Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 PM

207 posts, read 537,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Baller View Post
This is very similar to the thread I made about the Pros and Cons of DC.

Like I said before... the worst thing about DC is the people. And YES.. the dating world isn't the best. Not because people are hard to fine... its just the types of people you find... Meh...
Meh...I concur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Gonna put it in a pro/con list. Ready?

Pro: Any type of food that you enjoy, is here and it is GOOOODD!!

Okay your thoughts??
That statement is false. My favorite dish (Almond Chicken) can be found in Detroit (Midwest) (can also be found in Seattle), but there is no place, anywhere, in this area that has it. I know it's only one thing, but I'm sure there are others.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 AM

207 posts, read 537,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That statement is false. My favorite dish (Almond Chicken) can be found in Detroit (Midwest) (can also be found in Seattle), but there is no place, anywhere, in this area that has it. I know it's only one thing, but I'm sure there are others.
Love it, this makes me laugh!! So change that to MOST foods you enjoy can be found here. Thanks for the correction!!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Good list as said before. I concur with most of it. Yes with DC being such a white collar town some forget that other not as white collar jobs are indeed unionized. Coming from Georgia where NOTHING is unionized, it is kinda of interesting. I thought unions were just something my hot Economics teacher talked about when I was in 10th grade. Then I moved here and befriended a teacher and low and behold they do indeed exist.

No I never thought of DC as having hills. I've always thought it was rather flat. You ever been to Pittsburgh? Now those are some hills!

I think the problem with the traffic in this area is that road infrasture hasn't kept up with population growth. Also public transportation doesn't address suburb to suburb commuting which is what I'd dare say half of the commuters in the DC area are doing including yours truly. I'd love to be able to get on the metro and commute from Arlington to Fairfax but that's just not possible. People always say I have a good commute because I commute from Arlington and sometimes the District (new "friend" sleep at his place half the week lately) so it must be easy. It's easier than Fairfax to the District but it ain't easy. But you know I hear Detroit traffic isn't the funnest in the world either.

But yeah I say that the freeways here are not wide enough. They were meant a for an area with a million fewer people. Metro should go out to Chantilly (28 is a nightmare at rush hour), Quantico, Bowie and Germantown. More suburb to suburb train lines. The silver line and proposed purple lines are a good start but hardly a finish.

Either way welcome and glad you are enjoying DC. I always say that DC is not a slutty city you have to give her time before she puts out. You gotta wine and dine her and she'll return the favor just give her some time.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Love it, this makes me laugh!! So change that to MOST foods you enjoy can be found here. Thanks for the correction!!
Glad to make you laugh. I tried hard to find something wrong with your post. That was it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
By doing what, banning businesses from opening or hiring people?
I don't know about that. Maybe put out ads or something revealing what the COL is really like in the desireable neighborhoods of the DC area. That should keep out half the people who would otherwise move here. Plus, it's only being truthful.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't know about that. Maybe put out ads or something revealing what the COL is really like in the desireable neighborhoods of the DC area. That should keep out half the people who would otherwise move here. Plus, it's only being truthful.
I don't think I can concur with purposely limiting growth. The powers that be just need to do a better job of keeping up with said growth. I'm sorry but I would that the DC area has done a poor job keeping up with the million plus people, like me and the OP, who have moved this area in the past 2 or 3 decades.

Last edited by terrence81; 10-04-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe we can pay for a national campaign to let people know that water is wet too.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM

16 posts, read 37,925 times
Quote:
Gonna put it in a pro/con list. Ready?

Con: ... the way this city shuts down during inclement weather is laughable.

Okay your thoughts??
That's a pro!

Pro: Burgeoning, though still small, arts scene.
Con: Architecture is dreary.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Maybe we can pay for a national campaign to let people know that water is wet too.
Or how ghettoish the low COL places in the DC area are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC