Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm144 View Post
Funny how that works in the normal areas hey, where reporting crime to the police is the norm. You would think it is some sort of mystery to those in the ghetto. Oh no, it is much too easy to blame others and accuse them of bringing the guns and the drugs, than take responsibility for your own community.
And hey wouldn't you know? I actually helped my neighbors too!!! I thought all us evil gentrifers could care less about each other right? It's not something only found in the ghetto. I'm not saying that they lack it, but to suggest that the "everybody knows everybody" thing actually leads to lower crime is absurd. Not breaking the law is what leads to lower crime.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
You mean like the no snitch rule? Without a doubt, people of all races out in the burbs are much more friendly and actually caring than in any ghetto. There is a reason why most ghettos have homicide rates similar to levels in third world countries. The last word that comes to mind when I see people in a ghetto is caring. If they cared, they would not live in squalor and would actually help one another.
I'm not defending the no snitch practice, but there is a much stronger sense of community. I've experienced it firsthand.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
A real community is a place where you don't have to live in a dump surrounded by drug dealers, pimps, and hookers and take a stand without being called a "snitch".

A real community is a place where your kids can play outside or in the park without fear of being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time because of some rival crews having beef with each other.

A real community is a place where businesses would want to invest without fear of being robbed every few weeks or have employees that would actually want to live in that neighborhood.

A real community is a place someone would want to visit instead of being directed to avoid that area.
1. Disobeying the no-snitching rule will get you KILLED in a ghetto.

2. Its not true that you fear for your life in a ghetto whatsoever.

3.Local businesses almost never get robbed, unless the owner engages in illegal activity, like being a stash house for a drug gang. If you have ties with the community, even the drug dealers, why would they want you to rob them?

4. Why? Because us people are brown? If you are not a drug dealer or a prostitute then you will probably never have anything happen to you. The people who are robbed are either drug dealers or people not familiar with the area.

Overall- Drug gangs, particularly kingpins, are violent towards other drug gangs, HOWEVER, they watch out for their community. They may kill a guy from the next neighborhood over, but they give the local kids money and help THEIR OWN neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Funny how that works in the normal areas hey, where reporting crime to the police is the norm. You would think it is some sort of mystery to those in the ghetto. Oh no, it is much too easy to blame others and accuse them of bringing the guns and the drugs, than take responsibility for your own community.

The icing on the cake is that any champ like Bill Cosby, who is trying to make a difference, is silenced so crackheads like Marion and idiots like Jesse are heard instead.

My African American neighbor is probably stricter than my old man was, particularly regarding things like rap and who his kids hang out with. Not to my surprise, his son is going to UVA and his daughter has been accepted into Cornell this year. Yet, I am sure someone is going to rant on about culture and music have nothing to do with anything.
I'm gonna say it again, calling the cops on someone will get you KILLED in a bad area. I knew a guy who was accused of calling the cops, and guess what happened? He was reported missing 2 days later. The cops don't know what happened but everyone in the community knew. No one told the police what happened because that would mean they would end up just like him. That guy was murdered in an abandoned house, and to this day the police don't know what happened.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I'm gonna say it again, calling the cops on someone will get you KILLED in a bad area. I knew a guy who was accused of calling the cops, and guess what happened? He was reported missing 2 days later. The cops don't know what happened but everyone in the community knew. No one told the police what happened because that would mean they would end up just like him. That guy was murdered in an abandoned house, and to this day the police don't know what happened.
Wow. Great way to kill your argument. So lets get this straight, in your "real" community, taking a stand against criminals will get you killed.

Why are you arguing for this again?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

113 posts, read 190,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm not defending the no snitch practice, but there is a much stronger sense of community. I've experienced it firsthand.
When anyone of my neighbors needs assistance, we all chip in. You name it, we have done it, especially if they are seniors.

I find it hard to believe that people living in the war-zones surrounding DC, chip in with anything. There is no excuse for anyone to by holding the latest iphone, when even I do not have, but live in a house that is falling apart.

Considering so many in the ghettos have so much time on their hand to hang out, perhaps this could be used helping others renovate. It should also alleviate the boredom that leads to 70 people brawls.

The situation there is that this would involve assisting one another as a community, which seems to negate the belief that they help one another. Hanging out on your neighbors steps is hardly indicative of a community spirit.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Wow. Great way to kill your argument. So lets get this straight, in your "real" community, taking a stand against criminals will get you killed.

Why are you arguing for this again?
Unfortunately, yes it will.
Thats just the reality and im arguing because you guys make it seem as if gentrification will stop that problem.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
When anyone of my neighbors needs assistance, we all chip in. You name it, we have done it, especially if they are seniors.

I find it hard to believe that people living in the war-zones surrounding DC, chip in with anything. There is no excuse for anyone to by holding the latest iphone, when even I do not have, but live in a house that is falling apart.

Considering so many in the ghettos have so much time on their hand to hang out, perhaps this could be used helping others renovate. It should also alleviate the boredom that leads to 70 people brawls.

The situation there is that this would involve assisting one another as a community, which seems to negate the belief that they help one another. Hanging out on your neighbors steps is hardly indicative of a community spirit.
Chipping in to help your neighbors is different then having a real relationship with everyone on the block

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM

113 posts, read 190,433 times
Quote:
I believe it. So why does everyone else get the blame for this pathetic attitude and circumstance? In other words, the community brings it on themselves.

When push comes to shove, these communities have no excuse. These drug dealers and criminals threaten the community, yet instead of them being called out for their actions, many look to the wealthy or the middle-class to blame.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Chipping in to help your neighbors is different then having a real relationship with everyone on the block
Whats the point of having a "real" realtionship if your aren't going to help them if you see something bad going on or count on them to have your back when you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC