Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,418,280 times

Advertisements

that's what they made silver spring for so skyscrape away there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,863,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
That's a matter of personal opinion. I don't believe it should be a goal of policymakers to ensconce subjective feelings about aesthetics into law at the expense of affordability.
I do believe they should consider such things, but it should only be one factor. Another factor should be the people who argue for skyscrapers on aesthetic grounds (and of course, those who argue it for economic reasons).

Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Leave the height restriction alone. No need for changing it has ever been demonstrated. The city is beautiful with the restriction in place.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM

465 posts, read 929,198 times
Instead of 14-15 stories, 20 would have been nice without compromising the city's look.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The fundamental failure of all your posts is a lack of understanding why DC exists. In your simple explanations, you want everybody toiling away at making the next smartphone but no one managing our nation's overall economy or its diplomatic and military relations with other nations. Unlike NYC, DC was created to be the antithesis of a commercial hub so to suggest it should resemble NYC (or Silicon Valley, which you admire yet is not known for its skyscrapers) says more about your lack of knowledge than about DC needing to grow into something it was never intended to be.

Ha, your post made me chuckle....thank you. Hopefully you feel better about yourself now after beating me up? Internet bullies rock! Anyways....

What a city was created for 2-300 years ago matters little today. Things change...this is why Paris has skyscrapers.....grandma. And besides, DC is certainly the income hub of the US, and I dont hear you complaining about that....

Automobiles were illegal once on DCs city streets back in the day as well, and guess what? Socitiey changed as the needs of the people of the city trumped tradition. Using the past (especially societal norms) to codify the future.....is a little backwards.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,722,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Ha, your post made me chuckle....thank you. Hopefully you feel better about yourself now after beating me up? Internet bullies rock! Anyways....

What a city was created for 2-300 years ago matters little today. Things change...this is why Paris has skyscrapers.....grandma. And besides, DC is certainly the income hub of the US, and I dont hear you complaining about that....

Automobiles were illegal once on DCs city streets back in the day as well, and guess what? Socitiey changed as the needs of the people of the city trumped tradition. Using the past (especially societal norms) to codify the future.....is a little backwards.
Making factual points that negate your entire argument is now considered bullying? I'll make a note of it.

Funny that you mention Paris since, you know, they actually don't have skyscrapers anywhere near their central business district so as to not block the monuments that define the skyline of Paris or take away the unique experience of being in Paris. In fact, La Defense, the outlying district where they have relegated skyscrapers, is much further away from downtown Paris than, for example, Rosslyn is here. So, thank you for making my point for me. Glad you've grown to recognize that a city's larger cultural role is an important part of its current identity.

For the record, I have no problem with easing the height restriction or reconsidering its validity as time goes by, but to suggest that DC should give up its identity just so it can look more like Cleveland, Baltimore, or Dubai when it has ample room to still grow density in places like NoMa and Navy Yard seems misguided and driven more by an ideology.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,579,856 times
Quote:
Making factual points that negate your entire argument is now considered bullying? I'll make a note of it.

Funny that you mention Paris since, you know, they actually don't have skyscrapers anywhere near their central business district so as to not block the monuments that define the skyline of Paris or take away the unique experience of being in Paris. In fact, La Defense, the outlying district where they have relegated skyscrapers, is much further away from downtown Paris than, for example, Rosslyn is here. So, thank you for making my point for me. Glad you've grown to recognize that a city's larger cultural role is an important part of its current identity.

For the record, I have no problem with easing the height restriction or reconsidering its validity as time goes by, but to suggest that DC should give up its identity just so it can look more like Cleveland, Baltimore, or Dubai when it has ample room to still grow density in places like NoMa and Navy Yard seems misguided and driven more by an ideology.

Paris is a city with almost uniform medium height buildings in its central area. Not blocks and blocks of 2 and 3 story rowhouses. DC is not at all like Paris, in terms of built form and density.

Room in NoMa and Navy Yard - well the proposal is not to end the height limit tomorrow - its to STUDY it. How long will it be till NoMa and Navy Yard are built out? The pace of new development - whats under construction and whats planned (look at JDLand's blog, or DC Urban Turf) is blistering in Navy Yard. Could be built out in a few years.

Rosslyn - Rosslyn has two metro lines - will soon have a third - and has not commuter rail. Compared to downtown DC, which has 5 metro lines (soon to be 6) and both VRE and MARC commuter rail. Rosslyn will continue to have lower transit mode share than downtown DC - is that the best place for high density? And of course new buildings in Rosslyn will not contribute to DC's coffers, which still must support services to a poorer population than in Arlington.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,880 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
1. Do it outside of downtown. (NE,NW etc)
First point I made.....there is no point to prove...only discussion to be had.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,944,613 times
Quote:
The fundamental failure of all your posts is a lack of understanding why DC exists. In your simple explanations, you want everybody toiling away at making the next smartphone but no one managing our nation's overall economy or its diplomatic and military relations with other nations. Unlike NYC, DC was created to be the antithesis of a commercial hub so to suggest it should resemble NYC (or Silicon Valley, which you admire yet is not known for its skyscrapers) says more about your lack of knowledge than about DC needing to grow into something it was never intended to be.
Why do we have to go what people intended DC to be 200 years ago? It's 2012 and real people are having trouble affording housing in DC. People deserve priority over country clubbers getting upset about their precious astethics and character

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,772,666 times
Height restrictions should be lifted, but they should be no taller than the Monument or 500ft+ away from the Capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: