Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well I think it depends on your preferences. I can definitely see the advantage of just driving with 4 children. In terms of cost efficiency it'll probably be cheaper to take the metro when you factor in the cost of parking in a garage. I think the garage in Ballston is only a $1 or $2.

Perhaps you should try both and see what your preferences are. I personally don't have a problem with driving in the city. Then again I'm rarely in the city during the day except on weekends.
Yes, that is a great idea. I'm a suburban mom so it is kinda intimidating thinking of driving around downtown DC but I'm hoping that if I have a GPS that it'll help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Yes, that is a great idea. I'm a suburban mom so it is kinda intimidating thinking of driving around downtown DC but I'm hoping that if I have a GPS that it'll help.
Aw shucks nothing to be scared of. If you can survive the traffic in Virginia you can survive anything right?

Also if you avoid rush hour you shouldn't have to worry as much about crowds with the kids.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

195 posts, read 473,500 times
Quote:
Thank you so much TCR. My kids really like the train. We lived in London a couple of years ago and they never tired of riding it. But I am guessing, and please help me out here, that most people aren't used to children on the metro? My four children, believe it or not, are well behaved, we get compliments ALL the time about their behavior. But once in London one woman got irate because they were playing with their little cars and making vroom-vroom noises. It was a very upsetting experience.
Thanks for the advice on the other attractions. How much is the parking, by the way, on those garages you've recommended and was it fairly easy to find a spot? Thank you!
For Union Station it can go up to $17 if you're there over five hours -- Union Station Parking Garage, LLC at Union Station in Washington, DC :: (202) 898-1950 - DC -- the one at 6th & C SW ... I want to say it was $25 for the day, but don't quote me on that ...

There always going to be some people who get upset by kids, but overall I haven't had a problem. (I have a 6 and 5 year old; when they were younger we'd do afternoon trips in regularly without trouble -- sometimes we'd just get on the train, ride it out to the end of the line then back home for fun ...)

The biggest place you might get a complaint is on the escalators, especially during rush hour, they get very crowded. The local rule is stand on the left and walk on the right. So long as you and your children don't block the walkers heading up the right-hand side of the escalator, you should be fine.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Just so you know, be prepared for long walking. Metro is not close to everything. Even so, it will be better than driving.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Just so you know, be prepared for long walking. Metro is not close to everything. Even so, it will be better than driving.
Huh??? She can get off at the Smithsonian metro stop for the Mall and Woodley Park for the zoo.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Well there isn't one metro stop that is going to get you to every single museum and sight, nor one parking garage in proximity to every place either. So regardless of which is more convenient, I think you are looking at a combination of both.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,195 times
If you are visiting the Mall, you could park at the Ronald Reagan Building. It is almost a straight shot up 14th Street from 395. It isn't a far walk to the White House, Washington Monument, and the American and Natural History Museums. If at all possible, I highly recommend you avoid taking metro trains during rush hour. The trains can get extremely crowded.

The National Zoo also has parking but it fills up fast on the weekends. It is well worth the trip.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
If you have a GPS, I don't think driving would be a huge issue, just make sure you enter the right quadrant in along with the address. Parking, however, could be a problem. I don't really have much experience parking during a weekday, so I can't really speak to how quickly they fill up. I believe Colonial Parking is the main company managing the garages, you could try looking them up to see what's available (or if you can, call the garage and ask if they fill up).

If you take the Metro, I'd go in after rush hour. The orange line gets packed, which can be difficult with kids. Also, don't run and either a) dart in the train just before the doors close as your kids rush to follow you, or b) shove your kids in as the doors are closing and then try to jam the door open so you can get in. The doors don't automatically open if they close on someone, and if you bang/jam/hold the doors open, they'll offload the train and you'll have hundreds of people mad at you. If the conductor is ringing the bells to signify the doors are closing, step away and wait for the next one.

As far as kids on the Metro, if they're well-behaved I've never had an issue with them. Just make sure they sit or hold on while the train's moving and don't start whacking people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
The local rule is stand on the left and walk on the right. So long as you and your children don't block the walkers heading up the right-hand side of the escalator, you should be fine.
You've got that backwards. It's walk on the left, stand on the right. It's a simple thing, but gets people very upset (especially during rush hour)

Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,682 times
Quote:
We will be staying in Reston for the summer since my husband is working in Chantilly. So I am left in the hotel room with our four children ages 10,9,6 and 6.
Don't take your kids to the metro during rush hours: 6 am to 11 am and 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. If you do, you might take the chance to say good bye to them forever.

Find a parking place downtown, pay for the parking and spend the day walking around. Oh, make sure you don't drive during rush hours. Go there after 10 am and get back after 7 pm.

If you take the metro, make sure you and your kids get in and out of the metro very quickly. If you're slow or one of your kids is slow, you will be seperated. So, it's a good idea to have some talk/rules with them. If say you and your three kids got in the metro and one left behind, you make sure he stays there untill you come back to get him at the metro where you left him. If one of your kid didn't get off the metro while the rest of you did, you make sure he knows that he needs to get off immediately at the next stop and wait there for you.

Also, you need to tell your kids not to stare at ghetto people at the metro. Tell your kids to just do this......

Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM

195 posts, read 473,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
You've got that backwards. It's walk on the left, stand on the right. It's a simple thing, but gets people very upset (especially during rush hour)
Doh! Once again my left-right confusion screws me over . Of course you're correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC