Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFingerBoogie View Post
I found a really good one in Falls Church. It's just further out. However it's free parking and I could bring my car. How long would the train ride be into the city?
Which station in Falls Church is nearest the place? There are two , East and West Falls.
Go to wmata.com and use the trip planner to find out the exact length of the ride.

The bigger question you need to look into is how will you get to the metro station? If you are far away that can be longer than the train ride. Be skeptical of apartments that advertise that they are "close" to a metro stop and actually look at a map to see how close it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 AM

19 posts, read 30,116 times
It's the East Falls Church Metro.

I am always checking on google maps to see how far the nearest metro station is. This is an 8 minute walk to the station. A shuttle is also provided. And being able to take a car is another option.

It's also about a 20 minute commute with the rail from East Falls Church metro to Farragut

Good enough? Or could I do better?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,290 times
Try Urban Igloo -- they help people find apartments for free in DC -- they are awesome. They helped me find my apartment when I first got to the city! Their office is actually right across from the Farragut West metro. Good luck finding something!

Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It's the East Falls Church Metro.

I am always checking on google maps to see how far the nearest metro station is. This is an 8 minute walk to the station. A shuttle is also provided. And being able to take a car is another option.

It's also about a 20 minute commute with the rail from East Falls Church metro to Farragut

Good enough? Or could I do better?
I can't say how good it is because I don't know how expensive the place is, or how nice of a place it is.

If by "better" you mean closer to your office, yes you could get much closer. For 1,000 to 1,800 you could live somewhere within walking distance of your office.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I can't say how good it is because I don't know how expensive the place is, or how nice of a place it is.

If by "better" you mean closer to your office, yes you could get much closer. For 1,000 to 1,800 you could live somewhere within walking distance of your office.
Come to think of it, I think I know exactly what this place is. Oakwood Apartments on Roosevelt St fit the bill you are describing perfectly. I know because I stayed there one summer during college for a summer program.
They are fine--not super nice or anything, but just fine. The 8 minute walk to the metro I would say is more like a 10 to 15 minute walk. I used the shuttle in the morning during the week, but I remember that it was useless if you come back at all later in the evening, and useless on the weekends.

I had mine paid for through my program, but I bet Oakwood is very expensive. They are corporate apartments so they are trying to make a profit, so of course it is more expensive than just a private citizen renting out a room. This is why I said you really limit your options by ruling out Craigslist. On Craigslist for sublets you can find somebody who is just looking to temporarily replace a roommate who is out of the country for a long trip. These people are generally just trying to fill a spot, not looking for a profit. So Craigslist is where the deals are, for the most part. Once you've ruled that out, you're left with the overpriced corporate stuff.

But maybe you're lucky and got a good deal. I don't know.

Another thing to mention is this area where you are looking at is very much generic suburbia. Lots of strip malls you have to drive to, same as you can find in any town in America. You'd be missing out on the walkable, city life that is found in much of DC and even some parts of Arlington, VA. Many people actually prefer suburbia to the city, of course, so maybe this doesn't apply to you but I thought I'd mention it.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 30,116 times
Haha awesome. stateofnature you read my mind. That was the apartment I was looking at actually.

It's $1300. Free parking, one month half off, close to rail.

Also my job is just temp....6 months. I am thankful my parents are doing good and close to retirement that they have enough money. I really am coming to DC just for the work experience I will get from the job. Not the money at all!

I was even considering a $75/day corporate apartment, fully furnished in DC, only 4 minute walk to the office. So it would be $2200 almost for 1 month because of the short 5-6 month lease I want. I would only need to bring my clothes and a toothbrush.

The bottom line is that I want convenience so I can focus 100% on my job and hopefully get a permanent job in the area. So just not sure where to stay yet :/

Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Haha awesome. stateofnature you read my mind. That was the apartment I was looking at actually.

It's $1300. Free parking, one month half off, close to rail.

Also my job is just temp....6 months. I am thankful my parents are doing good and close to retirement that they have enough money. I really am coming to DC just for the work experience I will get from the job. Not the money at all!

I was even considering a $75/day corporate apartment, fully furnished in DC, only 4 minute walk to the office. So it would be $2200 almost for 1 month because of the short 5-6 month lease I want. I would only need to bring my clothes and a toothbrush.

The bottom line is that I want convenience so I can focus 100% on my job and hopefully get a permanent job in the area. So just not sure where to stay yet :/

Yeah $1300 is a lot, but that's what you get when you go the corporate route. Is that for a studio, 1 bedroom, or will you have roommates? if it's a 1br, that's actually not that bad. I still think it's overpriced though.

I'm 100% sure you could find something cheaper and much closer to your office if you looked on Craigslist, but it sounds like you are committed to Oakwood.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM

230 posts, read 860,102 times
Try looking for a studio in SW Waterfront in DC. I know Capital Park Plaza does short-term leases--the place ain't fancy, but you'll be near two metro stations.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
On Craigslist for sublets you can find somebody who is just looking to temporarily replace a roommate who is out of the country for a long trip.
The two situations that describe 100% of the situations that I found on Craigslist when looking for a short-term stay were:
- housemate was leaving the country for a spell
- housemate was moving for another job and needed someone to take over the lease

Keep in mind that a lot of people here move around a lot for work -- they might work in international development and get posted for a few months to some far-flung country, or they work in politics and get sent to do field operations in some small prairie town. There's a nonstop stream of people coming & going, and by and large they use Craigslist to list their places.

That said, if you're looking to cut costs and can bring some of your own furniture, I would again strongly recommend searching for short-term options via the Apartment Showcase link. Plenty of apartment complexes (like Capitol Park) are willing to do 6-month leases at just a bit above market. The Farragut area is very easy to get to from almost anywhere in town, since it's on three Metro lines.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
BadFingerBoogie: Don't know if you've already found a place, but I'd suggest looking at apartments along Lee Highway in Arlington, west of Glebe Road. There's a bus line (3Y) that goes down Lee Highway and then over the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge, up 19th Street NW, and then down K Street, on into Farragut Square (and then McPherson Square). I used to take it every day--very convenient. The apartments on Lee will be cheaper because they're not close to a Metrorail station. And that area is very affluent and safe.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC