Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Washington, DC area since the early 1990s and the demographics have definitely changed in the DC suburbs. The population growth rate is trending more Asian and Latino in suburban MD and Northern VA...less growth with the white and black populations.

The M-D-V region is looking more like California with the population boom of Asians and Latinos and less like a traditional Southern city where the Whites and Blacks were the predominate population and they had predominate cultural influence over the region.

Not saying it's good or bad--just an observation. However, I do think there are cultural implications for the "Californiazation" of our region. In the old DC, the white and black races lived in separate neighborhoods with separate cultures and economies; albeit the whites had more wealth and government power. There was a certain order in the universe so to say. The influx of Latin American and Asian immigrants had changed the racial dynamic some bit over the past two decades.

Low-skill immigrants began settling in working-class black neighborhoods. An overwhelming number of low-skilled immigrants came from Mexico and the Central American countries. Some immigrants became store owners to cater to the needs of Latin American immigrants living in apartment complexes and row houses. The language barrier proved to be problematic as well since the immigrants could not speak English. Spanish was spoken on the sidewalks and in the shops. Black Americans were not happy about this transformation.

The 1991 Mount Pleasant riot was a flash point during the Californiazation of DC. Back then, the DC police cops (black and white) have been known to harass Latinos and in other cases ignore pleas for assistance. When a black female DC police officer shot a Latino male, the Latin American community reacted with outrage in the streets. The DC officer corp comprised of whites and blacks cracked down hard on the street protesters but the DC city government promised law enforcement reforms and more outreach to the growing Latino community.

During this time, more Asian immigrants also settled in working and middle-class areas in the DC region. They bought up properties and became store owners as well. Once again, this trend had a bigger cultural impact on the black communities. The language and cultures were foreign to long-time black residents; eventually, there was a growing frustration with the lack of understanding between the Asian business-owner and the black customer.

As a side note...there was growing Asian immigrant entrepreneurship in predominate white neighborhoods in Northwest DC and in the suburbs. Nail and hair salons. Dry Cleaners and Tailors. Grocery shops. Businesses that were once owned and operated by local white families were now under new management. I can say from my experience, that many white customers were frustrated with Asian immigrant businesses because of language and cultural challenges...just like in the black communities. Asian and Latino store owners had plenty of racist invective hurled at them from angry white customers.

In the end though, the Calforniazation of DC caused far more psychological and economic upset to the black communities. Business shops once owned by black families gave way to Salvadoran or Korean owners. Many suburban white business men divested themselves from the black community and the buyers usually had Spanish-sounding or Korean-sounding surnames. The foreign immigrants developed economic power over the local black population. Despite the ugly history of Jim Crow and white institutional racism, it was easier dealing with a white face selling you goods because at least he speaks the same language.

A multi-cultural society is a good thing but building one can cause pain and hatred in the incumbent (or native) populations during the transformation process. In 2010, race relations with Latinos and Asians are far better now than in the 1980s and 1990s. Hopefully, there will be a happy ending for all people living and working in the same city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I've never heard of Washington, D.C. being generally referred to as a southern city. At least not in the past 40 years.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Very interesting write-up.

Interesting usage of 'Californiazation'. Usually I associate it with the massive 'white flight' fleeing out of California as fast as it possibly can. Globalization might be a word I might use when it comes to people from around the globe relocating to certain major world destinations.

One note...I don't think DC demographically has many Mexicans. They are predominately Salvadoreans.

It's also interesting that the write-up seems to be taking a negative or pessimistic view. To me, it is extremely positive. No doubt that the immigrant communities bringing small business and life back into communities, and contributing immensily completely enriching communities. They also enrich the culture for everyone involved, not to mention a much larger palete of food choices

I also think we need to loose the 'us' and 'them' labels as well. To quote Obama, we are all ONE America and I'd like to include those people who come from far, far away with the desire to participate in our country as equals in it.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's also interesting that the write-up seems to be taking a negative or pessimistic view. To me, it is extremely positive.
I (mostly) think it's a positive thing. IMO the Californians I see moving in are bringing a refreshing relaxed attitude, interesting ideas, and street signs with larger print. All good things, IMO.

OTOH, the huge wave of Californians moving to northern Virginia does make me a little nervous from a taxpayer's point of view. Californians created a great deal of the financial mess they're in right now by passing taxes left and right as well as numerous laws that struck me as superficial (and with expensive consequences). I say this as a person who lived in Los Angeles--and loved it for many years. I loved many, many things about California but not the spending habits. I own a small business. I know many small business owners who are being driven from California. I would hate to see the same thing happen here.

IMO, I don't see an increase in Asian or Hispanic people in Nova, and even if there was I don't see a connection to the people moving here from California. But I do see a huge increase in the number of former aerospace employees and research scientists. I went to the National Science Fair this weekend and struck up conversations with many people. It was striking how many scientists have recently moved here from California. They are abandoning the Golden state left and right.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also think we need to loose the 'us' and 'them' labels as well.
I so agree with this. Labelling people is one of my pet peeves. It jut leads to generalizations, and those cause a lot of problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
I'd call it more of a "Jerseyization" (just because most of the people moving here are from the northeast and not the west coast). Jersey, of course, also has a large Latino and Asian population.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Californication, you mean?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
OTOH, the huge wave of Californians moving to northern Virginia does make me a little nervous from a taxpayer's point of view. Californians created a great deal of the financial mess they're in right now by passing taxes left and right as well as numerous laws that struck me as superficial (and with expensive consequences). I say this as a person who lived in Los Angeles--and loved it for many years. I loved many, many things about California but not the spending habits. I own a small business. I know many small business owners who are being driven from California. I would hate to see the same thing happen here.
I wouldn't worry too much about the impact on government fiscal policy. Both NoVA and DC swing to the Left politically, however NoVA has to follow Virginia state law, which tends to be very conservative. This gives us the best of both worlds: a progressive liberal vision that must be implemented in a conservatively tight fiscal environment. It also places the area in centrist mode that avoids the failed concepts of the extremes (eg, gun and rent controls on the Left, 'faith based' initiatives on the Right)

Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
I definitely agree that in most of the metro area (outside of DC and PG county) latinos and asians outnumber native-born blacks. In Fairfax and Loundoun counties, Asians are the largest minorities (and blacks are the smallest minority in both counties). In Prince William County, Latinos are the largest minority (with native-born blacks coming in 2nd). In Arlington, Latinos are the largest minority with native-born blacks being the smallest. In Montgomery County, native-born blacks are outnumbered by both Latinos and Asians.

I make the distinction between blacks and native-born blacks because in most DC metro counties, foreign born blacks constitute 20% or more of the black population; the DC area has the 3rd most prominent foreign-born black population after NYC and Miami. Moreover, DC's foreign-born black population is primarily from Africa, and very well-educated.

These data are not only at odds with the demographics of southern metro areas, but they're at odds with the demographics of most of the non-Pacific United States (barring portions of urban Texas).

Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I definitely agree that in most of the metro area (outside of DC and PG county) latinos and asians outnumber native-born blacks. In Fairfax and Loundoun counties, Asians are the largest minorities (and blacks are the smallest minority in both counties). In Prince William County, Latinos are the largest minority (with native-born blacks coming in 2nd). In Arlington, Latinos are the largest minority with native-born blacks being the smallest. In Montgomery County, native-born blacks are outnumbered by both Latinos and Asians.

I make the distinction between blacks and native-born blacks because in most DC metro counties, foreign born blacks constitute 20% or more of the black population; the DC area has the 3rd most prominent foreign-born black population after NYC and Miami. Moreover, DC's foreign-born black population is primarily from Africa, and very well-educated.

These data are not only at odds with the demographics of southern metro areas, but they're at odds with the demographics of most of the non-Pacific United States (barring portions of urban Texas).
All great statistics. I'm a big fan of demographic statistics, love researching that kind of data.

I was browsing Silver Spring/Takoma Park...and saw that in some zip codes nearly 1/2 of the black population was foreign-born. (20% sounds about right overall, for sure). But interesting to see how high the percentage is in certain areas.

Very interesting for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: