Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times

Advertisements

Well in that case the problem really lies in DCPS. The only other solution I can think of would be to establish some sort of preparatory college. Something like this

United States Military Academy Preparatory School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, y'know, for UDC instead of West Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well in that case the problem really lies in DCPS. The only other solution I can think of would be to establish some sort of preparatory college. Something like this

United States Military Academy Preparatory School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I attended DCPS. I studied hard and was admitted to all but one of the colleges to which I applied.

The answer for people who are not college material is for them not to attend college. College is simply not for everyone.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I attended DCPS. I studied hard and was admitted to all but one of the colleges to which I applied.

The answer for people who are not college material is for them not to attend college. College is simply not for everyone.
I agree that it isn't for everyone... and that's a problem throughout the country. People have it drilled into their heads that they HAVE to go to college or else they'll be frying potatoes the rest of their lives, when there are other options (vocational school, the military).

Were your parents involved in your life? That's yet another facet of this issue. Parents who just aren't involved or don't care about their kid's academic successes. If the people you're around the most and raise you don't care, you probably won't either.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I agree that it isn't for everyone... and that's a problem throughout the country. People have it drilled into their heads that they HAVE to go to college or else they'll be frying potatoes the rest of their lives, when there are other options (vocational school, the military).

Were your parents involved in your life? That's yet another facet of this issue. Parents who just aren't involved or don't care about their kid's academic successes. If the people you're around the most and raise you don't care, you probably won't either.
Yes, they were. I had my bouts of laziness. One example- balking at learning the multiplation tables. My father pointed out the window and said, "Take a good look, because you are not going out there until you KNOW these." Had them down by the end of the day. Furthermore, all Murch>Deal>Wilson parents in our area were very involved in the school whether it was PTA or fundraising.

You have correctly identified their problem, at least a large part of it. The damage is done way before they reach UDC.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,251 times
I wish people had to apply to have kids.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM

81 posts, read 175,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I must disagree with your aunt. UDC has not been around very long (1976), relatively speaking, and has never had anything but a lackluster reputation.
My Aunt was the first I ever heard this from, but I don't disagree and try not to throw the previous generaton under the bus so quickly .

UDC was several schools before it became UDC. To my knowledge it was Federal City College and some of its programs came from the Antioch School of DC. It was also a number of historically Black schools and colleges before then.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM

81 posts, read 175,950 times
Quote:

I don't know how a military prep school could solve the problem. Some charter schools in DC (I don't particularly like them) offer preparatory programs, some are affective and some are not.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
I don't know how a military prep school could solve the problem. Some charter schools in DC (I don't particularly like them) offer preparatory programs, some are affective and some are not.
I was saying that there ought to be a school that prepares one for the rigors of a good university, not unlike the prep school for West Point. And like I said, it would not have a military focus.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
My Aunt was the first I ever heard this from, but I don't disagree and try not to throw the previous generaton under the bus so quickly .

UDC was several schools before it became UDC. To my knowledge it was Federal City College and some of its programs came from the Antioch School of DC. It was also a number of historically Black schools and colleges before then.
As well as Teachers College.

Real Ivy League group of schools there.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I wish people had to apply to have kids.
Amen!!! You have to pretty much apply to get a dog but can pop out babies left and right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: