Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Do you think gay people are the only people that get called names at these stores? How would feel if the NAACP asked Safeway to put an add in Black Enterprise magazine everytime, an employee called someone the n-word? I'm sure most people would cry about NAACP, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson taking it too far. The girl was fired and so that should be the end of the story. Should she had been fired soon? It depends on what the protocol is, but to see that these individuals are demanding an ad to be taken out of a magazine just because they were called a name is so stupid. Is that where we are going in this country? We're going to get people taking out ads everytime someone calls someone else a slur? People are too freaking sensitive. I've been called names my whole life, as have many people in this country, imagine if we start demanding ads in magazines every time we get called outside our name.
I never said that gay people were the only ones that were called ugly names. No one is stupid enough to say the n-word at a grocery store in the District. However, if someone was stupid enough to do that in 2011 and the NAACP took those actions I'd be fine with it. Why would that bother me? It would be a matter between Safeway and Black Enterprise magazine at that point. Just like this is a matter between Safeway and Metro Weekly. The people who were offended were angry and they took action. Good for them.

Also do you know what Metro Weekly is? Its a gay entertainment publication. They have articles mostly about gay nightlife in DC. I would imagine Metro Weekly would be relunctant to pull advertising since that's a lot of money from Safeway that they'd be losing. If anything their sales team is probably on the phone with Safeway to get them to increase their advertising in order to repair their image. At the very same time because Metro Weekly is a gay publication they have to think about their bottom line and can't risk losing readers because of this incident.

Now do I think Safeway is this anti-gay company? No of course not. The store on 17th street NW was making too much money during the pride parade last Saturday. The drink aisle was practically ramsacked and there was a line a mile long after the parade.

As I previously mentioned two wrongs don't make a right. Racial slurs aren't right and shouldn't be tolerated neither should slurs regarding sexual orientation. Again no one is trying to get "special treatment".

Last edited by terrence81; 06-17-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I'm not entirely sure how black on black versus black on white homicide relates to the situation at the Safeway in SW.

As a black owner of a small business, would you fire a white employee who called a black customer the n word? How about if the employee were also black? How about a black employee who called a gay customer the f word?
if it were detrimental to my company I WOULD FIRE ANYONE.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I never said that gay people were the only ones that were called ugly names. No one is stupid enough to say the n-word at a grocery store in the District. However, if someone was stupid enough to do that in 2011 and the NAACP took those actions I'd be fine with it. Why would that bother me? It would be a matter between Safeway and Black Enterprise magazine at that point. Just like this is a matter between Safeway and Metro Weekly. The people who were offended were angry and they took action. Good for them.

Also do you know what Metro Weekly is? Its a gay entertainment publication. They have articles mostly about gay nightlife in DC. I would imagine Metro Weekly would be relunctant to pull advertising since that's a lot of money from Safeway that they'd be losing. If anything their sales team is probably on the phone with Safeway to get them to increase their advertising in order to repair their image.

Now do I think Safeway is this anti-gay company? No of course not. The store on 17th street NW was making too much money during the pride parade last Saturday. The drink aisle was practically ramsacked and there was a line a mile long after the parade.

As I previously mentioned two wrongs don't make a right. Racial slurs aren't right and shouldn't be tolerated neither should slurs regarding sexual orientation. Again no one is trying to get "special treatment".
I agree with most of what you said. I do, however, see the ad situation being a little different than what you see it. That is really my biggest issue with this couple. I just think firing the employee was enough. This was a rogue employee that made a poor judgment. The way it is being played out is as if Safeway has done something wrong. They fired the employee, so what else do you want??????? That should be it. Asking for anything more than that, is just an attempt to get more attention.

Bottom line, what was the problem? Was it resolved? Okay if it was then why do you need to take it any further? That's where gay people get a lot of negative publicity. Taking things to the extreme in an effort to gain attention for a cause is always going to have negative consequences.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This mindset is really bothersome. People wanting to be raised up to equal opportunity are not seeking special privileges. They're just looking to have a fair playing field without society stacked against them. People used this same line when blacks fought for equal opportunity.

Good points about needing to investigate before firing, but if an employee called me some slur (which has never happened) I'd expect the same. People calling you names on the street is totally different from a representative of a business. The n-word has that double context of both camaraderie and slander, depending on who says it, but I've never heard someone working behind a counter use it in either context.

I'll let others deal with the OP on the "hoodrat" slander. I've been around that block with him already.
Getting the woman fired was enough. Wasn't that the original request? Was it fulfilled? So why do they need to do anything further?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said. I do, however, see the ad situation being a little different than what you see it. That is really my biggest issue with this couple. I just think firing the employee was enough. This was a rogue employee that made a poor judgment. The way it is being played out is as if Safeway has done something wrong. They fired the employee, so what else do you want??????? That should be it. Asking for anything more than that, is just an attempt to get more attention.

Bottom line, what was the problem? Was it resolved? Okay if it was then why do you need to take it any further? That's where gay people get a lot of negative publicity. Taking things to the extreme in an effort to gain attention for a cause is always going to have negative consequences.
Well I can kinda see what you're saying about taking things too far with a lawsuit. I don't know anything about a lawsuit. That's a matter between the couple's attorney and Safeway. Lawyers go after people all the time with lawsuits. How is this couple any different? You're making a blanket statement about all gay people versus looking at the individual.

Again, they're standing up for their rights. Would I sue Safeway over this matter? No, I probably would be satisfied with the gal being fired. You disagree with they're doing then be mad at the couple don't blame all gay people. They're decided not to take the matter lying down and I still commend them for that.

Also I'll bet Safeway will be a little careful about who they hire or give some type of diversity training from now on.

Last edited by terrence81; 06-17-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Getting the woman fired was enough. Wasn't that the original request? Was it fulfilled? So why do they need to do anything further?
Well, I didn't know about a lawsuit but we hear every month about someone using the word retard or n- or f- or whatever who has to give deference to that group"s most high profile advocacy outlet. This is just a local version of that. I'm not sure there's any quest for special attention. People are just tired of being victims of bigotry.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well I can kinda see what you're saying about taking things too far with a lawsuit. I don't know anything about a lawsuit. That's a matter between the couple attorney and Safeway. Lawyers go after people all the time with lawsuits. How is this couple any different? You're making a blanket statement about all gay people versus looking at the individual.

Again, they're standing up for their rights. Would I sue Safeway over this matter? No, I probably would be satisfied with the gal being fired. You disagree with they're doing then be mad at the couple don't blame all gay people. They're decided not to take the matter lying down and I still commend them for that.

Also I'll bet Safeway will be a little careful about who they hire or give some type of diversity training from now on.
I'm not saying all gay people are like this, I'm saying this is the reason why gay people get negative publicity. This is what is perceived in the media. I'm not trying to suggest that all are like that, but that is the label that has been given to gay people. Don't believe me? Listen to people reactions when Kobe Bryant used that word or when Joakim Noah used that word. It's about perception.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I didn't know about a lawsuit but we hear every month about someone using the word retard or n- or f- or whatever who has to give deference to that group"s most high profile advocacy outlet. This is just a local version of that. I'm not sure there's any quest for special attention. People are just tired of being victims of bigotry.
Guess what? You can't control people. No matter how much we sue people or try to punish people, they will still do it. Do you think having a death penalty around the country is stopping people from murdering? Putting an ad in a magazine sounds like a way of seeking attention. If this was really about stopping bigotry, they got the ultimate punishment already, she was fired.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying all gay people are like this, I'm saying this is the reason why gay people get negative publicity. This is what is perceived in the media. I'm not trying to suggest that all are like that, but that is the label that has been given to gay people. Don't believe me? Listen to people reactions when Kobe Bryant used that word or when Joakim Noah used that word. It's about perception.
Well I don't know the whole story but when celebrities use those type of slurs they can't be surprised when the public reacts negatively. That's a good thing and a sign of progress. This isn't really about Kobe Bryant and I've never heard of Joakim Noah. However, if they made the same comments in the media as the Safeway gal I'm certainly not going to get in line to excuse them.

Why do you care if some random couple in Waterfront wants to sue Safeway? Its a huge grocery chain with millions of dollars. They'll be fine and not to mention it has nothing to do with you.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Guess what? You can't control people. No matter how much we sue people or try to punish people, they will still do it. Do you think having a death penalty around the country is stopping people from murdering? Putting an ad in a magazine sounds like a way of seeking attention. If this was really about stopping bigotry, they got the ultimate punishment already, she was fired.
Well keep in mind when you're on the clock you represent the company and the brand. So the company that hired you always takes SOME responsible for behavior because they hired you. That's why companies get sued in sexual harassment cases versus only the individual getting sued. So in order to protect themselves most corporations have training or documentation stating that sexual harassment won't be tolerated.

Now I'm confused. Did they sue Safeway or put up a negative ad in Metro Weekly? Both of which they have a right to do but I'm kinda confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: