Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM

246 posts, read 589,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well ummm...that's my point. You just totally agreed with me.
I know I agreed with you. But, my point was actually the next sentence - everyone has to make compromises. There aren't any single family homes with a nice backyard in a crime-free good school district with no commute and within walking distance to tons of museums, restaurants and recreational facilities, at least not in this area. So, people are making choices, and at least some people are choosing the condo/townhouse route instead of the single family home route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
I know I agreed with you. But, my point was actually the next sentence - everyone has to make compromises. There aren't any single family homes with a nice backyard in a crime-free good school district with no commute and within walking distance to tons of museums, restaurants and recreational facilities, at least not in this area. So, people are making choices, and at least some people are choosing the condo/townhouse route instead of the single family home route.
Understood. Dense areas like Logan Circle and Penn Quarter were the areas that saw the biggest increase in population over the last decade. I think I've mentioned before that if all of the District was as dense as Logan Circle the population in the city would be like 2 million.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM

246 posts, read 589,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It will take a long time before someone buys a condo at the old Convention Center site because they want to be in the local DCPS schools. In fact, it's zoned for Thomson, where a fourth-grader recently brought crack cocaine to school and shared it with about a dozen classmates.
I completely agree with you. I am well-aware of the problems at Thomson, which is one reason why you never see me saying that I will definitely send my child to my neighborhood public school. I hope that will change in the future. There is some potential: The building has been renovated and the neighborhood wants it to change, but it has a long way to go and DCPS stuck it with a bad principal this year. Progress made was ratcheted back. In the meantime, there are other out-of-boundary and charter school options.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
And condos are certainly going up in NoVa as well.

In NoVa, at least, the school system attempts to project the number of students who will live in the new condos. Typically, they greatly over-estimate the number of families who'll buy the new condos, although they arguably have an incentive to do so since they'll seek a financial contribution from the developer that's tied to the number of projected students.

I can think of only one recent instance - in the City of Falls Church - where new condos went up and the school system was surprised because they had actually under-estimated the number of families that would purchase units.

However, the City of Falls Church has one of the top school systems in the entire DC area, so some people were prepared to spend a lot of money for the public schools. It will take a long time before someone buys a condo at the old Convention Center site because they want to be in the local DCPS schools. In fact, it's zoned for Thomson, where a fourth-grader recently brought crack cocaine to school and shared it with about a dozen classmates.
You keep picking isolated incidents to try and paint a scary picture of life in the city (which I suspect is your core motivation throughout) rather than accept broader trends. Have you spent time in Thomson? Do you know any kids attending or staff? That school's doing great. There's not an epidemic of 4th grade drug abuse any more than a wealthy suburban school is a dangerous place if one kid does something stupid there.

Last edited by Bluefly; 05-13-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You keep picking isolated incidents to try and paint a scary picture of life in the city rather than accept overall trends.
Trends that you have yet to prove. The facts are:

(1) The District of Columbia is approximately 50% black and 40% white. Yet there are 3.5 times as many black households with children as white households.

(2) Public school enrollment declined in every grade level with the exception of pre-school, which posted a marginal gain.

How do you look at these facts and then say "there's a trend of middle class families moving into or staying in the city?"

Can you find one piece of evidence that points to that conclusion?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Well I will say that suburban schools have just as much drug use if not more. I went to a suburban high school in a wealthy neighborhood that bussed in kids from the projects (I'm the last generation of crosstown busing) back in Georgia and the drug use crossed all racial and socio-economic lines. I doubt that things have changed that much since the 90s.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:16 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You keep picking isolated incidents to try and paint a scary picture of life in the city (which I suspect is your core motivation throughout) rather than accept broader trends. Have you spent time in Thomson? Do you know any kids attending or staff? That school's doing great. There's not an epidemic of 4th grade drug abuse any more than a wealthy suburban school is a dangerous place if one kid does something stupid there.
Do you currently have kids in DCPS? You seem inclined to turn a blind eye to any bad things that happen in the District because they don't accord with your "sunshine and puppies" view of the city. I don't have an anti-DC agenda (as noted, I spend most of my working hours and many of my leisure hours here), but relatively few parents would blow (no pun intended) past an incident where a fourth-grader brought crack cocaine to a classroom and ended up sharing it with a bunch of classmates, sending them to the hospital.

Whether there's an epidemic of drug abuse at Thomson is not relevant; the point is that something like that was widely reported and obviously sets back efforts by DCPS to convince the types of folks you keep arguing are going to remain in DC that schools in the District are safe and nurturing. Most parents don't want to send their kids to schools with metal detectors; for that to be required and then still have incidents like what recently happened at an inner-city school like Thomson is adding insult to injury. The upshot is that some things that you like to portray as near-certainties for the future are far less certain of being realized.

As Terrence81 just noted, there is also drug use at suburban schools. But the reality is that parents are going to pay more attention to crack cocaine at a public elementary school in the city, with all that connotes, than to drug use that typically takes place on the weekends, and behind closed doors, among suburban students.

Last edited by JD984; 05-13-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Well I will say that suburban schools have just as much drug use if not more.
x100

As the husband of a suburban schoolteacher, I can absolutely vouch for this.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
x100

As the husband of a suburban schoolteacher, I can absolutely vouch for this.
But it's not that type of drug use that usually winds them up in prison or with gunshot wounds in a backalley.

Quote:
Well I will say that suburban schools have just as much drug use if not more.
A kid walking into school with a bag of cocaine is a problem that goes beyond drug use. His parents (or brothers or uncles) are involved in the drug trade. This means that more people are at risk than just the users of the drugs.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Trends that you have yet to prove. The facts are:

(1) The District of Columbia is approximately 50% black and 40% white. Yet there are 3.5 times as many black households with children as white households.

(2) Public school enrollment declined in every grade level with the exception of pre-school, which posted a marginal gain.

How do you look at these facts and then say "there's a trend of middle class families moving into or staying in the city?"

Can you find one piece of evidence that points to that conclusion?
You consistently miss the point, not recognizing the early indicators and rather trying to use overall demographics to claim that the status quo hasn't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC