Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,323 times

Advertisements

We will be staying in Reston for the summer since my husband is working in Chantilly. So I am left in the hotel room with our four children ages 10,9,6 and 6. Of course I really want to take them to all the attractions in DC. But I wonder which would be easier and more cost effective-driving there or taking the metro. I assume I will be able to use the HOV lanes so I guess that might cut the time to drive but I've never been to DC so I'm kinda scared about the driving, even though I would have the GPS with me. I would really appreciate any help ya'll can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
How well do you know the DC area and its streets? Typically, my advice is to not drive into the city at all--between the high volume of traffic and the confusing street layout, it's typically a recipe for a not very fun time if you don't know what you're doing. Metro goes to pretty much all of the sites you may want to see in DC, and access to the Orange Line is pretty easy from Reston.

Plus, most kids tend to enjoy taking the train.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM

195 posts, read 473,586 times
The biggest limiting factor for you driving down to DC for the attractions -- I'm assuming you mean the monuments, Smithsonian, White House, Congress, etc. -- is going to be parking. On-street parking is limited and goes quickly, and you can only stay in a spot for two or three hours along the Mall. There are some parking garages nearby, but expensive (expect $15 to $20 for the day). Metro would probably be easier, although it may take a little longer to get downtown. Vienna is closest station to Chantilly, but I understand the parking garages can fill up early (before 8:30 a.m. on weekdays), so you might have to head further in to catch a train, maybe as far in as Ballston. (You will be able to take the HOV lanes with five of you in the car, so no problems there.) Also remember, if you are going to be going during rush hours, the fares are higher and the trains can be very crowded.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Thank you. No, I've never been to DC so I don't know the streets at all. I'm just wondering if taking the metro would be less expensive considering that I saw on their site that it costs like $4 something one way and it would be five of us. Also, I wonder how me by myself would be able to maneuver the crowds in the metro while having my four children with me.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
The biggest limiting factor for you driving down to DC for the attractions -- I'm assuming you mean the monuments, Smithsonian, White House, Congress, etc. -- is going to be parking. On-street parking is limited and goes quickly, and you can only stay in a spot for two or three hours along the Mall. There are some parking garages nearby, but expensive (expect $15 to $20 for the day). Metro would probably be easier, although it may take a little longer to get downtown. Vienna is closest station to Chantilly, but I understand the parking garages can fill up early (before 8:30 a.m. on weekdays), so you might have to head further in to catch a train, maybe as far in as Ballston. (You will be able to take the HOV lanes with five of you in the car, so no problems there.) Also remember, if you are going to be going during rush hours, the fares are higher and the trains can be very crowded.
I thought about parking garages. That is one area I wouldn't mind researching more IF by using my GPS I can get to them. I don't mind walking from the garage to the monuments but I'm just trying to get an idea if considering that I've never been there, I can get there driving. I even think I'll give myself a day of just getting lost or getting used to the area downtown so that I avoid the metro. On the other hand, the metro is much more convenient; it's just that with four young children and all by myself I'm kinda worried.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Thank you. No, I've never been to DC so I don't know the streets at all. I'm just wondering if taking the metro would be less expensive considering that I saw on their site that it costs like $4 something one way and it would be five of us. Also, I wonder how me by myself would be able to maneuver the crowds in the metro while having my four children with me.
- Metro's children policy is up to two children, 4 years and younger, ride free with each adult paying full fare. Children 5 and older pay adult fares. They also offer pass options for tourists:
Metro - Fares - Online Fare Purchases

- Once the rush hour dies down, Metro is usually fairly empty. The morning rush ends at around 9:30 and the afternoon begins around 3:30.
To avoid long waits for trains, us Metro's smarttrip planner:
Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

- Avoid street parking if at all possible. DC is notorious for ticketing and towing people for whatever reason. Signage is often incomplete, hidden, confusing, or contradictory. If you drive, park in a garage; it's worth the cost.

Since you're staying in Reston, you may want to checkout Fairfax County Parks and Recreation. They have one of the best P&R programs in the nation. I think Clemjontri Park is near Reston:
Fairfax County Park Authority - At a Glance RECenters*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM

195 posts, read 473,586 times
Quote:
It's just that with four young children and all by myself I'm kinda worried.
The 10 and 9 year old should be able to help keep the 6 year olds in line. If you wait to head in until after rush hour, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, the train ride itself should be exciting/interesting for them (at least the first few times). Visit Metro - Home page to familiarize yourself with the system; there's a trip-planning tool that can help you figure how long it will get from station to station.

If you want to look for parking garages, Union Station should be easy for the GPS to find and will get you within a not-too-long walk down to Congress and the eastern end of The Mall. There are also some parking garages near L'Enfant Plaza, south of the Mall. I've parked in a garage near 6th & C SW (near the Holiday Inn) a few times ... it's close to Air & Space and the other Smithsonian museums.

Since you're out by Chantilly, also be sure to give the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center a visit -- National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center -- it's right by IAD and would be a great place to visit with the kids.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
- Metro's children policy is up to two children, 4 years and younger, ride free with each adult paying full fare. Children 5 and older pay adult fares. They also offer pass options for tourists:
Metro - Fares - Online Fare Purchases

- Once the rush hour dies down, Metro is usually fairly empty. The morning rush ends at around 9:30 and the afternoon begins around 3:30.
To avoid long waits for trains, us Metro's smarttrip planner:
Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

- Avoid street parking if at all possible. DC is notorious for ticketing and towing people for whatever reason. Signage is often incomplete, hidden, confusing, or contradictory. If you drive, park in a garage; it's worth the cost.

Since you're staying in Reston, you may want to checkout Fairfax County Parks and Recreation. They have one of the best P&R programs in the nation. I think Clemjontri Park is near Reston:
Fairfax County Park Authority - At a Glance RECenters*- Fairfax County, Virginia
Thank you Smoke. If I wait until the rush hour ends and say I park at the Vienna/Fairfax metro stop, when would be a good time to get back? I ask this question because I feel uneasy about coming back when it is already dark and I am by myself with my four children.
My youngest children are 6 years old so I do have to pay full fare. I understand that during the morning and evening rush hour the fare is quite high. So I need to see which one is more cost effective, either driving and parking at a garage or taking the metro. But that brings another question. If I do drive, are there tolls to pay. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Well I think it depends on your preferences. I can definitely see the advantage of just driving with 4 children. In terms of cost efficiency it'll probably be cheaper to take the metro when you factor in the cost of parking in a garage. I think the garage in Ballston is only a $1 or $2.

Perhaps you should try both and see what your preferences are. I personally don't have a problem with driving in the city. Then again I'm rarely in the city during the day except on weekends.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
The 10 and 9 year old should be able to help keep the 6 year olds in line. If you wait to head in until after rush hour, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, the train ride itself should be exciting/interesting for them (at least the first few times). Visit Metro - Home page to familiarize yourself with the system; there's a trip-planning tool that can help you figure how long it will get from station to station.

If you want to look for parking garages, Union Station should be easy for the GPS to find and will get you within a not-too-long walk down to Congress and the eastern end of The Mall. There are also some parking garages near L'Enfant Plaza, south of the Mall. I've parked in a garage near 6th & C SW (near the Holiday Inn) a few times ... it's close to Air & Space and the other Smithsonian museums.

Since you're out by Chantilly, also be sure to give the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center a visit -- National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center -- it's right by IAD and would be a great place to visit with the kids.
Thank you so much TCR. My kids really like the train. We lived in London a couple of years ago and they never tired of riding it. But I am guessing, and please help me out here, that most people aren't used to children on the metro? My four children, believe it or not, are well behaved, we get compliments ALL the time about their behavior. But once in London one woman got irate because they were playing with their little cars and making vroom-vroom noises. It was a very upsetting experience.
Thanks for the advice on the other attractions. How much is the parking, by the way, on those garages you've recommended and was it fairly easy to find a spot? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC