Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:44 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Paris IS beautiful. But it's also much dirtier than Washington (which is saying something).
DC is much newer and more polished looking than most of Paris.

However, Paris definitely beats DC in urbanity and elegant architecture. And of course it is much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Chriz- watch this.

How is what you are agreeing to any different than what I am saying? If you are agreeing with the above poster not being able read my post objectively, than you are only furthering my point.

According to your analogy, and if you read my post, I said that DC is beautiful but needs to hurry up and fully texturize itself as an affluent and educated powerhouse. This way, those who do like it here will understand its ways and those who don't will stay away.

Much like your restaurant analogy, if people know what the restaurant offers, they are more likely to decide whether to go or not and not complain if they have a bad experience. In the case of DC, it is changing so quickly that people come here expecting one thing but are met with another. As a result, there is all this complaining but those that live here, claim that DC has more entertainment than everywhere else- like the above poster and wants everyone to see it their way. That is the disconnect in thinking that everyone thinks the same as if everyone has the same level of interests.

But just by me saying that I hated DC with a passion threw everyone off, even though that I specifically stated that DC is beautiful but also explained the current circumstances that give DC a bad rap.

But again, see how people can't seem to have a reasonable conversation but instead it has to be extreme for or against. I don't work that way cause I see the roots but many don't put so much effort and just go by what they feel. Case in point- the poster mentions that he/she visited all those cities and that DC has the best entertainment. So how am I to take said judgment when it comes to entertainment? Isn't entertainment individual and subjective perception?

Again, it's the-”I am all, I am nothing, I will argue out of self-pity” mentality that many people in DC have. That is why it should be quarantined and everyone should all play together.
I hear ya bro.

Another problem is most people have not experienced the entire city. They visit, work, and play in a few select neighborhoods.. then make a snap judgement about the entire city based on that. Pretty ignorant.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And here is the mistake people often make- Just come because you come from NEW YORK or LA to live in DC doesn't make you stand out. Actually it makes things worse often because you stand out like a sore thumb. You have all this energy from a different texture coming into a working class town. You add no value unless you are part of the culture that exists here, which is mostly government work. Coming from LA or NY trying to change things will only make you miserable.

So stop double backing. When you claim that DC is for the elite and educated, but when someone says that DC is a government town, you go all up in arms. You seriously get all broken hearted. But just 2 min ago you just told James that he couldn't make it here cause he was only making $50k with no degree. So I look at you funny and ask you- what is wrong with you..
DC is not just a "Government town" though. There are lots of people in DC who don't work for the government and never have. Including myself and ALL of my friends and family. I've lived here for years and I don't know anyone who works for the Government. So its hard for me to see it as just a Government town.

Wait.. take that back. I know two people who work for the Government. But that's it.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I was thinking about all of the little small details that you see on other cities that makes them beautiful. I'm not talking about big buildings, architecture, people, but just those little moments that keeps you standing still for a moment, that makes a city beautiful.

So, is DC a beautiful city?
I've lived in DC for 4 years now and I love the fact I live in the nation's capital. Being within walking distance to the National Mall and monuments is great. I've been contemplating leaving DC as I've taken a job in Baltimore and I'm just over city life in general. I'm leaning towards Columbia since its a nice town and close to both Baltimore and DC. If you're thinking about moving to DC keep some things in mind. These are just my own opinions.

If you're young and single and want to stay single DC is a great city. It's not conducive to meeting people for relationships I've found as most people are focused on themselves (their job, social life outside of dating, themselves in general, etc.) If you're into casual relationships it can't be beat. I'm in my late 30's and don't like the crowds, the people, etc. in DC anymore. People here tend to keep to themselves and are stuffy. You have to remember you're dealing with a lot of government employees, contractors, attorneys, non-profit people, and consultants. Plus there are a lot of young people here who are stuck to their smart phones and are more interested in their resume than making new friends and dating. They are a certain breed in my opinion and not the kind of people I generally get along with. Plus the city is very transient. Most people who aren't originally from here tend to leave after several years whether it be to return to their original home or move onto other places for more opportunities. I was obsessed with the idea of living in DC years ago and now that I've done it I'd rather have a slower pace of life and find someone interested in a long-term relationship who is over the bar scene. Living in DC I've drank way too much, dealt with the people who tend to flake, bail, ghost, others all the time, and paid insanely high rents for a place I no longer care for. I'd rather be a visitor than a resident as my next goal.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
You have to remember you're dealing with a lot of government employees, contractors, attorneys, non-profit people, and consultants. Plus there are a lot of young people here who are stuck to their smart phones and are more interested in their resume than making new friends and dating.

They are a certain breed in my opinion and not the kind of people I generally get along with. Plus the city is very transient. Most people who aren't originally from here tend to leave after several years whether it be to return to their original home or move onto other places for more opportunities.
Let me explain this to others so they have a better understanding. As I have said before, DC is VERY UNIQUE and attracts a certain group of people here. Those that thrive, get along and have the capacity to sustain the texture amongst themselves. Many, of which are often from the NE/West Coast, find it very demanding due to the "cultural" and human aspect. This is mainly because of the centralized/no-outlet situation I have explained before. And as RLCMA sees himself, he will probably have to relocate rather than simply commute.

What makes a city is not the physical structures but rather the people that create communities within a city. The people, along with dominant culture then influence the texture of the city. What follows are rules, regulations, policies, and ordinances to maintain this culture. This is what creates IDENTITY.

I was in centreville VA on Sunday and I saw so many Korean businesses. IHOP was located in a Korean plaza with an IHOP "we are hiring" signage written in Korean. This means that culture stick together just as it has been since the dawn of mankind. People like to be with like and DC has its own culture.

But here is metaphor to further explain. Any city you go to, it's just like reading a novel. As with the novel, as soon as you are ready to finish the chapter, you pause to take a sip of your beverage. So in life, once you get acclimated to the new city and know your way around town and know your logistics, you start to reach for more personalized interests. As such, this this can include restaurants, shopping, dating, sports, hobbies. This can take up to a few years to realize that a place just isn't for you- depending on how quickly you acclimate or how much patience you have.

But again, no city is alike and you can't always use the phrase "you can say that about every other city" when it comes to DC. Because then why else would we want to move here if it was like everywhere else.... Own it, love it, respect your city as unique.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:12 PM

But let me chime in with a personal note. Many of you think I am some hardcore anti-DC cultural fascist. But little do you know that I do a lot of reflecting with regards to my surrounding. The way that I was challenging and against the DC culture in 2013 is not the same as I am constantly prodding DC boosters to better explain to newcomers rather than dismiss them with the "you don't make enough, or you aren't educated enough to live in DC".

So, my classic 2002 GS300 Sport design is in the shop getting some work done- valve cover gasket, spark plugs, struts, and catalytic converter. I'm about to add some polk audio speakers and a new head unit. I am replacing the stock. Btw, I am also a car enthusiast as well for anyone into sports sedans. I started a luxurious sedan car club when I lived in Japan in 1998.

Anyway, I stayed over in Centreville yesterday and metro'd (both bus and rail) in to work today. It's been 16 months since I had been in a metro as I now drive into work with free parking at the office. I must say that I had time to reflect and take another view at the city. It doesn't take me long as I have been doing this for years and I am a master at it.

What I observed was some really beautiful downtown structural aesthetics. I always tell my life students to take the metro from time to time. It allows you to grab the texture in ways that you wouldn't when driving. It's a different type of stimulation.

The commute was smooth and only took me 1 hour. And so I asked myself- what would I lose or gain by leaving DC to another city with a thriving but non-centralized metro city center? Would I ever find such a clean and safe metro system? Believe me, in the 10 min walk from FW to my office, I did some rather quick soul searching. So many things ran through my mind with regards to am I getting older, can I limit myself to this area, do I need more in life, am I willing to forgo my hobbies, djing, and interests to spend the rest of my life DC, and so on.

I must confess that I was having a halfamzing moment- a rather interesting one I must say. A brother felt good walking the streets on this early Monday morning commute. But then I remember that I hadn't had my coffee and that was the end of that...

But seriously, I totally get the appeal of DC. I really do. I give you guys a hard time cause this is my personality but I am also able to put myself in the place of others. That is why I am able to explain better to others rather than dismiss them.

And no, I am not drinking or high. This is the real me... I am a people person!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
I think DC squeaks in when the topic of whether or not it's a beautiful city is on the table. As said in another thread, it suffers aesthetically speaking, from sterile concrete government buildings and lack of a proper skyline. DC was on a top 10 list for world's ugliest capitals quite some time ago and I was happy to see the barrage of hate from outraged visitors and Americans alike who protested.

There are lots of beautiful parts of the DC metro area but outside of the national mall you have to go lookin for it. Hop on the subway and get off at a random station. In Paris you can venture just about anywhere and still find that quintessential drop-dead-gorgeous Parisian streetscape with the little fountain, old men playing chess in the park, outdoor cafes, etc. Get off at Minnesota Ave in DC and you'll think you landed in Harlem. I once had a layover in DC on the way to NY. It was a drizzly day and I have to tell you how absolutely drab and boring the capital looked as I touched down in Ronald Reagan. It got me into thinking of what DC really was and what it WASN'T. It's not the larger than life colossus that New York is. It doesn't hold a flame to the natural beauty of San Francisco. It doesn't have the latin sizzle of Miami, the flamboyant architecture of Chicago, or the beaches of San Diego. If I was a first time foreign tourist and saw that out my airplane window I would've probably wished I was touching down in JFK instead.

Dupont Circle, Georgetown, U-Street Corridor, and Foggy Bottom are all examples of nice areas that are sometimes missed by tourists that have limited time in the capital. The National Cathedral, for example, is an absolute beauty, capable of holding it's own against some of Europe's finest, but it's a pain in the neck to get to. Some of the most beautiful cities in the world are helped in part by a river/canal that runs through it and helps define it (River Seine, The Thames, Chicago River, etc.) The Potomac isn't really that spectacular. I've never heard of someone speak of it as they would the River Spree in Berlin. (add to this the lack of a truly exceptional bridge) The tidal basin is a saving grace in early April however.

Aside from maybe Georgetown or Pennsylvania ave. Washington doesn't really have a Champs Elysees so to speak of... you know, a wide, vibrant boulevard with an array of outdoor cafes, shopping, historical architecture etc. Everything is kind of spread out. No museum mile because they're sprinkled all over the place. When you look at the most beautiful cities in the world this is a common component.

I think a lot of DC's beauty can be attributed to things such as the cherry blossoms in the spring, European architecture, roundabouts, Capital building, public squares, outdoor cafes, grand monuments, Georgetown, and the offerings along Pennsylvania Ave. There are a few attractive parks but you have to go looking for them. The curved ceilings of DC's metro system is what narrowly pushes it over the edge and gives it some much needed style points.

Last edited by tailsock; 04-29-2016 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: .

Old 05-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really don't know what you're talking about. There are tons of people who live in the suburbs (outter and inner) around here that rarely go into the city. We also have a lot of edge cities like Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Silver Spring -- not much different than Hoboken. If anything, more exciting actually from my experience.
Tisk, Tisk, Tisk, you did it again. It's all about the my experience. And you are making me do this but I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KEEP DOING THIS gomason. It really isn't fair to DC.

Again, you need to get out of this mentality that your or my opinion or experience counts. We are dealing with the general realities of things. Leave the me or I out it. You cannot compare Hoboken that has a path station, which runs all night, and is a 13 min ride into Manhattan. The energy from that alone is massively incomparible. Energy is the driving factor here because it disregards to "I" factor. Without passive energies, there is nothing.

I had a friend that came from Orlando this past week and he was so frustrated. He said that in Orlando, there are at least 5 different hubs filled with attractions. Most people would automatically point to monuments but she is used to high visual stimulation. You can't expect a person to conform instantly- it takes time. What do you get in Arlington and Alexandria besids historic sights and great family neighborhood shopping?

But seriously, why does DC often do this? Everyone is standing around holding up a $20 billl and DC sticks out a $10 hoping that she can get in the game. Stop it. Know your role and go play in your circle and stop trying to make yourself look greater than you are. The reason why DC is like this is because it steady wants to be part rather than alone. Not only that, another poster from this very thread stated that there are more all black nightclubs in DC that there are in NY. Look, I can count more venues in Brooklyn alone than DC has. But this is the kind of outrageous and outlandish speech that is spewed in this forum. It's just reaching too look relevant but make yourself look REALLY BAD by doing so.

Talk to me about the hubs in the outer burbs that parellel DC's attraction? Where can I get the amount of energy that I get on U-Street or K-Street that I can get in Alexandria, Bethesda, or Silver Spring?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really don't know what you're talking about. There are tons of people who live in the suburbs (outter and inner) around here that rarely go into the city. We also have a lot of edge cities like Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Silver Spring -- not much different than Hoboken. If anything, more exciting actually from my experience.
You can't challenge the following. It's not an opinion. NW DC shutting down on weekends is not an opinion. Arlington shutting down in major areas on Sundays and after 3PM work days is not an opinion. The energy ceases and this becomes a factor when speaking about the "thrive" of a city. Without energy, there is no thriving. A flow charter will not look at the aesthetics with regards to how venues engage the street or not. They don't understand the psychological aspects of texturizing a neighborhood. Actually, many ordinances prevent this, as oppose to other cities, such as Miami, where they are extending limits for venues to allow dining on sidewalks.

For those that live and thrive in spaces like Arlington- it is fine. However, there are those that come from different energies and are met with surprise.

What Arlington demonstrates is that the private sector has to play a part in making livable communities. Architecture matters. Arlington feels soulless because its large office, hotel and apartment buildings are ugly, impersonal and unhelpful to fostering street life. They are stylistically generic. Most important, they do not engage the street.

For one year I worked at an office in Arlington, Virginia. There were virtually no restaurants that were not chains. Everything was crowded at peak lunch hour but completely empty by 3 p.m. and closed by the time I left work.

So it comes as no surprise that my state’s junior senator, Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), correctly identified Arlington in her new memoir as a “soulless suburb.” That’s exactly what most of my friends who have lived in D.C. would call it.

There’s no point in walking anywhere, because there is no one and nothing to see. Other businesses sit in little shacks at the back of parking lots. This is because they were designed to serve the enormous spatial needs of cars, not the psychic needs of human beings. Likewise, Arlington’s houses are often set behind lawns, driveways, or garages.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...y-is-soulless/

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM

135 posts, read 144,986 times
[quote=halfamazing;43927120]Tisk, Tisk, Tisk, you did it again. It's all about the my experience. And you are making me do this but I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KEEP DOING THIS gomason. It really isn't fair to DC.

Again, you need to get out of this mentality that your or my opinion or experience counts. We are dealing with the general realities of things. Leave the me or I out it. You cannot compare Hoboken that has a path station, which runs all night, and is a 13 min ride into Manhattan. The energy from that alone is massively incomparible. Energy is the driving factor here because it disregards to "I" factor. Without passive energies, there is nothing.

I had a friend that came from Orlando this past week and he was so frustrated. He said that in Orlando, there are at least 5 different hubs filled with attractions. Most people would automatically point to monuments but she is used to high visual stimulation. You can't expect a person to conform instantly- it takes time. What do you get in Arlington and Alexandria besids historic sights and great family neighborhood shopping?

But seriously, why does DC often do this?

Everyone is standing around holding up a $20 billl and DC sticks out a $10 hoping that she can get in the game.

Who is everyone? All I hear you talk about is NYC. And Orlando?? Really?? I've been there several times and if DC is holding a $10 bill Orlando must be holding a $5 bill.

Not only that, another poster from this very thread stated that there are more all black nightclubs in DC that there are in NY.

Can you show us where to find that posting. By all means please attach it, I'd like to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC