Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,627,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Real estate values in many DC neighborhoods shot up between 300-400% during that time. That *is* practically overnight in real estate terms, particularly considering that those same neighborhoods had been accessible to people on most rungs of the socioeconomic ladder throughout many decades prior. As the husband of someone who grew up in DC, I can understand how one who lived here but now lacks the financial means or job skills to remain would become frustrated. I don't always agree with how that frustration is expressed, but I get where it comes from.
They express it by mugging you, shouting out obscenities at you, and stealing your car/bike/razor scooter. Remember razors??? Huh???Do you???

And a good majority of these so called "victims of circumstance" are barely in their teens or early 20's. What do they remember of DC in the 70/80/90's??? Only what their mammy and pappy tell them.

"DC was a chocolate city son. Now the evil white people are coming in trying to take over OUR city."

They aren't committing crime or getting involve in flash mobs to protest the living conditions or inequality in the ghettos. They are doing it because they are allowed to get away with it by enablers like you.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,733,464 times
Good lord, marine, stop hijacking every thread to push your agenda. We get it - you want DC to be like all the other world class cities that are basically playgrounds for the wealthy with a ring of suburban poverty. This isn't about that. This particular thread is about a guy who works in the field of community organizing and is struggling to make ends meet. He's not robbing anybody, he's not cussing every other word, and he's not a teenager able to be driven away by high pitched tones.

Look what you've done - you've made me defend stars!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,733,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think theres a difference between "dc metro area got expesnive overnight" and "a dozen or more transitional or not even quite transitional district neighborhoods got expensive overnight"

The latter did in fact happen. The former, well that happened with hiccups over 20 or more years. And parts of NoVa and Maryland aren't quite over the latest hiccup.
While DC's always had its wealthy areas, you could easily live in Arlington or Silver Spring or any number of other places for significantly less than you can today. Incomes haven't risen even close to what housing costs have in the past couple decades.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

656 posts, read 650,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Good lord, marine, stop hijacking every thread to push your agenda. We get it - you want DC to be like all the other world class cities that are basically playgrounds for the wealthy with a ring of suburban poverty. This isn't about that. This particular thread is about a guy who works in the field of community organizing and is struggling to make ends meet. He's not robbing anybody, he's not cussing every other word, and he's not a teenager able to be driven away by high pitched tones.

Not that we know of... >raises eyebrow, rubs chin<

Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Not that we know of... >raises eyebrow, rubs chin<
I've admitted to starting stupid, inacurrate and rude threads both as jujuju and stars99. I have apologized for being envious of the DC lifestyle. I agreed that 99% of my posts here have been a crap sandwich.

I'm not sure what else I can do that would please you at this point.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I've admitted to starting stupid, inacurrate and rude threads both as jujuju and stars99. I have apologized for being envious of the DC lifestyle. I agreed that 99% of my posts here have been a crap sandwich.

I'm not sure what else I can do that would please you at this point.
Meh. I really don't care.

I am mildly curious as to why the sudden change of heart though....

Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM

465 posts, read 929,771 times
Let me ask a serious question: What, exactly, is community organizing? When I think of community organizers, I usually think of public sector union thugs bullying people or smelly code pinksters throwing food items at elected officials.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I am mildly curious as to why the sudden change of heart though....
Um, reading my old posts and seeing how inane they were and gummed up the forum?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,222,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Since this is a thread of forgiveness, I'm not going to "go there"....

Thank you to everyone else who responded (except for the 2 posters with anger management issues).
I really hope that you were pertaining to me as one with "anger management issues" because I said that I would accept if I wasn't blocked.(which I guess I'm not now) If you somehow found that offensive then you should work on your sense of humor.

I like how I argue that I think you're viewpoint on DC is wrong by only stating that they seemed racist to me and by saying that as a fireman who works on a crew with all races and sees every part of the city, you were wrong makes me a bad person. Especially when you're the ONLY one on here that gets that impression. I'm sorry for trying to help those that call 911 when I'm just a stupid white guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC