Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. I will be transferring to DC (fed govt) within the next 3 months. Soo excited to get out of South TX and the heat and actually have 4 seasons.

Looking for an affordable (ya right) neighborhood within an hr to DC....budget of $2k,rental row house, with small yard or patio, at least 2 bd and decent schools...access to metro.

Thank you so much for your help. Looking forward to moving to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
I see the sticky posted above....

Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
The DC area is more expensive than any city in Texas. You're not going to be able to find a rowhouse for $2,000 in DC except in the most rundown and/or crime-ridden neighborhoods.
A small 2 br apartment in a good area is doable, but not a rowhouse.
In the suburbs, a townhouse would be equivalent to a rowhouse. The suburbs aren't really cheaper unless you go very far out from the city. Finding a townhouse for $2,000 I don't think is realistic within an hour of DC.
I think you will either have to live in a smaller apartment, up your budget, or be willing to live more than an hour from the city.

Also, I should mention that if schools are a big priority, it is generally considered that Virginia and Maryland have much better schools than DC overall, especially when you get beyond elementary schools.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM

44 posts, read 229,350 times
There are options within your price range, you just need to look. I currently pay less than that for a single-family house in a nice part of College Park. It is also walking distance to the Metro.

Although the greater DC area is quite expensive, do not be dissuaded as there are some options out there.

Best of luck with your move. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC