Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times

Advertisements

Nothing new here. Its just the way networking works. People use them for both purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM

71 posts, read 300,526 times
My question is how the heck do you decline advances for dates/romance without burning bridges?

I feel like it's so touch-and-go. From the male perspective, what's the way you'd most uh--appreciate a decline?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delasoul View Post
My question is how the heck do you decline advances for dates/romance without burning bridges?

I feel like it's so touch-and-go. From the male perspective, what's the way you'd most uh--appreciate a decline?
I think you just got to be straight forward with your approach. One of the biggest problems I've noticed with men and women, is the signals get crossed. If you don't want to cross that bridge then don't go to the road that leads to that bridge. In other words, if you believe that someone is trying to be fresh then you just make sure that the focus of your interactions never sway off from business because then he's going to think you're flirting. And if you get in that situation and you really don't want anything to do with him, you are in a world of trouble because now that man is thinking you want him. Some men won't take no for an answer once you open that door and they may use the networking as power over you.

As far as a nice decline, if a man flirts and maybe says something out the way, immediately revert the conversation back to business. At least you then you would be letting him know what you're about without being flat out rude.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM

382 posts, read 1,054,215 times
Sometimes you can't help falling in love..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:

I totally agree with Meatkins. Stay sexy and smile but keep the conversation on business.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM

32,112 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Everybody knows "networking" is generally a code word for "hooking up."

What We Should Really Be Talking About During Congressional Black Caucus Weekend

Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM

32,112 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Btw, has anyone ever gone to any of the Hip Hop brunches during CBC weekend?

"It's your boy, itz your boy, Big Tigga, what up DMV?!?! Its goin down sumtin crazy at Tabaq it's the CBC's annual Hip Hop networking brunch!!! This one is only for the Grown and Sexy...we about to turn it up on y'all DMV...fellas, wear your finest suits and bring your business cards...ladies, wear your stilletos and bring your clutches cuz WE...GONNA...HAVE...SOME...BIG...TIME...NETWORKIN' ...GOIN' ON UP IN HERE!!! Fellas are free before noon, ladies drink for free. It's time for change, y'all!"

Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
I love CBC weekend.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:

I think it's just to remain friendly and cordial, without being greatly offended or causing a scene.

Southerners seem to be very good at this, as are latinas.

You have to remember that it is obvious you are trying to get something from them....so they are likewise seeing what they can get from you as well. Maybe at the end of the day, they'll just accept you are that pretty young thing that works for 'wherever', but maybe that's all you need anyways.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Since y'all are all about networking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC