Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM

26 posts, read 96,502 times

Advertisements

Supposedly Shaw has some pretty bad areas and I don't know if this is one of them - or even if it is more U-St than Shaw. I am considering a short-term rental around 8th and T NW. For comparison, how safe would the area be compared to the U-St area on the other side of Vermont Ave NW? Compared to Bloomingdale? Compared to the good parts of Columbia Heights?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catquas View Post
Supposedly Shaw has some pretty bad areas and I don't know if this is one of them - or even if it is more U-St than Shaw. I am considering a short-term rental around 8th and T NW. For comparison, how safe would the area be compared to the U-St area on the other side of Vermont Ave NW? Compared to Bloomingdale? Compared to the good parts of Columbia Heights?

Thanks!
I'm a big proponent of Shaw. It's a great neighborhood with a lot of history, there is a full on revitalization going on and everyone (long term residents and new) are really excited that it's improving.

That being said... There is a cluster of public housing projects a block south of you, Lincoln Westmoreland I&II, that attracts an alarmingly high PoS quotient. I haven't had any problems living in the area, but you will hear and see some unpleasant things living that close to LW1&2.

Across U on the other side of Vermont would be a little nicer, and Bloomingdale is another great neighborhood although at the end of the day your probably equally 'safe' in those areas as you would be in most of Shaw.

The nice parts of Columbia Heights are sort of like the nice parts of Shaw. It can change by block, depending on what's there. There is more crime up there, but the main drag on 14th has way more foot traffic than either bloomingdale or Shaw, so that's a plus if you're off of that.

If I had to rank them by safety:

1. U Street, west of Vermont
2. Columbia Heights on 14th street
3. Most of Shaw and Bloomingdale (tied)
4. Shaw close to Lincoln Westmoreland I&II
5. The rest of Columbia Heights

Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Wow thanks that's really helpful. Thanks!

Maybe this is too specific, but for Columbia Heights, how close to 14th st. (West and East) do I need to be to avoid being in "the rest of Columbia Heights"? Also, is there a northern point (or area) after which 14th st. is bad? (for example I don't know the boundary between Columbia Heights and Petworth).

Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM

175 posts, read 287,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catquas View Post
Wow thanks that's really helpful. Thanks!

Maybe this is too specific, but for Columbia Heights, how close to 14th st. (West and East) do I need to be to avoid being in "the rest of Columbia Heights"? Also, is there a northern point (or area) after which 14th st. is bad? (for example I don't know the boundary between Columbia Heights and Petworth).

Well heres Southern Columbia Heights, everything thats shaded in orange are housing projects. Generally within these areas you' might see some things. I'll do the northern potion later.
But don't be too alarmed, 14th street has a lot of constant foot traffic so its not like you can't walk past the projects without any trouble, during the day at least. Hell you'll probably by okay at night too but anything can happen. 11pm - 5am is when you use your street smarts the most in this area.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Catquas,

If you want to get to know the neighborhoods, Urban Turf has done some brief profiles: Neighborhood Profiles. Keep in mind Urban Turf is a real-estate site, so there is a little bit of 'selling' going on, but it's pretty decent one-stop-shopping for a quick overview. I'm afraid I don't know Columbia Heights well enough to recommend anything other than try to stay as close to the metro off of 14th street as possible. RA looks like he has a good grip on it though.

Interesting map, RA. It's always sad to see section 8/public housing clustered together. Everyone loses in these situations. I really think the mixed income developments, with a % of subsidized appartments is a better solution to provide low income households with affordable space downtown.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM

175 posts, read 287,286 times
I forgot to add the projects at on Clifton between 13th and 14th...

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Wow, thanks Roth!

I'll have to check out the neighborhood profiles KSt - thanks for the link

Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Damn, that's a lot more housing projects than I thought.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Borrowing a little inspiration from Roth here:

At the top of this map is 8th & T. The section 8/public housing is colored in. Outlined is either a boarded up project, or empty lot that has turned into a homeless camp (although the city aparently emptied the lot to clean it the other week).

Those three at 8th & R are the ones that might make life a little interesting for you if you live at 8th & T. I go through there twice a day, and I never have problems, but you don't have to live here long to hear some gun shots or come home to police cars and ambulances down the street.

To some, that's just the city, to others, that's a deal-breaker. To each their own.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
With both Metro stations surrounded by a sea of projects using cabs or metrobus might seem to be the best form of transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC