Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,695 times

Advertisements

So many people that I know in the DC area are from somewhere else and don't know the area very well. They chose a town to live in the DC area because it is close to work but outside of their normal routine of driving to work, school or shopping the rest of the large Washington DC Metro Area is completely foreign and unknown to them. I talk to people who live in Fairfax that have never bothered to visit Maryland. People who live in Bethesda who have never seen Tyson's Corner. I asked dozens of people who were sitting around the break room at my employer in Fairfax VA if they had ever seen Annapolis MD and no one had. Just a couple had visited Old Town Alexandria.

How can people live in one of the most dynamic cities in the country and never see anything outside of their neighborhood or workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,915 times
I've traveled as far West as Chicago, as far South as Orlando and as far North as Boston.

As for people in Bethesda who've never gone to Tysons, I'm pretty sure there are people who do go there but it's a long drive of course coupled with the traffic.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Bethesda to Tysons isn't a long drive outside of rush hour. Used to do it quite a bit when my mom lived in Bethesda.

I've explored a fair amount. Before I turned 16 I basically only knew Bethesda and Upper NW DC, but then I started looking around other parts of town. Went to Arlington a few times after not having been there in years, went to Annandale to have Korean food, been to parts of PG several times, been to Silver Spring tons of times after having been there like once, been to Rockville a few times. I like getting in a car and just driving around. It's best done during the Spring and Summer when there's still a lot of light out after rush hour. I drove all the way up to Clarksburg, MD once just for kicks. Another time I went to drop my sis and her friends off at Merriweather Post Pavilion and then drove from there all the way to Lake Shore, MD. Took the scenic way back through some windy twisty roads near BWI, it was fun.

Honestly that's the main reason I want a car. So I can go exploring.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I've lived in the DC area for decades. So yeah, I've been to or at least driven around pretty much every suburb in the counties surrounding DC. It's a large area and for most people it will take many years to want to or need to explore the area to that extent.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Well this Virginian just doesn't see the need to explore. I would imagine that once you have kids you just don't have the time to go all over the place particularly when traffic is so bad here. I too have said that I would do some exploring. Maryland is pretty foreign to me particularly Montgomery county. With the closing of Bloomingdales at White Flint mall I just might mosy on across the river though.

No I've never been to Annapolis. I don't know anyone there and never had a reason to go. People just don't have time for all that once they get caught up in their usual routine of work and weekend errands.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well this Virginian just doesn't see the need to explore. I would imagine that once you have kids you just don't have the time to go all over the place particularly when traffic is so bad here. I too have said that I would do some exploring. Maryland is pretty foreign to me particularly Montgomery county. With the closing of Bloomingdales at White Flint mall I just might mosy on across the river though.

No I've never been to Annapolis. I don't know anyone there and never had a reason to go. People just don't have time for all that once they get caught up in their usual routine of work and weekend errands.
You can avoid most the traffic by not driving during the rush hours - which are 6 to 9 am. and 2 to 8 p.m. on weekdays. Go to Annapolis, it's pretty. Look up when they have their boat show this year. It's one of the biggest there is.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You can avoid most the traffic by not driving during the rush hours - which are 6 to 9 am. and 2 to 8 p.m. on weekdays. Go to Annapolis, it's pretty. Look up when they have their boat show this year. It's one of the biggest there is.
True. However this goes back to having a busy life. During the week I certainly don't have time to drive all the way to Annapolis. The weekends are spent doing other things closer to home or in the city after dark. I don't even have kids. I can't imagine where someone with children finds the time. Although I suppose Annapolis would be a good outing to them along to.

Annapolis is on my bucket list though. I hear that its very pretty. I keep saying that I want to explore parts of my own state. Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia but I've never been. I keep saying I want to check out Luran Caverns after seeing all those commercials. I loved Edgar Allan Poe in school it'd be neat to take a field trip to Baltimore and see his house. Back in 2010 me and the ex drove up to Philly and had a blast I keep saying I want to do that again. So yes plenty of things to do the question is just finding the time.

Last edited by terrence81; 01-06-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

246 posts, read 589,353 times
Yes, I have explored most of the region, both before and after kids. When I first had a child, exploring was a daily necessity for us, as our kid naps best while in the car. But, we have always explored a ton. This area is great for exploring!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,915 times
Get lost in DC. Literally. DC is one of the least navigable cities in the country. Plus they have narrow streets similar to major cities in Europe. But it's great to explore the neighborhoods and tourist areas.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
I would actually call myself an "expert" on the area. Part of it is because I have a lot of family I'm close to in the area, which required me to travel to places like Chantilly, Bowie, Centreville, Huntingtown, Brandywine and Glen Burnie. Then I have family in each of the four quadrants. The only areas I'm not so familiar with are areas way out in Fairfax or some of the outer reaches of Arlington. But if I know traffic is backed up on 270, I know that I can take Veirs Mill to Rockville Pike. Or if I feel like cheating to get quick access to Pennsylvania from 395, I'll illegally use the RFK exit to circle back around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Get lost in DC. Literally. DC is one of the least navigable cities in the country. Plus they have narrow streets similar to major cities in Europe. But it's great to explore the neighborhoods and tourist areas.
I thought that too at first. It's really very basic though. Just spend a Saturday morning driving around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: