Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,650 times

Advertisements

Looking for a college student in Northern, Virginia to help with childcare in exchange for free room and board. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Errr...how old is your child? With how "responsible" most college students are (I just graduated and have seen it all), I would not suggest having a college-age babysitter with a small child more than a few times a week, a few hours a day.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adetracy View Post
Looking for a college student in Northern, Virginia to help with childcare in exchange for free room and board. Any ideas?
You could advertise in media on and around college campuses near you, but I'd share some of the concerns of <SmerkyGrl>. Have you checked the local nanny referral services? They make some effort to ensure that their people are apt and trained, with good records and good refs. Compensation is perhaps less flexible going that route, but a little extra peace of mind might be worth something also...

Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Most college students have already committed to housing for this academic year, so it might be difficult if you need someone right away. And most typical college students want to live on their own, or with other college students, so you're facing an uphill battle. What you need is an older, "non-traditional" student, who is attending school part-time, perhaps living with family or friends to save money. Trinity College in DC has a lot of those kind of students, and so does Marymount in Arlington.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 9,574 times
Default Childcare

Ade

I currently live in Silver Spring, MD and looking for a childcare arrangement in exchange for room and board. I am a full time college student, have 5 years of nanny experience, and a single mom of a 5 year old. Please email me if interested.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
you need to be careful because no one works for free and to babysit someones child is a job. If you find a free baby sitter who will babysit in exchange for housing, how are they able to pay their bills. What you might create is fraustration for that person and they might take it out on your child. Thats just my opinion because I am a mother of 21month old son and I am very careful in who babysit my son.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM

198 posts, read 925,933 times
I agree that during the school year it's going to be more difficult to find a student that would want this arrangement. All of the universities in the area have a career center. I would post the job on their career sites. I would also plan to offer a salary. They aren't going to really have time to have another job, if they are watching your child/ren and in school.

A college student may not also have as flexible of a schedule as you'd hope, especially if you need them for fulltime childcare. Have you looked into an Au Pair? It may be a better option.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 9,499 times
Default live for bay sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetracy View Post
i have love for the ones with homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC