Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,578 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20something student who just graduated from undergrad and I'm planning on moving out to DC for Law School come August. I won't have a job, but student loans will be my income. I've done the whole roommate business over the last 5 years and to be frank, I can't stand it anymore.

I'm looking for a one-bedroom or studio apartment with parking (I have a car) and (preferably) in-unit washer/dryer. Those are the only two amenities that I care about.

Coming from Minnesota, you can guess that my idea of rent is very different than DC. I am planning to pay around $1,400 in rent, with utilities included.

I spent a week earlier in January in DC while touring Law Schools, so I have an (incredibly vague) idea of where the neighborhoods are. I was told that the Northwest part of the red-line is a good place to be?

I've been "online shopping" for apartments for a while and I'm just looking for some solid advice from actual people; not a search engine.

Lastly, I want a safe neighborhood, close to the Metro, and (if possible) near some sort of 20something party scene. However, I can do without the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
Your budget is pretty low for a 1 bedroom and you might even struggle to find a studio at that price with the amenities you are looking for. My suggestion is unless you have some very specific for why you need it, sell your car. You will save so much money that way and be able to stretch your budget without really limiting yourself at all.

A car is just totally unnecessary for daily life in basically all of the hip, vibrant neighborhoods where people go to party. These areas are extremely walkable and have good public transportation. Here I am referring to areas like Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, Logan Circle and Columbia Heights. In fact having a car is a burden in these areas because street parking can be scarce and no buildings will offer dedicated parking unless you are willing to pay up to hundreds of dollars a month extra.

Even in quieter areas that are a short trip away from these areas--neighborhoods like Cleveland Park, Tenleytown, Capitol Hill--you can easily get by without a car, and many people do. It's a totally different lifestyle than Minnesota. You just walk to the grocery store instead of driving, and you can ride the metro for trips outside your neighborhood. For times when you do need a car, car sharing services like Zipcar and Car2Go are very popular and much cheaper than insurance and maintenance costs associated with owning a car.

If you need to be near the metro you will already pay a big premium in rent for that privilege, so getting rid of your car would compensate for that.

Which law school are you going to?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Thank you for your reply! I really do appreciate the advice! However, I just bought my car in June and I'm not willing to sell it. I plan to drive back and forth to Minnesota with it for long holidays and during my summer associate positions in adjacent states.

I am planning on CUA - Columbus School of Law.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM

999 posts, read 2,012,104 times
Check out Silver Spring, MD. Many CUA grad students and law students live in the downtown Silver Spring area. Tons of apartments offer one-bedrooms and studios. Apartment complexes have parking available for residents and some don't even charge a parking fee. CUA is about 3 Metro stops from Silver Spring and it takes about 15-20 minutes between locations.

Many Silver Spring apartments in the downtown area have one-bedrooms and studio in your budget range. Check out the various Silver Spring apartment ratings at Silver Spring Apartments for Rent - Silver Spring Apartments Reviews and Ratings.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM

52 posts, read 121,749 times
If I were you, I would rethink going to Law school unless CUA gave you a full scholarship. There are a ton of unemployed lawyers in DC and you are going to graduate with over 200K in debt. Furthermore, there are 8 law schools within a 30 mile radius and every single one of them with the exception of UDC is ranked higher than CUA. Seriously rethink it.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM

199 posts, read 334,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatare View Post
If I were you, I would rethink going to Law school unless CUA gave you a full scholarship. There are a ton of unemployed lawyers in DC and you are going to graduate with over 200K in debt. Furthermore, there are 8 law schools within a 30 mile radius and every single one of them with the exception of UDC is ranked higher than CUA. Seriously rethink it.
Seconding this. The job market for new lawyers is abysmal, even from the top tier schools, and not only will you likely be going into six figures worth of debt with tuition alone at Catholic, potentially adding an extra 50,000+ to your student loan debts over the next three years for just rent would be brutal.

Best of luck to you if you do decide to go through with it though.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM

I work for a law firm right now and I'm well aware of the job market. It's saturated. But I've had a few years to understand this fact. I'm going to law school in DC, then moving back to Minnesota to take the bar. But that's not why I posted here. I want to live in DC this fall.

Thank you, coldbliss, I will check out Silver Spring. I also found some apartments off of Takoma (I would need to take a bus to the Metro) but they're decently priced and they have parking for tenants.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM

52 posts, read 121,749 times
Interesting career path, good luck with it.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:56 AM

32 posts, read 37,581 times
Sad when people are telling someone they don't know to rethink their career path. All the person wanted was information about apartments, which is what brought me to this thread. I say chase your dreams, a lot of job markets suck right now.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 AM

199 posts, read 334,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KileyGirl80 View Post
Sad when people are telling someone they don't know to rethink their career path. All the person wanted was information about apartments, which is what brought me to this thread. I say chase your dreams, a lot of job markets suck right now.
A lot of job markets do suck, but most of them don't require you to take on a debt that rivals most mortgages in America, with few prospects. I see way too many idealistic, starry-eyed kids going into law school STILL under the misguided belief that a cushy and well-paid BigLaw or Government job is waiting for them; all they have to do is get through law school and pass the bar.

It sounds like the OP has things figured out and has a plan, but a lot of people are not as careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC