Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
But it's the best PG County has to offer so I think its pretty good
Sad comment about PG county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Seriously, lol. I think PG has some other alright places. The revitalized part of Hyattsville along Route 1 looks like it'll be good in some time. Riverdale Park, historic Hyattsville and University Park have some very nice housing stock. Bowie Town Center seems alright. Largo TC not so much...

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

336 posts, read 768,764 times
PG has a lot of peaceful and okay spots.
I've always wondered why PG county outside of the beltway is kinda country/rural...

Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 AM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Went once. Trashy crowd, overpriced drinks and food. Won't go back unless there's a specific event I have to go to.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 92,148 times
I loathe the National Harbor. About as aesthetically and culturally interesting as Disneyland. And with Disney-level prices to match.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 AM

290 posts, read 634,510 times
I disagree with these comments about National Harbor. Yes, it's a bit bare and will take time to mature as a development (again, this is in PG County, the most disinvested part of the DC area) but it has promise to grow into. The location is right next to DC and Alexandria with gorgeous views of the Potomac River, a nice pier that has activities there, a water taxi, a truly great destination resort hotel to visit in the Gaylord (especially around Christmas), and a growing number of stores and restaurants. Is it Tysons 2 or even Reston Town Center? Obviously not. I think for the first few years since its opening the managers have focused on making this above all a SAFE environment, which given its surroundings is paramount. With the economic downturn there has also been some stalled momentum and the addition of the outlet centers is probably a recognition that PG needs to walk before it runs (haven't heard as much squawking lately from local officials about PG's lack of "high-end" retail). Still, if it can be taken on its own terms and appreciated on its own merits (a relatively nice development in an area that sorely needs it) then I think it's a success. It's certainly pretty crowded most times I've been there.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
DW and I went to NH on the way home to Annandale from an event in Upper Marlboro. We like to walk, and figured we would walk there for a change.

On the one hand the layout is very nice, near perfect urbanist design - great views of the Potomac and Virginia, from the streets and from the amazing hotel - the mix of shops was interesting and had lots of independents (unless those are just chains I dont recognize) - pretty vibrant and diverse crowd.

It does seem almost "too perfect" - like it was designed by architects, urban planners and market research people together - still we have far worse around the region.

It is isolated - which detracts from its potential to contribute to urbanist development in the area, and which aggravates the disneyland sensation - and also aggravates perhaps the most annoying thing, the parking. We parked at a meter and "only" paid $3, but thats alot for a walk. There isnt really the option as in most urban areas of going further and trading walking time for parking cost.

We are glad we went, but I can't see going back soon, at least by car. Walking/biking from old town, or even taking a boat sound like interesting possibilities.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
I love National Harbor. I have a blast at Cadillac Ranch and Publix House.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
National Harbor is good for PG County, but I don't see any need to venture there. I wish it had been built at Poplar Point, but that's a different matter altogether.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
National Harbor is good for PG County, but I don't see any need to venture there. I wish it had been built at Poplar Point, but that's a different matter altogether.
Building it at Poplar Point (or nearby Buzzard Point) would have been a great idea. Imagine all the business moving to and from the baseball stadium. Right now there's very little for these crowds to do locally, other than head back to the Metro after the game is over. It would also provide continuity with Waterfront west of the river with redevelopment of Historic Anacostia on the east. From there, development could continue to connect with the new DHS headquarters.

This would effectively rejuvenate the economy of a huge swath of Ward 8 without moving any of the "Big Blocks": Ft McNair, Bolling, Navy Yard, or I-295.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC