Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Can we please stop with the negative comments about D.C.?

There is a reason D.C. has the best local economy in the Western World...the Quality of the People.

D.C. has the highest achieving, most educated and fit group of people in America.

The best restaurants, the best theaters, the best parks and the best music scene.

If you can't make it in D.C. then go back to where you came from.

If you don't like D.C. then please keep your comments to yourself and don't post here.

If you are happy with your life then you will be happy with D.C. If you aren't happy with D.C. then you won't be happy anywhere.
best music scene lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
dc: it's rough out there; just telling it like it is.

sorry if that makes your head hurt.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
DC is like a stock you were clever enough to buy a long time ago. It was little known and undervalued when you made that investment.

But now that its price has gone through the roof, everyone who didn't buy the stock is full of regret and screaming foul play. lol.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
meh, DC is nice but it's not perfect. I don't get the brainwashed cheerleaders that think it's the greatest city ever, and honestly that goes for every city.

Just put someone on the Beltway for an hour and they'll wonder what all the hype is about.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC is like a stock you were clever enough to buy a long time ago. It was little known and undervalued when you made that investment.

But now that its price has gone through the roof, everyone who didn't buy the stock is full of regret and screaming foul play. lol.
It is nice to be sitting on a house purchased in 1990.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

This post makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Listen everyone has the right to their own opinion about anything, this is America.

However too many people who move here or visit complain about the same stuff over and over again.

If you don't like it here then get back on I-95 and kick rocks. If you've visited D.C. and didn't like then keep out. It's as simple as that. This is the capital of the worlds most powerful country. Yes the cost of living will be high, yes people will be more or less "rude", yes DC has a crime problem, yes the DC area has a high immigrant population, yes the DC area has a high African America population, yes DC is bland and sterile in a lot of section, etc, etc the list goes on. DC is like no other city in America and its true to its word. If you don't like the city there are plenty of other cities to choose from. DC isn't perfect at all, and it never will be. All of our building are short and many claim that DC isn't a real city or DC is "country" just based off that. But just remember at the end of the day this city impact your life whether your in Alexandria, VA or Juneau, Alaska, AK. Respect DC.
Quit being so sensitive. So someone doesn't like DC? big deal. If you are okay with it, why should you care what someone else thinks?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
Can we please stop with the negative comments about D.C.?

There is a reason D.C. has the best local economy in the Western World...the Quality of the People.

D.C. has the highest achieving, most educated and fit group of people in America.

The best restaurants, the best theaters, the best parks and the best music scene.

If you can't make it in D.C. then go back to where you came from.

If you don't like D.C. then please keep your comments to yourself and don't post here.

If you are happy with your life then you will be happy with D.C. If you aren't happy with D.C. then you won't be happy anywhere.
That's funny, because just moved to London and it easily tops DC on having the best local economy in the Western world. The US =/= Western world, so while DC might be one of the best nationally, it's not internationally.

On a more on-topic note, I'm meh about DC. I feel odd on here because I dislike it because it's too small. There wasn't enough for me to do and I felt bored after a while. Maybe I just need big cities, I don't know, but the place shut down way too early. "If you aren't happy with DC…" I wasn't particularly, but loved my life in New York.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
That's funny, because just moved to London and it easily tops DC on having the best local economy in the Western world. The US =/= Western world, so while DC might be one of the best nationally, it's not internationally.

On a more on-topic note, I'm meh about DC. I feel odd on here because I dislike it because it's too small. There wasn't enough for me to do and I felt bored after a while. Maybe I just need big cities, I don't know, but the place shut down way too early. "If you aren't happy with DC…" I wasn't particularly, but loved my life in New York.
D.C. is a large, important, major city. And no offense to London but if it weren't for U.S. government workers in the 1940s Londoners would be speaking German right now.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
D.C. is a large, important, major city. And no offense to London but if it weren't for U.S. government workers in the 1940s Londoners would be speaking German right now.
Russia is the reason the Allies won WWII. Ditch the American history textbooks that neglect Operation Barbarossa and the Battle of Stalingrad.

And when DC becomes one of the only two Alpha++ cities or is nearly as cosmopolitan, diverse and important in terms of the world economy as London come back to me. It's an important city, but only because of the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: