Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:59 PM

19 posts, read 30,099 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am starting an entry level job (My first one out of college) in roughly 3 weeks. This office is on K street in NW Washington DC right next to the Washington Square building.

It's a 6 month job and I will be on it till July 1. Can you guys advise on my best options here in terms of getting a 6 month lease on an apartment?

My price range is $1,000-$1800. I would also prefer walking to the office so something close by would be good.

I know I might sound extremely naive with what I just posted but I guess I need some enlightenment as well.

Please advise, thanks. If you have any more questions, please ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
For that time horizon, you will either pay through the nose for a "corporate apartment" (similar to hotel rates, honestly) or else do a short-term sublet via Craigslist. This article mentions some options:

The Not-So-Secret (and Profitable) World of DC’s Short-Term Rental Market

The Washington Post's "Apartment Showcase" also lets you search for big apartment complexes that allow short-term leases (6 months is pretty typical):

Apartments for Rent Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC

In your price range and in that neighborhood, you're probably looking at sharing an apartment via a sublet. Renting on your own, particularly for a short-term lease, is going to be considerably more expensive.

Do bear in mind that companies are obligated to charge hotel tax (!) on any rentals in DC shorter than 3 months. Individuals probably won't charge that tax.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Im very uncomfortable turning to Craigslist in an unfamiliar city for my housing needs.

I talked to an apartment realtor today who said it would be upward $2000 for what I am looking for. Just great.

She suggested I look for apartments in Northern Virginia. I might as well keep that as an option.

Would you be able to tell me how the metro rail/bus works? If you also have some good apartments in mind, that would be great. Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 01:20 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Craigslist is how 90% of the people I know (mostly in their 20s and recently out of college) found their apartments. If you eliminate Craigslist, you are really limiting your options. I don't see why you would be more uncomfortable using Craigslist than some other option.

Go to craigslist and search under the "sublets/temporary" category. That is where the places available for just 6 months will be.

Go to wmata.com for information about DC's public transportation system.

Oh, also, your realtor clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about. This is a really expensive city but I think you definitely will be able to find something in your budget. $2000 and up is REALLY expensive even for DC.
This is why you should feel better about using Craigslist. The "traditional" options like using a realtor are fraught with their own problems, like using a realtor who is going to make you pay through the nose.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 PM

Well I am looking for a 6 month lease really soon at that.

I guess I will look on craigslist as well however I think I want to find an apartment close to the orange line.

Update: I called a few Apartments in Falls Church area I think I will go with this option because it is less money, better rooms, and taking my own car will be much easier. Plus, I can find something close to the orange line.

Will this work? Please advise.

Last edited by BadFingerBoogie; 12-26-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Falls Church isn't that far from K Street. About a 20 to 25 minute metro ride. So it would work BUT I highly recommend finding a place that is WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE to a metro station. If you have to ride a bus or drive to the metro that can really add a lot of time to your commute.

Personally speaking, if your budget is $1,000 to $1,800, I think you can find something closer and more convenient to DC than Falls Church. But it's a nice town and not that far away.
What are you seeing that is "less money?" How do you know how cheap it is? You have to look on Craigslist to get a feel for what the market is like before you can conclude that you are getting a good deal.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Would you recommend Ballston, Virginia Sq, Clarendon, or Court House? That's on the orange line which would drop me off at Farragut West.

I could do the Red Line too which would drop me off at Farragut North.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFingerBoogie View Post
Would you recommend Ballston, Virginia Sq, Clarendon, or Court House? That's on the orange line which would drop me off at Farragut West.

I could do the Red Line too which would drop me off at Farragut North.
All of these would be fine.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:32 PM

I found a really good one in Falls Church. It's just further out. However it's free parking and I could bring my car. How long would the train ride be into the city?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFingerBoogie View Post
Hello everyone,

I am starting an entry level job ..

My price range is $1,000-$1800.
You didn't mention salary, but I'd be surprised if an "entry level" job could afford you $1,800 a month in rent. Be careful with the budget, DC is $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC