Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,111 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 22-year old female considering moving to a house two blocks from the Federal Center SW metro station. I've never lived in DC before and am a recent graduate of a suburban college but am fairly street-smart. Is this a pretty safe area? I'm not planning on walking back in the middle of the night but might come back occasionally at 10 or 11 or thereabouts. Is that safe or would it be better for me to generally take taxis at night? Should I feel at all nervous, beyond the general wariness one should have in a city, walking around in the evening?

Thanks,
armadillo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
It's really all federal buildings, not sure where there are even houses around there. Reasonably safe, but incredibly desolate.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Yeah I am surprised there is any housing down there at all. It's a totally government office area that goes dead after 6:30 pm when all the federal employees go home. Not where I would want to live because I would feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend living there.
Is this "house" (i'm guessing not a house per se but an apartment) really two blocks away from Federal Center SW? The closest residential area I can think of would be around the Southwest Waterfront but that would be a little more than two blocks away. If that's where the "house" is, then it's not an unsafe area, but is full of a lot of public housing and maybe not the best place to spend a lot of time walking around at night by oneself.
Have you actually visited this place?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,111 times
Hi, thanks for the input. The building is definitely a house--I haven't visited but have seen pictures and the landlord is a friend. It's on G Street SW, very close to the Southwest Freeway.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Ok, yeah there are some rowhouses on the south side of the Southwest Freeway on G St, that's where I thought you might be talking about. It's definitely more than 2 blocks from Federal Center SW (landlords do tend to exaggerate how close their properties are to things), but still a doable walk. The character of the area completely changes from a desolate federal building area north of the freeway to a quiet residential neighborhood south of the freeway, so it was a bit confusing in your first post because it made it sound like you were on the north side, which is why we were surprised you had found a house there.

There's a Safeway very close by to 4th and I SW so you've got some basic amenities not that far away. Other than that it's a pretty quiet, not dangerous neighborhood, but still worth exercising some caution at night. If you're looking for a hopping busy urban area full of people, bars, restaurants, etc, this is definitely NOT that at all, but it's still in the middle of the city so you can easily get to wherever you want to go.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM

219 posts, read 595,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishizedarmadillo View Post
Hi, thanks for the input. The building is definitely a house--I haven't visited but have seen pictures and the landlord is a friend. It's on G Street SW, very close to the Southwest Freeway.
It's generally a safe area, but I would still be pretty careful walking around there at night. That area isn't lively and vibrant at night such as Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan so there may be a higher chance of crime. But I personally haven't heard of much crime in that area.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
It is a ghost town at night. I miss my ghost town at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC