Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post
Cost is a big problem.
A station in Georgetown would have to be built DEEP because of the proximity to the Potomac river and the terrain is softer in that area. It would problem be about as deep as Forest Glen or Wheaton.

That blue line realignment will never happen, at least not for another decade or two.

I think DC should finish the H street/Benning road streetcar (Union station-Benning Road station) and the Anacostia route (Minnesota ave station - Bolling AFB) and call it a day. The blue line needs its own separate routing through the city and so does the yellow line, it'll help build up core capacity metro doesn't need to extend out anymore right now.

Well if anything, the Green line should be extended south to Brandywine/Waldorf
Yes!! Alleviate some congestion on Route 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM

264 posts, read 457,411 times
One other thing I would add as a *must* for the DC Metro are bike hooks or retractable racks.

Without a propper method for securing bicycles on Metrorail trains, they tend be cumbersome to both the rider and other passengers. Bike hooks would address this issue on many levels, IMO.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
First and foremost, a dedicated source of direct funding. Second, lower the benefits and salaries more than just a superficial level.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
I'm pretty sure bikes aren't allowed on Metro during much of the day...and that would just take up valuable capacity if used. The picture is from the LIRR, not even a heavy rail system.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
First and foremost, a dedicated source of direct funding. Second, lower the benefits and salaries more than just a superficial level.
How would lowering wages and benefits help the metro system?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times
I know it will probably never happen but every line needs a third track. This will allow for express trains as well as 24 hour service. Trains can be routed around track work and break downs.

I would also change the forward facing seats. They either need to be further apart or side ways. I'm only 5'10" and I feel cramped sitting in them.

I would also add stations between stations. I find the stations are too far apart in many parts of the system.

I would add doors to the rail cars. Each car should have 4 doors on each side instead of 3. The doors are too far apart and sometimes you can't get out of a crowded car fast enough to reach the closest door!

Also.. NO MORE CARPET IN THE RAIL CARS!!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I know it will probably never happen but every line needs a third track. This will allow for express trains as well as 24 hour service. Trains can be routed around track work and break downs.

I would also change the forward facing seats. They either need to be further apart or side ways. I'm only 5'10" and I feel cramped sitting in them.
I definitely agree with these two. A third track would immensely improve everything. Even if we don't do express trains (which we should), being able to bypass broken trains would fix 90% of people's problems.

Second, if you line the seats on the walls, you have more room for people in each car, which will help with rush. Granted, you'd be less likely to get a seat, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. DC metro has the second highest ridership in the country, and it needs to start acting like it.

In my dream world, I would add some stations in the places the metro doesn't go. That proposed blue line re-route that goes through Georgetown, Union Station, and H St NE would be great. It'd be nice if they get that purple line going, but that's not a really big deal for me.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
How would lowering wages and benefits help the metro system?
Why should they get overpaid when the systems overall quality keeps diminishing?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
allow dogs.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Can they just reinstate automatic mode? Pretty sure that WMATA has admitted that it could be switched back…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC