Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times

Advertisements

....for a day. Still, why she wasn't fired on the spot is beyond me. This kind of attitude from the cashier is more often than not the general attitude I get from most DC natives. I'm always amazed at how some here can defend this as "keeping it real". If she would have called me that, I would have been up her ass so fast her head would spin. (And not in a good way)

Safeway Cashier Apologizes For Using Gay Slur: DCist

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Blah,

Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Blah,

Blah? Boy (I) Laugh At Homosexuals???? How dare you!!!! Bigot!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I'm glad she was fired too and agree it should have happened on the spot (really makes me wonder if I'll go back there again), but why do you have such hostility toward poor black people here? You hardly comment on any other subject. Segments of the poor urban Hispanic and rural white populations in this country aren't really much different in terms of causing mayhem, drug abuse, and making inappropriate statements out of ignorance about people who are different from them.

I just don't get the singular focus on this one group.

Last edited by Bluefly; 06-17-2011 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
I give the store some leeway here. They can't just fire her off an accusation. They have to investigate the situation properly first before taking action otherwise they could be facing a lawsuit, so for that I understand if that is the reason for them not firing her right away. My problem with this situation, is why is this news? I've been to many places in this area and have been talked to inappropriately and I never had a news story done for me. Then for this couple to demand that they take a full page article out of a gay magazine to apologize is ridiculous. Do gay people realize this is one of the biggest problems people have with them? You don't deserve special privileges just because you're gay. You got your wish, she was fired, move on!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I give the store some leeway here. They can't just fire her off an accusation. They have to investigate the situation properly first before taking action otherwise they could be facing a lawsuit, so for that I understand if that is the reason for them not firing her right away. My problem with this situation, is why is this news? I've been to many places in this area and have been talked to inappropriately and I never had a news story done for me. Then for this couple to demand that they take a full page article out of a gay magazine to apologize is ridiculous. Do gay people realize this is one of the biggest problems people have with them? You don't deserve special privileges just because you're gay. You got your wish, she was fired, move on!
I completely agree that Safeway couldn't just fire the employee off an accusation, but I think that if a white Safeway employee had called an African-American customer the n word and then made a non-apologetic video apology in which they were laughing about the whole incident, the story would have made the local news as well.

Honestly, the second half of your post is a little troubling. It's the equivalent of white people complaining about people of color pulling the race card all the time and saying they don't deserve special privileges. What special privileges would those be, exactly?

ETA: Really, OP? You're going to use the term hood rat in a post complaining about offensive language?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Erm with all due respect, if I called a black person a "******" at work I would have been fired pretty ****ing quickly. Which makes sense.

And it seems every time someone who isn't black and is in the limelight uses the word, there's a huge media circus about it.

I don't think people will ever be able to eliminate hatred and prejudice, but inaction will certainly never get us there.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
....for a day. Still, why she wasn't fired on the spot is beyond me. This kind of attitude from the cashier is more often than not the general attitude I get from most DC natives. I'm always amazed at how some here can defend this as "keeping it real". If she would have called me that, I would have been up her ass so fast her head would spin. (And not in a good way)

Safeway Cashier Apologizes For Using Gay Slur: DCist
wait, so it's ok to categorize someone as a "hoodrat" but it's not ok for them to categorize folks like you as "******s"? i see a double standard here.
i'm not sure when you joined the marines sir, but when i was a new recruit i heard 100x worse slurs and insults than that and i had to deal with it.
the fact that you stated your response would be to "go up a females ass" as a result to an offensive statement speaks volumes about your character.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Erm with all due respect, if I called a black person a "******" at work I would have been fired pretty ****ing quickly. Which makes sense.

And it seems every time someone who isn't black and is in the limelight uses the word, there's a huge media circus about it.

I don't think people will ever be able to eliminate hatred and prejudice, but inaction will certainly never get us there.
and if i, a black/latino man, would call another black man a ****** would i be fired? probably not. why? i guess the powers that be think it's acceptable for blacks to insult and kill one another.
black guy kills white person = news worthy, find him, bring him to JUSTICE
black guy kills black person = just another day in dc, baltimore, chicago, philly, etc.

if you are going to play the race card, make sure you deal the whole deck first hurricane.

as a black executive and owner of a small biz with about 250 - 300 employees, i have hired and fired black, white, other. race had nothing to do with it. competency and respect of workplace was first and foremost.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
and if i, a black/latino man, would call another black man a ****** would i be fired? probably not. why? i guess the powers that be think it's acceptable for blacks to insult and kill one another.
black guy kills white person = news worthy, find him, bring him to JUSTICE
black guy kills black person = just another day in dc, baltimore, chicago, philly, etc.

if you are going to play the race card, make sure you deal the whole deck first hurricane.

as a black executive and owner of a small biz with about 250 - 300 employees, i have hired and fired black, white, other. race had nothing to do with it. competency and respect of workplace was first and foremost.
I'm not entirely sure how black on black versus black on white homicide relates to the situation at the Safeway in SW.

As a black owner of a small business, would you fire a white employee who called a black customer the n word? How about if the employee were also black? How about a black employee who called a gay customer the f word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: