Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,535,730 times

Advertisements

The impression that I get from most people in DC is that they were forced to move here because of the better job market. No one really wants to move here like they would move to SF or NYC.

Do you feel thats the case as well? I mean no one dreams to move to exciting DC and work for the feds/ contractor when they grow up.

DC is a city which people are forced to move to and like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,593 times
I moved here voluntarily in 2004 because I wanted to come to DC. I had a job lined up, but I didn't move here because of the job. I thought that DC seemed like a fun and interesting city to live in, and I've actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM

37 posts, read 112,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Do you feel thats the case as well?
Yes. I've been here almost 10 years and this city still doesn't feel like it's home for me. We've been talking about taking the plunge and looking to move away in a couple of years. I know a few people who really love living here, but most are here for the jobs.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:11 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,573 times
Quote:
The impression that I get from most people in DC is that they were forced to move here because of the better job market. No one really wants to move here like they would move to SF or NYC.

Do you feel thats the case as well? I mean no one dreams to move to exciting DC and work for the feds/ contractor when they grow up.

No. Nobody is "forced" to move anywhere. Your posts are just crazy to me. Really, nobody is interested in government and NGOs? You are just projecting your own wants and desires.

*edit*

I briefly read some of your other posts and don't want to be as harsh. I understand a lot of times the grass is greener and it sounds like you just really hate your job/organization. I get that. But there are some really interesting jobs in DC area and not everyone here is as down in the dumps as you are. I still think you're projecting but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited by BoomBoxing; 02-02-2012 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Earlier in my life, I was given the opportunity to move to San Francisco.

But I decided to stay in the DC area and have not regretted that decision one bit. DC is way better than SF.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,444 times
Not everyone in DC is a fed bureaucrat or contractor! Many of us are journalists, run nonprofits, work for congresspeople and Senators, work for Living Social, work at bars and restaurants, etc etc etc.
Just because you hate your job, analyze_this, doesn't mean everyone in DC does too.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,251,680 times
I certainly did not move to the DC area on purpose. I got a job up here. The rest is history. I was told that DC was a horrible crime ridden city.

Now that I'm up here I love it. I consider this my home and have no interest in moving anywhere else.

Most people don't dream of DC certainly not the suburbs of DC but life is hard but very good here.

For the record I'm not forced to live here. When the job that brought me up here ended I had opportunities to interview for jobs in other cities with a lower cost of living a couple years ago and I didn't give them the time of day. I could've moved back home and lived with my parents for free while still collecting unemployment. I wasn't about to return home with my tail between my legs though. I stayed and eventually got my current job with better pay.

So maybe there's a personal story. For me there was pride. I had the opportunity to return to Georgia but my pride wouldn't let me. When I went home last Christmas a couple of friends congratulated me for "getting out of Columbus" (GA) like I had won a gold medal. So I'm sure there's plenty of people here from smaller towns and cities who vowed to never return to their humble beginnings.

I always say that DC isn't a slutty city like the aforementioned New York and San Francisco. Everyone doesn't love her and she doesn't put out when you first meet. You gotta wine and dine her first. In other words you gotta let DC grow on you.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,294 times
Quote:

Absolutely moved here by choice. I had a comfortable job, nice apartment in the Gold Coast and a good salary in Chicago - there was no pressure to leave at all.... Came here entirely by choice. In fact, I wanted to move here so much, I did it despite the hassle of moving a family and selling my place.

Its not perfect -- it rains here more than I remember, the cost of living I perhaps underestimated by about 15% or so, its certainly not as warm or sunny as California, I miss having taxis at my doorstep and everything within walking distance, I havent made many friends in the time I've been here (harder to do than I imagined) - but theres a ton going for it that makes me very happy to be here.

I have a fantastic job that affords me plenty of flexibility and time with my family, I'm surrounded by very smart and capable coworkers with whom I share a genuine interest in work, I'm intellectually stimulated by my peers and neighbors, I've got a reasonable 20 minute commute along some fairly scenic roads, live in a cute, albeit dated, house with a nice backyard for my kids to enjoy, and on the weekends I can choose between skiing, the beach, hiking, museums, dinner out, whatever. My kids get to grow up in a truly diverse international setting (or at least as international as any place in the US), I get to enjoy four seasons of approximately equal length, and I'm in an area of the country that is, by comparison, relatively recession proof.

This weekend I'll probably be out hiking on the billy goat trail, kid in tow, enjoying some decent outdoor activities 20 minutes from my house. For all the complaining people do, I think DC is great.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,886,121 times
Well DC is a very unique area and I know I wasn't forced to move here. There were more opportunities here and it was diverse in a lot of ways and is also progressive. I really do like near a city w/o actually having to live in the city. I'm not sure where you're going with this however.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 PM

837 posts, read 1,799,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Well DC is a very unique area and I know I wasn't forced to move here. There were more opportunities here and it was diverse in a lot of ways and is also progressive. I really do like near a city w/o actually having to live in the city. I'm not sure where you're going with this however.
Wants confirmation DC sucks so he doesnt feel alone hating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: