Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,251 times

Advertisements

Worst College Rankings: Washington Monthly's 2010 Dropout Factories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM

331 posts, read 903,719 times
No BS I don't even wanna go to UDC anymore after reading that.
How can the university of the nations capitol be that bad.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
No BS I don't even wanna go to UDC anymore after reading that.
How can the university of the nations capitol be that bad.
There are two or three coffee shops/restaurants right next the UDC campus. All have outdoor seating. I would recommend you have lunch and observe. Perhaps you will figure it out.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

81 posts, read 175,950 times
University of Dumb Children (UDC) is what the natives call it, UDC has such a negative stigma here and around of country. It's sad that the only public university in the nation's capital is perceived so poorly. Many of the colleges on that are on that list are located in areas where the economy and wealth of student body in terms of education and resources is nothing to brag about, however can we really say the same for UDC? So why is it so bad?

I was talking to my Aunt this weekend who is a long-time DC resident and she told me that UDC at one time was a great school with highly trained professors from top universities around the world. She said that the school ran into problems trying to keep enrollment up and money coming in so they began accepted students from "more deserving" backgrounds and the dropout rate went up and the quality of education went down.

The problem with UDC is that it operated as a community college and is the only public university in DC. They accepted kids who came from the dilapidated DC public school system and were expected to rectify the lack of education these kids received all those years as well as provide them with a decent college education so they could compete with the better private institutions in the area. This was a huge burden and a bad starting point for the school to begin with.

I only hope things improve with the recent opening of the Community College of DC. Now kids coming from underprivileged neighborhoods (most of the time from east of the river) can hone skills before going on to the collegiate level and improve the overall ranking of the school.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
Did anyone read the article that accompanied the list?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
University of Dumb Children (UDC) is what the natives call it, UDC has such a negative stigma here and around of country. It's sad that the only public university in the nation's capital is perceived so poorly. Many of the colleges on that are on that list are located in areas where the economy and wealth of student body in terms of education and resources is nothing to brag about, however can we really say the same for UDC? So why is it so bad?

I was talking to my Aunt this weekend who is a long-time DC resident and she told me that UDC at one time was a great school with highly trained professors from top universities around the world. She said that the school ran into problems trying to keep enrollment up and money coming in so they began accepted students from "more deserving" backgrounds and the dropout rate went up and the quality of education went down.

The problem with UDC is that it operated as a community college and is the only public university in DC. They accepted kids who came from the dilapidated DC public school system and were expected to rectify the lack of education these kids received all those years as well as provide them with a decent college education so they could compete with the better private institutions in the area. This was a huge burden and a bad starting point for the school to begin with.

I only hope things improve with the recent opening of the Community College of DC. Now kids coming from underprivileged neighborhoods (most of the time from east of the river) can hone skills before going on to the collegiate level and improve the overall ranking of the school.
I must disagree with your aunt. UDC has not been around very long (1976), relatively speaking, and has never had anything but a lackluster reputation. I do not know if it has changed, but their admission standards were soley graduating from a DC public school (no mean feat) and scoring 200 on the SATs (also not very difficult).

Such standards, if you would call them that, are simply not going to produce a school with students exhibiting the necessary critical thinking and reasoning skills that would comprise what we generally term a college education. You can put lipstick on a pig, but...

The fact that it is no challenge at all to gain admission, yet so many drop out says it all. These are kids whom are simply not college material- not everybody is as such. I also do not see where a community college would do much better, unless it focused more on vocational training and certification rather than a transitway to a 4 year college.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM

I am totally against Open enrollment at the University level.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times

Old 08-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I did.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I must disagree with your aunt. UDC has not been around very long (1976), relatively speaking, and has never had anything but a lackluster reputation. I do not know if it has changed, but their admission standards were soley graduating from a DC public school (no mean feat) and scoring 200 on the SATs (also not very difficult).

The fact that it is no challenge at all to gain admission, yet so many drop out says it all. These are kids whom are simply not college material- not everybody is as such. I also do not see where a community college would do much better, unless it focused more on vocational training and certification rather than a transitway to a 4 year college.
What do you suggest? I certainly hope you aren't suggesting that DC shouldn't have any type of community college-like institutions. Not everyone has a right to go to Georgetown but everyone has a right to an education. Every community in the country has some type of open enrollment institution why should DC be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I am totally against Open enrollment at the University level.
Well if there's no community college there has be somewhere that the poor and non-ivy league can go to get an education. I don't know just sounds well...elitist. Easy for you to say that if you've already got your degree.
__________________________________________________ ______________-

I don't know. I guess I'd be in one of those statistics as well since I didn't graduate college until I was 26. Not everyone can do the traditional 4 year route. Come to think of it I don't think I have any close friends from my hometown in Georgia that graduated in 4 years if at all. Life happens. Finishing school in 4 years is a luxury not a birthright; nor is it an indication of laziness or stupidity.

Again, I don't know. There's more to a school than how many graduated in 4 years although I realize that a school's drop out rate gives more leeway than that.

Does University of DC need to clean up its image? Yes. But denying those from less than stellar backgrounds the chance to redeem themselves and make a better life is NOT the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: