Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times

Advertisements

i know smk will post.

I am glad that the hwy didn't destroy certain areas inside the beltway which it may have done had in gone through. I do sometimes get annoyed at the 10 min I could've saved if it had gone through vs either from howard co taking 495 to 29 or 295 to ny ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
295 goes more or less straight through. Take 95 south to either 295 in Baltimore (slightly more direct) or get off of the Beltway at 295. It goes straight down to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Or, if you need to go a little further west, take 295 to the Howard Road exit, at the end of the ramp make a right, go across the bridge by the stadium, and follow signs to 395.

Coming north, you can take 395 to Pennsylvania Avenue and then make a left to get on 295. However, this is often a little crowded, so I like to get off of 395 at South Capitol and take that to 295. Outside of rush hour, it's usually pretty clear. I avoid NY Ave at all costs.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much. Sure, I may sit at a light or two where I otherwise wouldn't, but since I already live by the highway, I'd rather it be a small one cutting through DC than a big one like 495.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:06 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Bothered me for years, but it's not going to change so......

Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Some people at that time(40 years ago) did not want the Maryland Suburbs to have the upper hand in having a Direct Interstate connecting to DC from Maryland like they did when they supported building/completing I-95(Now I-395) and I-66 to DC from Virginia............

Old 03-27-2010, 07:22 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Many years ago, in the 60s, the people who lived close to the downtown objected to putting freeways through their neighborhoods solely to benefit commuters who had no emotional or financial commitment to the city. We collectively decided that Metro was a better solution. The result is a vibrant city of businesses and residences. For those who love freeways and donut cities, there are many to chose from. We in Washington recognize them as poor choices in urban planning.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
doesn't bug me at all (well hey I live in DC so I am not cutting through it to go home).

There was also I'll just mention a backlash against this cause it was the perception of... ahem

"white people swathing and cutting up black neighborhoods so they could get back to their suburbs easier..." back in the 60s. There was a real good article and series about this in the Post sometime back.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Yeah, it's no coincidence that all the highways in DC are down in the southern and eastern side of the city.

Thank goodness they were able to protect most of the city from the devastation of highways.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yeah, it's no coincidence that all the highways in DC are down in the southern and eastern side of the city.

Thank goodness they were able to protect most of the city from the devastation of highways.
id be happy if I 95 went down to the upper portions of the city.

didn't the I95 cancellation $ go towards the metro though?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Many years ago, in the 60s, the people who lived close to the downtown objected to putting freeways through their neighborhoods solely to benefit commuters who had no emotional or financial commitment to the city. We collectively decided that Metro was a better solution. The result is a vibrant city of businesses and residences. For those who love freeways and donut cities, there are many to chose from. We in Washington recognize them as poor choices in urban planning.
trust me I don't want a doughnut city.

more of an annoyance than a legit complaint.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
doesn't bug me at all (well hey I live in DC so I am not cutting through it to go home).

There was also I'll just mention a backlash against this cause it was the perception of... ahem

"white people swathing and cutting up black neighborhoods so they could get back to their suburbs easier..." back in the 60s. There was a real good article and series about this in the Post sometime back.
Is Maryland the only suburbs they were concerned with? Seems like no one tried to stop people from NoVA from getting in and out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC