Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 13,989 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I recently got a job as a congressional aide in the city making around 35K a year but will be relocating from FL to take the job and have NO idea where to look for a place.

So, does anyone know areas that congressional staff types live?

Also, are there other places than craigslist to look for a roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,422 times
Congratulations on your new position and welcome to DC. Capitol Hill will be a popular place for you to consider as well as Dupont Circle. With 35k, a roommate situation will be a must. Craigslist is your best bet for finding rented rooms and roommates

Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM

33 posts, read 82,658 times
Hi,

I was in your position several months ago. I really had no idea where to look in DC, and it was a pretty confusing experience for me. Anyways, here are a couple of things I've learned.

Wmata.com is your friend. It's best to orient yourself around the Metro rail map since it will be your main form of transportation. Here is the map:

Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

The Capitol Building is located in between the Union Station stop (on the lower right of the red line) and the Capitol South stop on the Orange/Blue line. I know a couple of Hill staffers, and they all live near Union Station (0.5 mile walk to the Capitol Building), and Eastern Market (0.5 walk as well). This is your best bet in terms of proximity to work and price. Rent in DC is high, regardless of where you look, but the Union Station/Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area is decent. I know of places going as low as 650/month. However, I would guess average rent is usually about 800-1000/month. As others have said, get a roommate. Unfortunately I didn't find any other resources outside of craigslist. Have you considered contacting the people who hired you to see if they could put you in touch with somebody who could help you out? Or just see if they are willing to pass around an email describing your situation. That might help.

There are other places you can look at, but from what I can tell, pretty much all Hill staffers live within a mile or two of the Capitol Building. I'd also suggest avoiding Dupont Circle entirely. It's extremely expensive, and a lot of places request that your monthly gross is 3x what you'll be paying for in rent. You'll be ruled out immediately.

I would also suggest asking if people could give you rough boundaries of how far East, West, North and South you should go. That would help you narrow your search a lot.

Last edited by littlefermat22; 12-14-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
The city is divided into quadrants (NE, SE, NW, SW) with the capitol building basically being the center. If you are working on the Senate side you will be in the NE quadrant and if on the House side generally the SE (though technically one or two buildings are in SW).

A very large portion of Hill staffers live on Capitol Hill, and generally the younger ones will live in 'group houses' with other congressional aides. There are bulletin boards near the cafeterias of all the House and Senate buildings that have ads up for roommates, and the newspaper Roll Call (which is online) will have classifieds seeking roommates.

Living on the Hill is quite fun. It's a bit quieter than say Dupont Circle or Georgetown but the tradeoff is you can walk to work (literally). Eastern Market is the next subway stop from Capitol Hill (House side) and there are lots of restaurants and things around there.

Generally the Hill is pretty safe, but it is "the city" so you'll need to be aware of your surroundings generally at all time. The further you go away from the Capitol (and closer to RFK stadium) things get a bit dodgy, but you'll generally find it's really "block by block" with one block being renovated and clean and another still having some difficulty.

If you are young and this is your first job and you want to really savor Washington, I'd recommend staying close in for a year at least and making some friends and connections. Try the group house thing--it's a good way to meet folks and network, which is hugely important on Capitol Hill.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
At 35k you may need to look at tax credit housing--that is subsidized rent, but not public housing.

Capitol Park Plaza in SW Waterfront
Chalfonte in Adams Morgan
Kenmore in Friendship Heights

Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 AM

51 posts, read 124,037 times
a lot of staff assistants on the hill live on capitol hill (or eastern market) in group houses. However, situations like that make it harder to ever get off the hill. I do know that interns in the office I used to live at had group houses in dupont and adams morgan occassionall, though that does add to your commute.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siferlance View Post
Hey all,

I recently got a job as a congressional aide in the city making around 35K a year but will be relocating from FL to take the job and have NO idea where to look for a place.

So, does anyone know areas that congressional staff types live?

Also, are there other places than craigslist to look for a roommate?
Hi! So can you tell me your experience getting started as an aide? I am interning for a Congressman beginning tomorrow and I am doing this to get my foot in the door to become a paid staffer. Can I ask what kinds of questions they asked in your interview or any helpful tips you might have?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM

490 posts, read 649,604 times
Good luck with the job. Unfortunately, that won't take you very far. I would look into getting into a roommate or group house situation. Otherwise find some other staffers that might want to throw in on a place.

It may be a good idea to look for a part time job if you don't want to be sqeezed for cash. If you have loving parents that don't mind floating you money, or can budget well and have no intention of going out you might be ok. But I just want to put that out there.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,340 times
FY 2013 Income Limits Documentation System -- Summary for $inputname$

FY 2013 Income Limits Documentation System -- Income Limits Calculations for $inputname$

You might have to look for RoommateS.

$35k is low paying job, no matter where you are. You might need a second job, just to get more. I hope this is an intern job. Try VA big houses for multiple roommates, otherwise you might have to commute couple of hours to live South VA, or upper MD like Frederick to have enough money left over to eat.I have no idea why they thought 35k was the idea salary for DC job.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,273 times
Congratulations! Echo the recommendations from the prior posters about roommates. Before you try to look at bulletin boards, ask some of the fellow hill aides that work for FL members. They can be helpful and can steer you to FL friendly places.

Also, try to take advantage of hill receptions and breakfasts. Good way to eat for free. Your boss' scheduler gets all the invites and he/she can turn you on to the good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: