Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,624,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Maybe you're not old enough to know this, but DC went from being a very cheap city to a very expensive city almost overnight. I'm not sure playing the victim card is your best angle on this one. For as great as DC's become in many regards, it's also become a tough city in which to make ends meet, especially with a family. That's not victimization. That's just reality.
I (jmusmc85) am not playing the victim card. I just believe juju and others on here are playing that.

Also, I would beg to differ that this city became expensive overnight. This process has been going on since the late 90's, that is more than a decade. Not overnight. Unless you were evicted by eniment domain (sp?) then you don't have a leg (or house) to stand on. I doubt that is the case with juju. He/she is just mad that life hasn't gone their way. Even as renters, we all know that it is not our property and that their is a chance that the rent might go up or we might have to move sooner than we thought.

And newsflash, the greatest cities of the world are tough places to live. That's why they are great. Once again, I would rather DC stand among the likes of NYC and London than the likes of Detroit or Memphis.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Since this is a thread of forgiveness, I'm not going to "go there"....

Thank you to everyone else who responded (except for the 2 posters with anger management issues).
What caused this sudden shift of opinion if I may ask??

Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I bet you would be the one to actually hug the guy who mugged or robbed you too.
This doesn't make a bit of sense to me. What does hugging a mugger have to do with not jumping down a guy's throat for extending an olive branch on an internet message board forum? To me, that's just common decency. I don't know what your issues are, but perhaps you would be well-served by showing as much respect for others as Orlando/Stars/Jujulu has here.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Also, I would beg to differ that this city became expensive overnight. This process has been going on since the late 90's, that is more than a decade. Not overnight.
Real estate values in many DC neighborhoods shot up between 300-400% during that time. That *is* practically overnight in real estate terms, particularly considering that those same neighborhoods had been accessible to people on most rungs of the socioeconomic ladder throughout many decades prior. As the husband of someone who grew up in DC, I can understand how one who lived here but now lacks the financial means or job skills to remain would become frustrated. I don't always agree with how that frustration is expressed, but I get where it comes from.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,650 times
Marine guy, shouldn't you be somewhere applying for re-enlistment.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM

656 posts, read 648,907 times
Quote:
I (jmusmc85) am not playing the victim card. I just believe juju and others on here are playing that.

Also, I would beg to differ that this city became expensive overnight. This process has been going on since the late 90's, that is more than a decade. Not overnight.
That is overnight--bluefly or 14th (whoever made that point) was not talking literally. I'm not sure what your issue is.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,650 times
Quote:
That is overnight--bluefly or 14th (whoever made that point) was not talking literally. I'm not sure what your issue is.

That time of the month.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
How am I not surprise by jmusmc85's comments.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:

I think theres a difference between "dc metro area got expesnive overnight" and "a dozen or more transitional or not even quite transitional district neighborhoods got expensive overnight"

The latter did in fact happen. The former, well that happened with hiccups over 20 or more years. And parts of NoVa and Maryland aren't quite over the latest hiccup.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Marine guy, shouldn't you be somewhere applying for re-enlistment.
I can't think of anything clever to say to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.