Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have children of school age?
Yes 4 33.33%
no 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
To respond to a few recent points:

Additionally, not all families who are looking for a bigger place will move west of the park. I know several families who are in the process of moving from condos to townhouses in Mount Pleasant.
And Crestwood, and 16th Street Heights, and Petworth, and Brightwood, and Takoma. West of the park is so over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I wouldn't go as far as to say "West of the park is over". I'd say that other areas east of the park are improving. Which is a good thing. I really like Cleveland Park very pleasant looking area.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They do have a different mindset. People who leave the District to move to the suburbs often have children. Their mindset is safety and schools. People who leave the suburbs to move to the District usually do not have children. Their mindset is fun, beer, and more fun.
That probably describes Columbia Heights, but not much else.

Quote:
Lol. You must be here simply to amuse us all because you've clearly thrown logic and reason to the wind.
Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
If "their [black families] kids would have left the DC system," then that would have an effect on Pre-K enrollment too, no? It's not like black families only have children aged for Grades 1-12. Why would it be the case that enrollment sank at every grade level with the exception of Pre-K? If middle class white families were moving to and staying in the city, then why don't we see a concomitant increase in enrollment levels in Kindergarten (Age 5)? First Grade? Second Grade? I guess your thinking is that a huge deluge of white families just arrived here and that their kids will be attending DCPS in time. My thinking is that they hit the bricks when their kids reach school age.
I think we'll have to wait for the full census to understand those questions. I do think the enrollment of white kids in the DC system will increase dramatically over the next decade.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say "West of the park is over". I'd say that other areas east of the park are improving. Which is a good thing. I really like Cleveland Park very pleasant looking area.
I like Cleveland Park too, but the play is over in Cleveland Park and the other west of the park neighborhoods. They are static and almost a time capsule of the city in the 80s & 90s.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I like Cleveland Park too, but the play is over in Cleveland Park and the other west of the park neighborhoods. They are static and almost a time capsule of the city in the 80s & 90s.
You make this sound like a bad thing though. I think the person who is attracted to living in say Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill, U street is going to be different from the person attracted to Cleveland Park, Van Ness, or Tenleytown. Differences are good.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Well I will say that not everyone who lives in the city is interested in partying. I'd say that about half of the folks I've met in Columbia Heights were not partiers but just liked the urban lifestyle.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
You make this sound like a bad thing though. I think the person who is attracted to living in say Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill, U street is going to be different from the person attracted to Cleveland Park, Van Ness, or Tenleytown. Differences are good.
We agree completely. And I didn't mean to besmirch the neighbors west of the park. My point is that one shouldn't use that group as a model for how the east of the park families will behave when they have children ready for school.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
We agree completely. And I didn't mean to besmirch the neighbors west of the park. My point is that one shouldn't use that group as a model for how the east of the park families will behave when they have children ready for school.
I don't know people are people. Everyone goes through changes when they have kids. The ones that don't are the exception. I remember I was in Harris Teeter a couple dressed in goth wear along with tons of tattoos and piercings were in the frozen food aisle. Not the types you'd expect to see pushing a baby stroller. Of course the baby stroller was all black. At the end of the day despite their outrageous look they were behaving like any parent going coochie coochie coo with baby.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
That probably describes Columbia Heights, but not much else.

Thank you for sharing.

I think we'll have to wait for the full census to understand those questions. I do think the enrollment of white kids in the DC system will increase dramatically over the next decade.
No we won't. Just use your own logic. If the decline in student enrollment Grades K through 12 is attributable to black families leaving the city (your theory), then why don't we see the same decline in Pre-K?

And if the increase in Pre-K enrollment is a sign that middle-class families are staying in the city, then why don't we see an increase in the number of students enrolled in Kindergarten?

Are these middle class children dying once they turn 5?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM

246 posts, read 589,022 times
Quote:
No we won't. Just use your own logic. If the decline in student enrollment Grades K through 12 is attributable to black families leaving the city (your theory), then why don't we see the same decline in Pre-K?

And if the increase in Pre-K enrollment is a sign that middle-class families are staying in the city, then why don't we see an increase in the number of students enrolled in Kindergarten?

Are these middle class children dying once they turn 5?
I don't think we have to wait until the next census, but it will be interesting to look at the numbers for kindergarten next year. Again, the revitalization is young and did not start with families moving in but with people having children while here, so there is delay. Also, you have to look at the data for both public schools and charter schools as over a third of students getting a free education in DC are enrolled in charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC