Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Not sure how your eyeballs and 18 years behind the wheel never took you to any other congested center city area, where driving is exactly the same. I'm used to NY and Philly driving, and I actually find drivers here are much less aggressive and hardly use their horn.

If someone in Philly isn't paying attention when the light turns green, the entire line of cars behind them is laying on the horn and/or busting moves around them. Here, everyone quietly waits until maybe one person gives a polite little beep.
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think that drivers in and around DC aren't aggressive (careless/reckless is more like it) and horn-prone.

throw in virginia drivers (more careless than reckless) and maryland drivers (more aggressive and reckless than careless) and it makes for a miserable soup.

is it the "worst" area of the country to drive in? who knows? there is no right or wrong answer and getting into a pissing match about it serves no purpose. just don't try to sell anyone on how mellow and polite the drivers are in the area because anyone who has spent any length of time driving in and around downtown knows better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
One of what people? I was just curious if you had proof because, in my experience, DC drivers are a lot less aggressive, drive slower, and are more accommodating than most other major cities.

As you requested, I do have some evidence that supports what I've observed. The most aggressive and angry drivers according to a survey I found claimed that Miami topped the list for many years (2006: Miami, Phoenix, New York, L.A., Boston) but was unseated in a more recent ranking:

1. New York
2. Dallas / Fort Worth
3. Detroit
4. Atlanta
5. Minneapolis / St Paul
6. Phoenix
7. Miami
8. Houston
9. Cincinnati
10. San Diego
i see no proof of this evidence, nor do i see merit in this type of survey since it's all relative to one's own perception and experience. you can't point to this data (which for all we know you just made up) and call it cold, hard facts.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
i see no proof of this evidence, nor do i see merit in this type of survey since it's all relative to one's own perception and experience. you can't point to this data (which for all we know you just made up) and call it cold, hard facts.
You think I just made up a list of cities to try to pull one over on you? Look it up yourself: AutoVantage Road Rage Survey. Also, by your own logic, you see no merit in your assertions because they are "all relative to one's own perception and experience".

Much like a political poll getting a sense of which candidates people support, this survey provides a broader sampling to create a more systemic quantification beyond anecdotal claims by individuals, such as you and I, who do not have the advantage of such a comprehensive view across multiple cities and thousands of people. Its conclusion is simply that drivers in general are much more aggressive and angry in cities like New York, Dallas, and Miami; not that the DC area is void of aggressive, angry drivers altogether.

According to one website posting the study, the survey identified road rage as being defined by:
1. Angry drivers (who overreact and lose temper)
2. Aggressive driving (such as cutting into lanes, tailgating, speeding, and honking)

All that said - when I'm walking around and almost get thoughtlessly run over, more often than not the plates are Maryland.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think that drivers in and around DC aren't aggressive (careless/reckless is more like it) and horn-prone.

throw in virginia drivers (more careless than reckless) and maryland drivers (more aggressive and reckless than careless) and it makes for a miserable soup.

is it the "worst" area of the country to drive in? who knows? there is no right or wrong answer and getting into a pissing match about it serves no purpose. just don't try to sell anyone on how mellow and polite the drivers are in the area because anyone who has spent any length of time driving in and around downtown knows better.
My point was, first and foremost, that similar aggressive driving happens in all congested city centers including DC.

We have a difference of perspective in that DC is significantly less aggressive than the congested city centers I am used to, and really of no note, whereas it is apparently presents a very aggressive environment to you.

We also have a difference of causation. To you it's "generally miserable, self-important, stressed out husks" causing the problem. To me it's just an unavoidable result of packing a lot of cars into one area, and chances are some of those people are going to be in a rush.

Anyway, I think it's a little silly to be outraged or stunned by city-driving in the city.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
My point was, first and foremost, that similar aggressive driving happens in all congested city centers including DC.

We have a difference of perspective in that DC is significantly less aggressive than the congested city centers I am used to, and really of no note, whereas it is apparently presents a very aggressive environment to you.

We also have a difference of causation. To you it's "generally miserable, self-important, stressed out husks" causing the problem. To me it's just an unavoidable result of packing a lot of cars into one area, and chances are some of those people are going to be in a rush.

Anyway, I think it's a little silly to be outraged or stunned by city-driving in the city.
it's all relative.

some folks on the tampa forums complain that drivers here are rude and generally mean. i find that hilarious. nobody honks, and believe me, there are plenty of stupid drivers down here who are honk-worthy. very little aggression though.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
why are you going off on a tangent about traffic lol?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
One of the major reasons people leave this area is traffic (as stated right in this thread by people who want to leave).

It's not a tangent and, along with cost of living, really speaks to the long-term viability of this region to attract and retain people for more than a few years.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ that's true.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
that's because they are generally miserable, stressed out husks.

and everyone is self-important. can't forget that. they're the VIPs of life. you can tell on any major road in or around the city. GET OUT OF MY WAY. i'm very important. i have an urgent... nothing to do.... but damned if i can't get there 5 minutes quicker if i cut people off, tailgate, honk, and make my own lanes on the 395 shoulder.

no thanks.
bullseye.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
heh, because that's easily a top 3 watercooler discussion point when living in or around the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC