Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
People come here *all the time* for work. Sure you can split hairs.....but that's just splitting hairs. People come here that can't cut it in other cities for that good ol lazy GS work.
Given that most of the agencies here have plenty of applicants to choose from, I can't imagine that the laziest applicants are getting many of the jobs.

(I work for a private sector org.).

I didn't come here for the job (had a choice of several locations); I came here because I love the city. I can't be the only one. I don't agree that there are only two choices - stay and don't complain, or leave. If something makes you unhappy, but you want to stay here (or can't leave), try to change it. The old Serenity Prayer thing, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Silly republican dogma. People is DC are high achievers.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Given that most of the agencies here have plenty of applicants to choose from, I can't imagine that the laziest applicants are getting many of the jobs.

(I work for a private sector org.).

I didn't come here for the job (had a choice of several locations); I came here because I love the city. I can't be the only one. I don't agree that there are only two choices - stay and don't complain, or leave. If something makes you unhappy, but you want to stay here (or can't leave), try to change it. The old Serenity Prayer thing, ya know?
I hear you there, and I agree with your post. I was just pointing out that more than the fare share of people that come to DC do so for employment. I am with you the "like it or leave it" mantra is foolish at best.

One could say "if all of the people complaining about DC make you mad then why don't *you* leave?"

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,959,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
More of the people who badmouth DC are the ones who can't make it here. It's the sour grapes syndrome.
If you can't make it in DC you can't make it anywhere.
I consider DC the exact opposite of NYC in this aspect.
I mean even if you're more of a blue collared person that prefers a hands on type of career the DC aea has plenty of those and plenty of schools and programs that train in stuff like construction, sheet metal, automotive mechanics, etc etc.

If you come to DC and can't "make it" after a few years (I'm being generous by saying years) then f*** you.
Point blank.

Also people complain about not making friends or not finding a man or not finding a woman, etc.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,573 times
What is this nonsense about "making it" somewhere versus anywhere else? Is it really harder to "make it" in one place versus another? Can't someone live in one city and get a job in another and thereby "make it" there without ever having even lived there?

I can't see Slacker Steve looking at a map of the United States and thinking "Golly Gee I just can't seem to make it in Oklahoma City. I think I'll move to one of the most expensive metro areas with something like 7 out of the top 10 wealthiest counties in America, with easily the highest educated populace, and many of the most difficult jobs to attain in the entire country! Easy peezy!"

Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM

27,620 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Listen everyone has the right to their own opinion about anything, this is America.

However too many people who move here or visit complain about the same stuff over and over again.

If you don't like it here then get back on I-95 and kick rocks. If you've visited D.C. and didn't like then keep out. It's as simple as that. This is the capital of the worlds most powerful country. Yes the cost of living will be high, yes people will be more or less "rude", yes DC has a crime problem, yes the DC area has a high immigrant population, yes the DC area has a high African America population, yes DC is bland and sterile in a lot of section, etc, etc the list goes on. DC is like no other city in America and its true to its word. If you don't like the city there are plenty of other cities to choose from. DC isn't perfect at all, and it never will be. All of our building are short and many claim that DC isn't a real city or DC is "country" just based off that. But just remember at the end of the day this city impact your life whether your in Alexandria, VA or Juneau, Alaska, AK. Respect DC.
I completely agree with you on this and have been saying it for some time. DC simply is one of the top cities to live and work in America.

I don't get the complaining either with all the high-income jobs available in this metro area. People have money dripping out of their wallets here. Once you make it in DC, the world is literally yours. Seriously.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,255,359 times
I came back to DC in Sept. for the Congressional Black Caucus annual legislative week. I had a great time seeing everyone but again, I'm glad it was just a visit. Went to a couple of parties. Of course the main questions I was constantly ask were, what college did I graduate from, am I a Kappa or where do you work. Oh and how could you have ever lived in Seattle with all of those white people. I almost forgot this one which really made me laugh coming out of some Washingtonian's mouth; how could you live in LA. Those people are so stuck up, snooty and fake. Lol!!! Visually DC changed a bit but the people still remain the same.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I came back to DC in Sept. for the Congressional Black Caucus annual legislative week. I had a great time seeing everyone but again, I'm glad it was just a visit. Went to a couple of parties. Of course the main questions I was constantly ask were, what college did I graduate from, am I a Kappa or where do you work. Oh and how could you have ever lived in Seattle with all of those white people. I almost forgot this one which really made me laugh coming out of some Washingtonian's mouth; how could you live in LA. Those people are so stuck up, snooty and fake. Lol!!! Visually DC changed a bit but the people still remain the same.
Do you still live there? How did you like it while you were there. I've always wanted to move out west for a year or two just for change of scenery and considered Seattle, but I keep hearing from peers theres no black population whatsoever out there

Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,163 times
Can we please stop with the negative comments about D.C.?

There is a reason D.C. has the best local economy in the Western World...the Quality of the People.

D.C. has the highest achieving, most educated and fit group of people in America.

The best restaurants, the best theaters, the best parks and the best music scene.

If you can't make it in D.C. then go back to where you came from.

If you don't like D.C. then please keep your comments to yourself and don't post here.

If you are happy with your life then you will be happy with D.C. If you aren't happy with D.C. then you won't be happy anywhere.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,255,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Do you still live there? How did you like it while you were there. I've always wanted to move out west for a year or two just for change of scenery and considered Seattle, but I keep hearing from peers theres no black population whatsoever out there
I left Seattle and moved to Los Angeles. I throughly enjoyed Seattle. I was asked numerous times about the no black people thing. There are black people and plenty of black businesses there. I had a ball there. And again, after attending hs, college, and working in DC for a while I needed a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: