Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
TCave you've nailed it. I'm waaaay older than you and it was the beef on the basketball court that is the main dislike between the cities. Besides growing up in DC we didn't go to Balt unless it was Lexington Market or the Harbor. Now it's just gotten worse over time (the rivalry bet Balt, DC & PG) about music, clothes, personal style etc. You know a lot more about Baltimore than I did when I grew up in DC. Young people nowadays are more worldly and exposed to more. I lived in Baltimore for ten years, my daughter was in a great school. Living in Bsltimore was a shock to my core coming from DC. Two totally different cities. I couldn't wait to get home. Being that I understood the historical animosity between the two cities, I felt like I was betraying home, lol. Morgan is a great school. Give moving to Baltimore some thought. It's different.
Yeah it's unfortunate that the rivalry has gotten this serious now, especially since some of the Baltimoreans I've came across in DC/PG of various ages seemed to be pretty cool people. My GF who's also raised here in PG is close friends with two Baltimoreans at Bowie State and they're part of her Feathers of the Ma'at sisterhood organization (she's a co-founder). If we put aside most of our differences, both DC/PG and Bmore Blacks can be as tight as glue and maybe even resurrect a camaraderie.

I haven't been to Lexington Market before, but I would like to check it out. I'm aware of the immediate surroundings of the market though, junkies and open-air dealers but I've heard that they're harmless for the most part. I really really really wanna try out a Berger's cookie (especially before they'll change their recipe in order to meet the trans-fat laws) and I'm dying to try Faidley's....Their crab cakes look too good!!

And lol, I personally wouldn't call it betrayal More like experiencing a different city and culture while attending one of the most highly-regarded HBCU's in the country. Plus, I know moving to and living in a city can be much different from visiting, even attending university to some extent (though I know attending Morgan State will still give me some insight on what it's like to live in Bmore). I just like picturing myself living in an affordable, decently spacious, and beautiful 3-4 story brownstone (converted walk-up apartment) in Bolton Hill, Mount Vernon, Ridgley's Delight, Union Square, Patterson Park, or Midtown. Those neighborhoods seem to be really nice for the most part as well being pretty diverse in the racial/ethnic/cultural/subcultural context. Gotta be aware on some of the negatives of living in Bmore though I definitely agree with that. The property taxes (if one is interested in homeownership of course), high crime rate, very corrupt city government (almost every major US city has a corrupt gov't but Bmore's is one of the worst), blight in large parts of the city, and lackluster city services for the most part is enough to give one pause. We shall see one day, if not, there's always Philly (breathtakingly awesome city) or Atlanta for a possible post-collegiate change of scenery from the DMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yeah it's unfortunate that the rivalry has gotten this serious now, especially since some of the Baltimoreans I've came across in DC/PG of various ages seemed to be pretty cool people. My GF who's also raised here in PG is close friends with two Baltimoreans at Bowie State and they're part of her Feathers of the Ma'at sisterhood organization (she's a co-founder). If we put aside most of our differences, both DC/PG and Bmore Blacks can be as tight as glue and maybe even resurrect a camaraderie.

I haven't been to Lexington Market before, but I would like to check it out. I'm aware of the immediate surroundings of the market though, junkies and open-air dealers but I've heard that they're harmless for the most part. I really really really wanna try out a Berger's cookie (especially before they'll change their recipe in order to meet the trans-fat laws) and I'm dying to try Faidley's....Their crab cakes look too good!!

And lol, I personally wouldn't call it betrayal More like experiencing a different city and culture while attending one of the most highly-regarded HBCU's in the country. Plus, I know moving to and living in a city can be much different from visiting, even attending university to some extent (though I know attending Morgan State will still give me some insight on what it's like to live in Bmore). I just like picturing myself living in an affordable, decently spacious, and beautiful 3-4 story brownstone (converted walk-up apartment) in Bolton Hill, Mount Vernon, Ridgley's Delight, Union Square, Patterson Park, or Midtown. Those neighborhoods seem to be really nice for the most part as well being pretty diverse in the racial/ethnic/cultural/subcultural context. Gotta be aware on some of the negatives of living in Bmore though I definitely agree with that. The property taxes (if one is interested in homeownership of course), high crime rate, very corrupt city government (almost every major US city has a corrupt gov't but Bmore's is one of the worst), blight in large parts of the city, and lackluster city services for the most part is enough to give one pause. We shall see one day, if not, there's always Philly (breathtakingly awesome city) or Atlanta for a possible post-collegiate change of scenery from the DMV
You've done your homework. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
You've done your homework. Keep up the good work.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC