Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,824 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to the DC area in two weeks and I'm looking for an area to live in. I want to live around young people, pretty safe and close to public transportation. Biking to work would be nice but not necessary. My main priority is living somewhere where my driving commute is minimal. I've heard that living in Shaw wouldn't be too bad but still I'd love a commute of less than half an hour. Are there any pretty, young, fun places to live? I'd like to be somewhat close to DC (VA) or in Shaw if it's close. Thanks! Any information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Shaw? No. Live in North Arlington (Ballston specifically) for what you are looking for

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
if you want to cycle to work you should live in NoVa on one of the communities close to the W&OD trail, or to the Custis trail which links to the W&OD.

Ballston in arlington would have lots of young people, but would be a bit pricey. Its probably the best bet all around though - places up the W&OD like Vienna wouldnt have quite as many young people and Reston Town Center while it would have lots of young people is in the middle of "family oriented" reston, and is a longer bike ride. Or you could live in Falls Church itself - though there you would either be walking to work or cycling on the streets. Or you could look at Shirlington also on the W&OD and the Four Mile run trail.

For more info about prices and so forth try the NoVa forum.

For more info on biking, try the washington area bike forum.

also check out "bikearlington"

DC has great things, but it will be further, and pricey for what you get.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,824 times
Is it true that I can't take I-66 during commuting hours? I-66 seems like the most convenient road.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young girl, big city View Post
Is it true that I can't take I-66 during commuting hours? I-66 seems like the most convenient road.

I am pretty sure the hov 2 restriction is only for inbound in the AM and outbound in the PM - as a reverse commuter, it wouldnt effect you.

But if you live in NoVa you can easily find a bikeable commute.

Note that since you would be biking (driving on days that doesnt work?) you wouldnt need to be in the heart of ballston near the metro station, so you could save some money on rent.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
I agree with the above. Look into places in Arlington. Ballston would be good but you might also want to check out something a little North, near Lee Highway. The trail will be close so that you can bike when you want, you can find cheaper rent than in Ballston and you still won't be that far from the metro/cab stands for when you want to go out in the city.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM

161 posts, read 394,988 times
You should definitely live in Arlington! If your job is in Falls Church, the commute from Arlington to there shouldn't be too bad. Depending on where your job is located, you might be able to take US 50 instead of I66 (I66 is so hit or miss when it comes to traffic). US 50 is definitely more reliable.

I currently make the commute from Arlington away from the city, and I definitely think it's worth it. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work but the tradeoff is that I get to live a 10 minute walk from DC and there is A LOT more to do on the weekends.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,069 times
Falls Church City and Merrifield are great places to live in.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Falls Church ain't Adams Morgan but there's a little bit going on if you like to get oot and aboot. State Theater gets some national music acts. Lots of restaurants on Broad St. Nice Irish bar (Four Provinces) at Broad and Washington with some live music (Irish folk). East Falls church metro. Nearby Westover has some watering holes.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
The OP hasn't posted since last summer.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC