Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,125 times

Advertisements

Hi, where would you advise me to look? I want a safe area, metro proximity nice but not necessary, want a yard (no condos) that is sunny, prefer open floor plan/contemporary styling. Could spend up to $1 mill. but prefer to spend a bit less and, if the price reflects it, willing to do a moderate amount fixing up (e.g., redoing a kitchen). Work in the Georgetown area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hi, where would you advise me to look? I want a safe area, metro proximity nice but not necessary, want a yard (no condos) that is sunny, prefer open floor plan/contemporary styling. Could spend up to $1 mill. but prefer to spend a bit less and, if the price reflects it, willing to do a moderate amount fixing up (e.g., redoing a kitchen). Work in the Georgetown area. Thanks!
Check out Upper Northwest DC.

Areas without Metro accessibility are well within your price range and offer single family homes with yards. Look at the neighborhoods of Upper Chevy Chase, Barnaby Woods, American University Park, Forest Hills, Foxhall Crescent and The Palisades. They're all close/relatively close to work and very safe.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 PM

kyle, thanks, I had heard about some of these but didn't know about others. I will look into them!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,388 times
If you can spend a million on a house then you don't need metro proximity

Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Hi, where would you advise me to look? I want a safe area, metro proximity nice but not necessary, want a yard (no condos) that is sunny, prefer open floor plan/contemporary styling. Could spend up to $1 mill. but prefer to spend a bit less and, if the price reflects it, willing to do a moderate amount fixing up (e.g., redoing a kitchen). Work in the Georgetown area.

Thanks!
How big of a house (sqft/bd/ba), how large do you want that yard to be, is it important to you to be in the city, or are the burbs/a commute ok? Is a detatched house with a big yard what you're leaning towards, or is a townhome with a small fenced back yard ok?

1 mil opens up a lot of neighborhoods, but it's just not going to buy you very much in central safe neighborhoods with all of the things you want; particularly if you're looking for a contemporary/decently remodeled fee simple property with a sunny yard. That's 1.5 mil+ territory until you get to the burbs.

A decent townhome, with a small fenced in back yard, however would definitely be doable in some of the neighborhoods that have been listed so far.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi, KStreetQB, thanks. I'm familiar with the VA suburbs so am asking about DC proper. 2500 sq ft, yard doesn't have to be huge--at least 5000 sq ft. No townhouses or condos.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Hmm. That's a true diamond if you find it. That criteria is putting you in the $400/sqft range at your highest price point. I believe the average $/sqft in NW DC is ~$458/sqft. When you go below that number in a safe area, you're usually looking at a fixer upper or at least something that needs major updating; and typically you're not getting a large lot.

2,500 sqft detached home w/5000sqft lawn, contemporary styling for under $1 mil do exist in DC proper, but you're getting into neighborhoods that, quite frankly, I don't think make a lot of sense for someone commuting to gtown with $1 mil to throw around.

Your choices in upper NW with the SQFT and lot size are going to typically look like this:
4330 42ND St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7499349 (near American U)

Basically, major updating needed.

Give up a little yard and you might get a more recently updated place:
2945 TILDEN St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20008 | MLS# DC7410106 (Van Ness)

Clearly, still no gourmet kitchen.

Give up a little on most things and you can get something that I think might be an ok fit:

5531 SHERIER Pl NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7454744 (Palisades)

No metro, nothing super contemporary (kitchen looks cheap), but it appears to be in decent shape, you come in at only 2000sqft, but it's an easy commute to gtown and a very good neighborhood.

I think you'll mostly see properties like these in DC proper, but that gem does come along now and then.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks, KStreetQB,

I do a lot of research on the realty databases so I know about specific houses and tradeoffs; I am really seeking input on neighborhoods or areas that people recommend.

You might be surprised how many houses have sold in the past couple of years in DC for well under assessed value. There is not much on the market now, but that's usually true this time of year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Also, KStreetQB, you'll find that price per square foot is highly variable in this area, and that it declines with house size (because the land costs are high) and is completely different for SFHs versus other types of homes. And many other variables affect it, such as the condition and features of the house, the size of the lot, etc. So it really isn't a very useful statistic around here.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 PM

I'll be more direct. My point mentioning the $/sqft average is that you are looking for an extraordinary house, working with less than an extraordinary amount of money. You can't afford the neighborhoods that have been mentioned with your specific criteria for a home. Period.

$/sqft is an extremely variable number, but it corresponds exactly with the types of properties around it and is the most important benchmark for property value no matter what market it is. My primary residence was $197/sqft bought as a shell essentially, $305/sqft completely renovated, could sell it for $550+/sqft. Same neighborhood, same type of house and it can vary from $200-$600/sqft depending on its features. You're looking for 2,500sqft detached home, with an enormous lot by urban standards that is open and has a modern renovation. That's not an 'under market deal' at $1 mil in a safe NW neighborhood; that's a shortsale offer that every bank would veto.

You'll have to compromise significantly on one or more of your criteria or look at neighborhoods like Mt. Pleasant or the suburbs, and I don't really think living in semi-transitional neighborhoods makes sense when you're plunking down up to seven figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC