate and rude behavior, do you watch it complacently, or do you confront people? I feel like more and more, as each year goes by, we just let stuff like this go, but I really think that people need to be held accountable. Any thoughts on being confrontational with super-rude people?
I got shoved, walked into, and someone stepped on my shoe, causing it to fly off, none got apologies, and it's no big deal. these things happen.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
The incident is certainly plausible, but not typical. Most of the rudeness I notice consists of young people, mostly guys, not giving their seats to the elderly or women who are pregnant. And there seems to be a few out there who commandeer an extra seat with their bag and then leave it there even as the car fills up.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The incident is certainly plausible, but not typical. Most of the rudeness I notice consists of young people, mostly guys, not giving their seats to the elderly or women who are pregnant. And there seems to be a few out there who commandeer an extra seat with their bag and then leave it there even as the car fills up.
"people" like that tend to be oblivious to the world around them. One has to confront them, wake them up in a sense, and ask them if they can move their bag.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
This morning, a young heffa was sitting with her legs crossed toward the aisle. I saw people walking around her legs. She had this look of, "so what". She was sitting across from me. When I was leaving the train, I hit her legs with my bag.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
"people" like that tend to be oblivious to the world around them. One has to confront them, wake them up in a sense, and ask them if they can move their bag.
I agree. And I do just that.

Nonetheless, how many crowded Metro trains must one ride with their bag before the learning curve is ascended? That is why I suspect some do it in the hopes that it will dissuade others from asking them to move their bag.

I do it as well- if the car has only a few people (a rarity) and there is a surplus of empty seats.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
This is such a non issue. Next time you go grocery shopping, look at how how people, and possibly you yourself behave there. I see the most self absorbed actions in supermarkets, FAR worse than on the metro. People will block entire aisles, they see you, they won't move their carts, like you came there to watch them shop. Just watch. My pet peeve is grocery shopping because of how rude people are there, but I know that happens, and I expect it, and it doesnt' ruin my day, because I know that's what happens in grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC