Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

10 years ago DC wasn't that desirable. I do wish the DC housing prices would fall though. Thankfully my mom's house is already paid off so it wouldn't screw her over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 AM

6,747 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ View Post
Thus, I am wondering where the income levels are coming from that have kept DC real estate prices so sky-high?
Couple things in addition to obvious high wages:

1. High Share of Working Mothers - DC Metro has the highest share of working mothers in the country, the Greenwich, CT SAHM whose husband rides metro-north to Manhattan type of lifestyle is less common here, go to Great Falls, and you see a lot of two lawyer homes where they qualify for the house based on annual income, not massive bonuses or liquid assets

2. Rapidly Declining Cost Per Sq Ft As You Get Further from DC - In my neighborhood, Woodley Park, a rowhouse goes for about 500-600 dollars per sq ft. But go 35 miles out to Ashburn, and you get a 1990s/early 2000s townhouse in better condition for $150/ft, or about 70% less. Go 35 miles from NYC and you're somewhere like New Canaan paying millions, go 35 miles from San Francisco, and you're paying millions in Palo Alto.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
That is a point that the further out one goes in the DC area the cheaper the real estate. I think this is a big factor in the traffic problem here particularly in my VA burbs. There less incentive for companies to have headquarters in the city and there's less incentive for families to live closer-in as well. For active singles like myself there's plenty of incentive to stay closer-in but now that my job is further out in Fairfax so hating not being able to doing both work and play in the District but still happy to have a job in these days and times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC