Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in DC and am working a bit in the MD suburbs and also some in the VA suburbs. Bethesda seems nice. I'm just curious, what are the overall impressions of those from the DC area of each state. Is one state regarded as more affluent, more desirable than the other? What are other thoughts on the comparison between the two states bordering DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
Northern Virginia is seen as entirely affluent (maybe a few pockets of working class here and there), where as the MD suburbs of DC are split. Montgomery County is rightfully seen as very affluent, while Prince George's County has a bad reputation for crime (even though it's mainly in areas inside the beltway... it's still a pretty rich county, and there are plenty of nice parts).

Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Yeah I will concure with HurricaneDC. VA is seen as more affluent. But you know one thing I'm learning is that you have to look at your lifestyle both professionally and non. I'm totally biased and say that Arlington is a good spot. North Arlington particularly compares with Bethesda. I can't imagine living in Maryland at this point, Virginia has grown on me. At the same time there are folks who have told me point blank "I will not come to your house because its in Virginia"

So I say look at north Arlington and Bethesda in terms of affluence.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
I've lived in Fairfax County, Prince Georges County, and Montgomery County. The place I live in Montgomery is the best of the three. That's not to say the whole county is better than the other whole counties, because I'm just referring to the specific location in each. All three locations were pretty good though.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:57 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
One thing to understand is that the Washington, D.C. area changes rather quickly over time. Montgomery County used to be the most affluent county 25 years ago. At that time, most of NoVa was a lot less developed than it is now. Later on, Fairfax County surpassed Montgomery County. Nowadays, Loudoun County is touted as having the highest household income, and Howard County near Baltimore is up there too. So it shifts considerably.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
Maryland. No contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC