Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Really? I think DC has an awful lot of European influence and plenty of european residents all over. It's actually one of the things I like a lot about the area -- where else can one so easily make friends with people from Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, etc? Perhaps I missed your point.
That's interesting.

Actually I was just thinking that I don't know ANY city in the US that has a bunch of 1st generation european residents all over the place.

But DC with the UN, Embassies and universities...seems like a possibility.

If I were to think of ONE spot...I'm thinking maybe Miami. But not to any large degree.

--

I've often thought it's a bit strange that the US makes it so difficult for Europeans to live and work in the States. Reciprocially, the European Union makes it almost impossible for an American to live and work in Europe. (Whereas Canadians/Australians/Kiwis/South Africans are 'commonwealth' and can live and work in UK for 2 years with no visa hassle as long as they are under a certain age - I think 27 or 30 or something). But it makes it that European countries have large Australian communities, etc. Canada has very large British communities and other Europeans. Australia and New Zealand have an enormous amounts of 1st generation Brits and other Europeans everywhere in large pockets.

The U.S....nah. We've excluded ourselves from that. Always wondered why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 910 times
There was once a thriving Italian community in Washington, DC in the Judiciary Square area. Its where the old Italian church and cultural center still stands, Holy Rosary / Casa Italiana. The old Italian neighborhood is long gone, half was wiped out by the building of the 3rd Street tunnel. The priest who turned to the White House to ask that the church be spared during construction, Jackie Kennedy stood up for Holy Rosary and save it. Park View and upper Columbia Heights and the Petworth neighborhoods were once Italian many years ago, but as Italians assimilated and "moved up and out", in combination with white flight, they scattered to the inner suburbs of Maryland and Northern VA. No Italian enclave currently exists in DC. The church is the only testament standing as the center of the community long long ago.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hholeus View Post
There was once a thriving Italian community in Washington, DC in the Judiciary Square area. Its where the old Italian church and cultural center still stands, Holy Rosary / Casa Italiana. The old Italian neighborhood is long gone, half was wiped out by the building of the 3rd Street tunnel. The priest who turned to the White House to ask that the church be spared during construction, Jackie Kennedy stood up for Holy Rosary and save it. Park View and upper Columbia Heights and the Petworth neighborhoods were once Italian many years ago, but as Italians assimilated and "moved up and out", in combination with white flight, they scattered to the inner suburbs of Maryland and Northern VA. No Italian enclave currently exists in DC. The church is the only testament standing as the center of the community long long ago.
Im just the curious type and want to know what you were thinking when you were researching Italian neighborhoods in order to pull up a 5 year old thread.

No agenda, I just like to know what people are thinking.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:54 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Google can do that to you. And where one was led, others will be also. Certainly the post served the thematic interests of the thread quite well.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Come to Baltimore and bring your BOCCA game!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Schiavo View Post
i ask because i want to visit your city, but i want to make sure there is an italian neighborhood. i REFUSE to visit any city that doesn't have an italian neighborhood (just not worth my while). i have to feel comfortable around people that know how to behave, are super repsectful, have delicious food, and live like honest good hearted catholics. if i like i will buy something in that great italian neighborhood. my grandfather started a got damfoccacia EMPIRE and kow we are looking to expand, if people are up on the level of enjoying high-end bread!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:19 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hholeus View Post
There was once a thriving Italian community in Washington, DC in the Judiciary Square area. Its where the old Italian church and cultural center still stands, Holy Rosary / Casa Italiana.
Drove over there yesterday on my way down to the Nats game. It was easy to find. Seems like the west side of Swampoodle was Italian in the early part of the 20th century while the east side was Irish. Easy to see how Union Station and 395 kind of blew both sides of the area up.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:34 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I remember visiting some Italian markets and restaurants back in the 1970s and '80s around 5th and 6th Streets NW between Mass. Ave and New York Ave. I have heard that this area was once DC's "Little Italy".

Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Drove over there yesterday on my way down to the Nats game. It was easy to find. Seems like the west side of Swampoodle was Italian in the early part of the 20th century while the east side was Irish. Easy to see how Union Station and 395 kind of blew both sides of the area up.
Oh that's really interesting info. Always thought all of Swampoodle was a mainly Irish neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
The only big US cities that still have Italian neighborhoods are: NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and Baltimore.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
The only big US cities that still have Italian neighborhoods are: NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and Baltimore.
Baltimore definitely doesn't belong on this list with these other cities. Baltimore's little Italy is small and several other cities have more/bigger Italian neighborhoods than Baltimore.

Buffalo, Providence, New Haven, Pittsburgh, and smaller NJ cities all have larger Italian "neighborhoods" than Baltimore.

Even though Chicago has the 3rd largest Italian population by total numbers , as far as "neighborhoods" go, there's not too many left. Chicago's Little Italy is mostly restaurants/commercial, and while the Tri-Taylor area around Little Italy does have some small Italian enclaves/unofficial neighborhoods, they're not as large as what you'll find in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC