Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 744 times

Advertisements

This is one rare case of everyone being right on every point. As a fifth and fourth generation Washingtonian on my father and mother's side respectively I can say that D.C. culture runs deep and has roots that much like any southern town was formed out of the an era of slavery and segregation. It is easy to believe that the city has long overcome such issues due to the increasing diversity of the town but its true culture still has much to do with the fact that there is and has always been two cities and folks experience in drasticatically different ways hence the hardcore punk and go-go extremes. Though one can draw parallels between the two genres I expect there are few who enjoy both at equal levels. I would add one point though, the culture is in constant evolution (like any others). The city our youth know today does not exactly resemble the one I grew up in and its terribly different from the legally segregated (at first) and then riot-scorched city that my parents grew up in. The heartbeat of the city lies within the youth as much as it does old heads lol. You still can find certain DCisms though in carry-outs, crab joints, rec centers, The Shrimp Boat, the Wharf, and some of the vernacular, young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,974,081 times
Well, it's very apparent and down right blatant. On the other threads here regarding gentrification, there is not a care in the world for preserving the cultural aspects of DC. Instead it is mostly about removing the "trashy" elements.

Those are the people you should be sitting down and asking why they aren't contributing to DCs cultural existence. Go ahead, they are right next door. They are the very ones bleeping you over.

I'm going to keep doing it and pointing out these contradictions. It's not even my city but I come from a place where culture matters big time. These people come from the wild somewhere. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

One asks a question about the culture and another posts up a street rap link as if that is suppose be some significant contribution in dealing with a dying culture. It's called "reaching".

Old 08-25-2015, 07:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,437,457 times
What is there to misunderstand???!! As a Baltimorean, I've always LOVED DC culture! I like DC better than my own city and make NO apologies for it; it'called personal preference ninjaz! So, whoever says that DC has NO culture, I would say there are insane to say the least. If anyone has any sort of historical empathy and comprehension of Washington DC, they wouldn't make such ludicrous assertions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53rdSEDCBOY View Post
am born and raised in DC the whole area...DC does not lack in culture...Most if not all DC culture is African american which means it gets miss understood. U street Was the rival to Harlem back in the day alot signifigant African american history went down in DC... Thats why the nickname is "chocolate city"... Yes Washingtonians love Crabs and seafood in general...DC culture: Music DC has its own genre of music which is called go-go the heartbeat of the city...DC does not get alot of credit for things annd normally get looked over beacuse the political aspect of the city is so huge but this city is a hidden jewel an u have be from here to relly know the deal...PG county MD has the most in common with DC its basically the 9th ward Nova is is kinda far so it really doesn't have much in common with the city as far as culture...Like it or not the "ghettos" of DC have alot of influence on this city they are where u get the real DC feel...
Baltimore City, technically, can be described by people from the city's past and present as a "southern backwater" town. There are ample enough historical papers and empirical evidence speaking to this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think most northerners see it as southern backwater, and a lot of southerners see it as east coast and snobbish. Neither one of those is really true, of course. Also D.C. is of course the capital, so people associate with cut throat politicos, law makers, and people out to make their names known. Not a very pretty picture. But yes, D.C. really does have a nice culture underneath it all.
53rd, I wanted to give this post a double "like", but it won't allow me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53rdSEDCBOY View Post
am born and raised in DC the whole area...DC does not lack in culture...Most if not all DC culture is African american which means it gets miss understood. U street Was the rival to Harlem back in the day alot signifigant African american history went down in DC... Thats why the nickname is "chocolate city"... Yes Washingtonians love Crabs and seafood in general...DC culture: Music DC has its own genre of music which is called go-go the heartbeat of the city...DC does not get alot of credit for things annd normally get looked over beacuse the political aspect of the city is so huge but this city is a hidden jewel an u have be from here to relly know the deal...PG county MD has the most in common with DC its basically the 9th ward Nova is is kinda far so it really doesn't have much in common with the city as far as culture...Like it or not the "ghettos" of DC have alot of influence on this city they are where u get the real DC feel...

Last edited by Yac; 08-26-2015 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: